Thread: Cam Position Sensor Help

My Cars
    1997 328is

Cam Position Sensor Help

Hey all,
    CEL gave a CPS (p0340) code so i order the part and installed the sensor. Got done, cleaned up, started the car and the same code is there! Do i have to drive around for a while to let it cycle a few times through, or should the CEL just have gone out? Any help is greatly appreciated! (yes i did an extensive search and i found nothing great to answer my question) Thanks,
    Harry

My Cars
    '99 Techno Violet M3
    I just did mine over the weekend as well. You have to erase the code with the OBD scanner tool for the CE light to go out.

My Cars
    E38 2001 m; 99528iT sprt
    +1

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Ric View Post
    I just did mine over the weekend as well. You have to erase the code with the OBD scanner tool for the CE light to go out.
    Did that and then did it some more and more and more! Still the same code being thrown. Went back and checked all connections and everything is fine. Any other suggestions? Also using the scanner from autozone if that helps. Thanks

My Cars
    1997 328is
    ^^^^ Anybody?

My Cars
    1997 328is
    One more time ttt. It has been 2 days now and i have driven around with the new sensor and still can't shut off the CEL. Still throws the same 2 codes p0340. Could it be anything else that is causing this error code? Bad sensor from pelican? This is driving me crazy and i have emissions due. Thanks in advance.
    Harry

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes?

My Cars
    '99 M3, '94 318IC
    Hi, the definition of insanity is to perform the same act over and over again but to expect different results. If the code suggests it's the Cam Pos Sensor, then what really is going on is that the signal from the CPS is not getting to the PCM. This may be caused by the actual sensor being worn and defective or it may be because the wires carrying the signal is worn and defective. If you replaced the sensor with a known good one, then I suggest checking the harness for corrosion and follow the wires for breakage.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Hi, the definition of insanity is to perform the same act over and over again but to expect different results. If the code suggests it's the Cam Pos Sensor, then what really is going on is that the signal from the CPS is not getting to the PCM. This may be caused by the actual sensor being worn and defective or it may be because the wires carrying the signal is worn and defective. If you replaced the sensor with a known good one, then I suggest checking the harness for corrosion and follow the wires for breakage.
    Don't know if it the 's or what....(LOL) But perfectly worded for me to take a look tomorrow afternoon! Will also try to disconnect the battery which i don't think matters for my generation. Thanks for the replies.
    Harry

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Well...I checked all connections for the sensor and everything is ok. I have a buddy at the stealership so maybe i will call him up and ask him to take a look at it. Can anyone think of why it is still showing me the p0340 code? Any suggestions are welcome! Will keep up with updates. Thanks,
    Harry

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Just to update:
    Took the car to my buddy at the stealer and they tried everything possible to clear the code, then....he tested the volts, and sure enough....The volts were too low to keep the light from staying off. New battery and off i went! Money!

My Cars
    Z4 M coupe
    OK here is an update, I have the same problem.... cam position sensor. I replaced with a new one... same problem, I replaced that one with another new one, same problem. I checked the wiring, all is well.... I have a new battery too.

This is the code: 1244 Camshaft Position Sensor Displayed when the signal from the camshaft pulse generator is out of spec or absent. May indicate a problem with the injector side of the DME output stage.

So, now that I have ruled out a bad cam sensor.... whats this mess about the injector side of the dme output stage? (I have swapped ECU's with a friend and I STILL get the code.... wtf... are my denso 24lb injectors causing some sort of problem?)
    1/4 mile in 13.1 @ 106++ (calculators put this at 0-60 in "4.21" seconds.)