Thread: Another "first track day" thread...

My Cars
    Brilliantrot E30 318is

Another "first track day" thread...

I'm attending my first HPDE May 24 at NHIS with the Boston Chapter BMW CCA.

One specific question: I'm running Hawk HPS pads right now front + rear on OEM rotors. Other than a fresh brake flush w/ high quality DOT 4, does anyone have any recommendations for upgrades before I hit the track? Track pads? I've already removed the factory dust shields up front per the tech sheet.

I'm not a total newb to driving, I've done a bunch of autocrosses and slow speed driving schools, but I plan to take it extremely easy during this first event. My car is, for sure, way beyond my skill level for the high speed stuff. (e30 318is w/ midly worked over S50, GC/Koni suspension w/ camber plates, hankook rs-2 205/50-15)

I'm open to any and all advice. Thanks!
    S50'ed 318is

My Cars
    4 old ones
    Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    I'm attending my first HPDE May 24 at NHIS with the Boston Chapter BMW CCA.

One specific question: I'm running Hawk HPS pads right now front + rear on OEM rotors. Other than a fresh brake flush w/ high quality DOT 4, does anyone have any recommendations for upgrades before I hit the track? Track pads? I've already removed the factory dust shields up front per the tech sheet.
    I think stock pads are OK for first HPDEs but it's been awhile since I was at NHIS.

Remove dust shields? Are you talking about the things people use between the hub and wheel or the factory shield behind the hub?

...steven BMWCCA 146825
    http://318ti.org | http://bmwcca.org/forum
    1995 318ti Club Sport - 1996 328ti Sport - 1991 325iC - 2003 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2006 M Coupe, 1949 Cadillac
    Start out stock. The fluid change is wise. Make sure you have sufficient pad material. That way you get a good baseline for your skill improvement. After that, make no more than one change between track events.

My Cars
    M3
    I would consider upgrading the pads after the first event or two, I don't know if my experience applies because my first events were on a 330ci (heavy), but I cooked my brakes (on BMW OEM fluid mind you) at my second event at VIR. Fast track, stock fluid and OEM pads = BAD. Of course the car was under warranty and I didn't want to mess around with after market parts back then.

My Cars
    E36 M3 x 2
    Brew, it's Will (most recently from the ADSS), send me a PM and we can get you worked out. With a little luck, I might even have my car at the event.

Cheers.
    Increasing the value of E30 M3's everywhere, one shunt at a time.

My Cars
    2004 330i & 1999 328i
    New fluid is all I would do. You might also appreciate some SS lines (if you're going to flush the brake fluid anyhow).

My Cars
    E36 M3 Techno, baby,
    NHIS is a big braking track. If this is your first event there, you should be OK with you current setup. We do suggest brake fluid changes. The HMS truck is usually on -site if you eat your pads and need new ones. I run PF01 front and PF97 rear with the "floating" rotors from BMW. No braking problems.

If you have any questions, ask the tech line people or your instructor. Feel free to find me if you can't find anyone else to talk to. Technoviolet M3-4 instructor group.

1998 E36 M3-4 track car Techoviolet
    1995 E36 M3-2 Boston green
    2006 E90 330xi

My Cars
    Brilliantrot E30 318is
    Thanks for the input guys. I just might step up to the HP+ pads at some point before May 24, so we'll see what happens. I know that I'll be having to scrub off a lot more speed at the end of the straights than stock 318s.
    S50'ed 318is

My Cars
    2006 M Coupe, 1949 Cadillac
    Thanks for the input guys. I just might step up to the HP+ pads at some point before May 24, so we'll see what happens. I know that I'll be having to scrub off a lot more speed at the end of the straights than stock 318s.
    The HP+ pads was my 1st step, too. They were sufficient in the early days at RA, but when my skill, confidence, and speed increased I moved to Carbotech XP8s. Next will probably be Carbotech XP10s.

My Cars
    e30M3, Jeep GC, 2.5RS
    I've been using Hawk HPS pads on the track for years. I know this sounds funny but you might want to brake less to save your pads.

Firmer pedal pressure for less duration will reduce fluid boiling.

A set of brake ducts with backing plates will do wonders for pad life.

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    You can never be too safe.

If you have auto X experience, then you may well roast those HPS pads.
    Your corner exit skill, and big motor may overtax the pads you have.
    Move on to the HP Plus and good fluid.
    Duct the front brakes if you wish.
    Nursing a car with sick brakes can take the fun out of a track day.

m