Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics of my E36 Double Din Touchscreen/NAV/DVD

m3steve is offline BFC Consumerist / PNW Mod
    My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Is there enough depth behind the sunglass holder/computer to install a double-DIN?
    yes with a little modification, but im not sure why you would want a screen there, the shiftknob would block your view.

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by //m320is View Post
    Is the plastic used around the head unit textured? I think it would look more "Stock" if it were smooth. We have done this a couple of times down here at my shop, it definatly is a chore getting the abs to "mold" correctly. Nice Job tho...why did you decide on the D3? Price?
    Yes it is slightly textured, and so is the vinyl surrounding the entire dash. I don't think it would look anything close to the same if it were smooth. Also, with the molding of the abs. It's impossible to get it to mold by itself to the depth of the D3, you literally have to cut into the ducting and find an alternative way to recreate about 5 inches worth of sealing an open area. The D3 is a fantastic unit, well priced, and retained a more stock feel in my opinion. The z2 was heavily overpriced.

My Cars
    88 M3, 09 Triumph D675
    stevenstarr, please check your Pm's

My Cars
    00s400s495 M300e39
    can you please send me some finished pics....i am attempting to do the exact same thing.....who made your face plate??? or where did you get it?

My Cars
    '90 325i
    wow, great craftsmanship on the installation, hope it all works out cleanly for you!

My Cars
    MTree
    Wow.. I've been waiting for someone to do this for a long time. Especially since the AVIC D3 came out.

Keep us posted on the finished product and if your installer would be willing to make some custom pieces for us. If it's a one day job, I might even fly him down here from Seattle...

I'm def. thinking about going this route or carputer route:

Great Job!

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    almost finished with the front vinyl wrap, should look alot better

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci
    man that looks nice Thats how I wanted mine to look didnt come out that way but yours looks nice

My Cars
    MTree
    Update?

My Cars
    95 Cosmos M3, 78 corvette, 03 Suzuki Bandit 1200
    Nice job!

My Cars
    1998 318i

Pics??

Can you post some pics of the install?

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jochoajr1 View Post
    Can you post some pics of the install?
    I posted pics of the installation, if you are asking for a DIY, I unfortunately dont have that, this job took 3 guys, over 40 hours to complete......there isnt anything in the interior center of my car that wasn't custom fitted, and not really by choice, there just wasn't any other way to do it. Not to mention the proximity sensor that is underneath it, and retrofitting the armrest, (i got tired of my elbow in the cupholder)

My Cars
    1993 525i

My Cars
    1995 BLACK BMW 325
    I just want to let everybody know that i've been working on the same project. Steve has helped me so much during this install and i wouldn't be able to have gotten this far.

Thanks for the help steve, and i hope my setup looks as good as yours.

And, i added a little something..... I want to try to get a retractable cord where the ashtray is for my ipod. That way instead of a ashtray, there will be an ipod sitting on a custom dock, with a retractable cord. So you can pull it out, change the video (wich i think is a fault of the d3's.... you have to change videos on your ipod, you can't do it on your deck. Videos only though, the music works great!!!) and when you place it back, there won't be a cord hanging all over the place.

I'll keep you posted on the whole thing!!

THanks again!

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    out of the millions of people that have tried to contact me about how to do this install...............ted is the only one that listened............eventually It has to be cut way deeper then everyone thinks. Good job dude, you really stayed persistant with it, cant wait to see the finished product

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    ****Update..........
    We just installed the pioneer bluetooth module. Its always a chore to pull the deck out, and I had to replace my center vent, so we figured it would be a good time to wire it up. I thought it was pretty cool tonight on my way home, I answered a call on the touchscreen, the person on the other end could hear me loud and clear, then the Navigation voice kicked in, and said " in 1/10th of a mile, turn right", and the person on the other end heard that as well. Not too bad considering the car is 11 years old

My Cars
    '06 Spark. Graph. 330XI
    I would love to get more info on your install so i can decide if it is worth it to attempt a double din install. How long did it take you? Was it hard to relocate the HVAC?

p.s. I love the D3

'96 Calypso 328is (sold)
    '06 Sparkling Graphite 330xi

My Cars
    1995 BLACK BMW 325
    I put the bluetooth in when i put the unit in. It works GREAT!!! I drive top down on the freeway the people don't even know they're on speakerphone!! The only thing is i have to talk a little louder on the freeway. My mic is hidden by the rear view mirror so i guess it doesn't get the wind there.

If you're planning on doing this project just know it is worth if you do it right!!! My Dual climate control doesn't work anymore because you have to cut into the heater box. Inside the heater box there are so many flaps and chambers, each with it's own purpose. I can't speak for others, but mine went smooth. It was alot of work, and I ended up having to do it TWICE. The first time i made the hole (which is the pics you see here) it wasn't deep enough. So i had to cut another inch and a half back.

So all in all. It's a great unit aside from the Ipod video. It's pretty much useless. I don't know if it's just me, but the picture quality isn't very good at all... It's comparible to an OLD VCR with the tracking a little off....

That being said.... The video quality for DVD's and dvix is GREAT!!! Overall i love the unit and the whole setup. For video purposes though, i suggest burning them onto a dvd so it's much clearer.

Here are the pix of my install and my car

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    people don't believe us when we tell them how much work it is lol.............
    As for time. Mine took two master installers and myself about 40 hours.........keep in mind, since it had never been done before, there was ALOT of trial and error, a little bit of which I was able to pass onto Teddeee. Good job dude. I'm going to post some more pictures once I get my trim wrapped correctly.

My Cars
    '95 ///3
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenstarr View Post
    people don't believe us when we tell them how much work it is lol.............
    As for time. Mine took two master installers and myself about 40 hours.........keep in mind, since it had never been done before, there was ALOT of trial and error, a little bit of which I was able to pass onto Teddeee. Good job dude. I'm going to post some more pictures once I get my trim wrapped correctly.

Respec' due.......

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    This one is especially nice:

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
    This one is especially nice:

not really sure what you mean

My Cars
    1994 325IS,1992 MR2, 2004 Xterra
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Is there enough depth behind the sunglass holder/computer to install a double-DIN?
    Someone mentioned that the shifter would block it.

I beg to differ. If you think about it, neither the driver nor the passenger's view would be blocked. The only time this would be even close to happening for me (automatic) is when it is in park.

Does anyone else have any reasons why this would not be an ideal location?

I am considering removing the sunglass holder completely, and re-locating the OBC to where the current single din stereo is.

Would this be an unwise decision? If so, why? Or why not?

Thanks!-James

edit to add:

Quote Originally Posted by rd99m3 View Post
    I recently went to Car Toyz, a pretty reputable place in town to see if they could do it. Supposedly the sunglass tray even when cut out, doesnt have enough depth for one theres some metal bar in there stopping
    Can someone verify whether or not this is true?
    94 325Is

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveXterra View Post
    Someone mentioned that the shifter would block it.

I beg to differ. If you think about it, neither the driver nor the passenger's view would be blocked. The only time this would be even close to happening for me (automatic) is when it is in park.

Does anyone else have any reasons why this would not be an ideal location?

I am considering removing the sunglass holder completely, and re-locating the OBC to where the current single din stereo is.

Would this be an unwise decision? If so, why? Or why not?

Thanks!-James

edit to add:

Can someone verify whether or not this is true?
    yes, that is accurate, at least for a full depth double din. You can get away with a carputer/lilliput

My Cars
    97 318is
    i wanted something similar but, i wanted to delete my 7 button OBC and sunglass tray and have a guy make a kit for my GPS...... guy wanted $600

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast