Thread: Question on Vacuum lines and Injector Seals

My Cars
    '82 320i

Question on Vacuum lines and Injector Seals

So I put my new seals and intake manifold, etc and intake boots back together and it runs! (First time in 3 months)

Question on vacuum lines tho. I've got a vacuum line on the drivers side of the car, coming vertically down off the throttle body. Where does this attach to? And is the vacuum line from the distributor supposed to be attached to the line coming out of the valve cover?

Also, what's the correct procedure to install the injector seals? I slid them onto the injectors and tried to pressed them down into the head, but they don't go in very easy. What's the correct installation procedure on those?

Thanks!
    '82 320i M10 Turbo with VEMS
    '95 525i with VEMS M50 PnP
    '99 528 Wagon

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i

:-) maybe that will help.
    The previous owner mangled alot of the wiring behind the dash. As far as I can tell, there was a drunken anger mangle going on back there.

My Cars
    81 320i
    looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss book
    the 80-83 320i's have, IMO, about a million less vacuum lines.

There are 2 vacuum nipples coming horizontally off the throttle body (the bigger one is for the charcoal canister, and the smaller one is for the ignition vacuum advance canister). There is also a throttle body warmer built into the throttle body...it uses 2 nipples for coolant to flow in/out.

Then there are 2 nipples coming vertically from under the intake manifold. One is for the crankcase breather hose (the plastic T-fitting coming off the valve cover), and the other is typically plugged (altho, some will have a dealer-installed hot-start system around there).

I found it easiest to put the seals on the injectors first (maybe lube it up w/ a little WD-40), and then press the injector in. Be careful not to damage the plastic fuel lines...take them off if you'll feel more comfortable. It sometimes takes a bit of elbow grease but it'll pop in (maybe use a clean rag on the injector top and use both hands to push down)

My Cars
    '82 320i
    So once the injectors have been seated, they shouldn't be easily pulled back out then? And the seals go on the injectors first, before sliding the unit into the head?
    '99 528 Wagon

My Cars
    81 320i
    yes, when you've got them seated in, it'll be pretty snug and the top of the seal will be maybe 1mm or so below the top of the injector hole.

...and yes, i'd recommend putting on the seals onto the injectors first. Mainly so you don't risk pushing the seal into the intake ports

My Cars
    '82 320i
    Got the injectors in. Just used a little motor oil on the seals, and they popped right into place easily.

Thanks!
    '99 528 Wagon

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by jbob View Post
    looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss book
    the 80-83 320i's have, IMO, about a million less vacuum lines.

hey now, I used that to hook up my vacuum lines! Worked great! But I guess in an 83 that wouldn't help huh? Crazy looking 83's...
    The previous owner mangled alot of the wiring behind the dash. As far as I can tell, there was a drunken anger mangle going on back there.