Thread: E32/34 OBC Hidden Functions

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3

E32/34 OBC Hidden Functions

Getting into the Test Codes:
    ============================
    Push OBC buttons 1000 and 10 together. You will see the word Test. By pressing a combination of the 10 and 1's you can enter Test Codes from 1 to 21. After entering the number press R/S and you will get a continuous display of the test function. To cancel, just press any of the OBC function keys.

List of Available Tests:
    ========================
    Test Number Description
    1 Display Test (all LCDs and LEDs activate)
    2 Current Consumption in litres / 100 km
    3 Current Consumption in litres / hour
    4 Average consumption (used in calculating range)
    5 Current Range
    6 Not used (this function is active on some, but not sure of the purpose)
    7 Fuel Remaining in Tank (litres)
    8 Current speed (km/h)
    9 System Voltage at Terminal R
    10 Country / Language
    11 Units / am.pm
    12 Average speed (km/h) for calculating ETA
    13 ETA
    14 Date of software / mask of OBC
    15 Production Diagnosis
    16 Production Diagnosis
    17 Display Vehicle Specific Data
    18 Alarm Changeover (continuous vs. intermittent)
    19 Lock / Unlock all functions (Sum of month and date to unlock or lock)
    20 Correction Factor for OBC Fuel Consumption
    21 Reset all defect codes, date and time

!!! You need to unlock the OBC before you can change the settings. !!!

How to lock and unlock the OBC:
    ===============================
    To unlock the OBC, first press the date key, and add the month and day together. So, if the date is displayed as "0704", the result is "11".

Go to test 19 by pressing the 1000 and 10 buttons together, and then typing in the test number (19)·

You will see the word "LOCK" displayed. Type in the result from step 1 above, and press S/R·

If you display test 19 again, it will now display "FREI", indicating the system is now unlocked.

To lock the system again, go to test 19, and press the little button on the top left hand corner of the OBC (F/C).

How to correct your fuel consumption readout:
    =============================================
    If your car is anything like mine, the fuel consumption readout will be way out. But it can be adjusted! First, you need to measure your fuel consumption as accurately as possible, by filling up the tank, driving until nearly empty, filling again, and figuring out your fuel consumption, in either litres / 100 kms, or MPG. At this point, also note what the fuel consumption as reported by the OBC is. You need both figures to make the adjustment. Once you have that accurate figure, follow the following procedure:

Unlock the OBC as described above.

Go to test 20.

This is the existing fuel consumption constant used in the calculation.

Find the ratio between the old consumption reading, and the actual consumption reading:

For litres per 100kms, this is the actual consumption divided by the reported consumption.

For MPG, it is the opposite. Ie. It is the reported consumption divided by the actual consumption.

Now multiply that ratio with the existing fuel consumption constant, the result is the new constant.

Simply type in the new constant, and press S/R NOTE: Some claim that for some reason, if you don't drive your car for a day or two, the constant will reset back to 1000.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Q: Is it possible to change the display language from German to English (or indeed other languages) when reprogramming the OBC ?

A: It is indeed possible to change the country code on an E32/34 OBC. Strangely enough, I couldn't do it on the E39. On E39, you can see and even unlock the test codes, but it still doesn't let you change the country code. Are we going backwards? In any case here is how to do it on E32/34:

1) Get into the test mode and unlock the OBC following the instructions in my original message.
    2) Go to Test 10.
    3) By default, the country code is set to "LAND:0 D" which is Deutschland.
    4) Scroll though other countries by pressing "1". US is country code "LAND:2 USA" for example.
    5) When you see the country you want, press the "S/R" key to set it.
    6) Press the check key to test.

Note: When you set it to USA or UK, you will probably get the British Measurements. If you prefer metric ones (Km, Km/hr, Ltr. etc.) like I do, you will have to set each display separately. But you don't have to be in the test mode for that.

Q: Do you know if it is possible to change the warning display language (ie the messages which appear above the service indicator lights on the dashboard, such as 'Handbrake On' 'Low Oil Pressure' etc - the default is German - can it be changed to other languages?).

A: You have to do this:

1. Turn the ignition key to position one (first click).

2. Push and hold down the cc button (right one).

3. After 5-10 seconds in the cc display will appear a language name. If you want this language turn off the ignition and it is done. If you donīt want this language go again to step 2...

P.S: be patient, there are lot of languages... also English UK and English US

This was posted on http://www.m5board.com/
    (I copied excerpts of the various postings as concentrate)
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    04/2000 e46 328i/5
    Thankyou Shogun, I was just saying to myself yesterday that I need to learn more of the OBC capabilitites. You honor us with your wisdom and service.
    ~Danno

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2657106

03/1988 E32 735i/5 Wht/Blk; Orig 5spd, Bilstein sport struts&shocks w/ Bavauto sport springs&rear install kit w/ fr&rear mounts&pads, FCP Groton 16 piece complete front suspension kit w/ M5 Control arms, M-Technik Anti-Roll bars&bushings, Cat delete w/magnaflow fwd resonator and DTM tips, Slim line prolumin 6500k hids, Yellow Lamin-x'd Fogs, Full 35% tint, Wethertech Ventshades, Sunroof wind deflector, Bavauto plush floormats, Munich front plate, Chrome guage rings: (Marilyn)
    01/2001 E53 X5 3.0 5spd sport/prem Blu/Blk; No mods. (The Frau's ride)
    12/1999 E39 528i/5 sport/prem Blk/Blk; CDV delete, M5 Grilles: (Betty)
    88 E32 730i/5 (eurospec) Slvr/gry; K&N drop-in, DTM Tips: Sold (while still living in Germany *sniff*)
    81 E23 735i/5 (gray mkt Alpina) Grn/Wht: Sold (before moving to Germany **uber sniff**)

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    You are welcome. I am just your humble servant

My Cars
    89 750 IL/89 Sunbird GT/92 Sunbird LE/97 Trans Am
    you sir, have just brightened my day, I am eternally grateful.

My Cars
    '88 E32 735i (09/87)
    For 17. Display vehicle specific data. Does that include showing the mileage? Is it possible to show it on the obc? Shop just called me and told me the display on cluster is lighting but blank and they can't see the mileage for the inspection..

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Does not show the mileage, the mileage is only stored in the cluster chip http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/obc_...c_secrets.html
    If they cannot see it, maybe the bulb is dead? Use a flaslight and shine on the display in an angle, if the numbers are shown, bulb(s) dead

My Cars
    '88 E32 735i (09/87)
    Alright, I'll try that today during lunch. It started to work fine when I got home from the shop actually lol. Shut the car off, and started her back up. Got the fasten seat belts message, odometer showed up, everything looked good. Started up this morning and no dice... maybe something is loose... I read that lowering the steering gets you enough room to remove the cluster, doesnt sound too tough I'll read into the DIY a little more closely when I get some free time. I guess that's the first place to start? Or maybe a fuse...

My Cars
    '88 E32 735i (09/87)
    Well it was on and off but has not come on last few days. Flash light doesn't help show the display. Since my steering wheel doesn't come equipped with an airbag the removal of the cluster looks very simple and straightforward.

I'm looking to track down the capacitors needed to replace on the cluster and on ebay, but they look so different. From the DIY here http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/dash...dash_caps.html I see that I need 3 220 uF 40v caps and 2 20 uF 40v caps. (Maybe 16v instead of 40v? Shows that 220uF/16v was used but on the bottom where it shows parts needed it says 40v...)

Anyone can send me a link of an ad or site that sells the ones needed to do the replacement? Going to search for local shops that maybe sell them as well.
    Last edited by Adi25; 05-24-2014 at 05:37 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    For sure the electronic experts can tell you more details.
    I changed on a cluster with grey backplate the capacitors. There were 2 47mF 40 Volt and 3 220mF 16 Volt. I replaced them ALL with 35 Volt ones.
    You just have to pay attention to the diameter, otherwise they do not fit, max. thickness/diameter of 10 mm is possible and NOT high than 16 mm.
    The distance between the "feet/legs" of the capacitor should be 5 mm.

The ones I changed on another cluster were 22mF, replaced now by 47mF.
    In some clusters there are instead 47mF also 22mF installed, open your cluster then you see what is inside. What I was told: Better are capacitors which can stand a temperature of 105° Celsius. Because in summer time the temperatures are hot inside the cluster and also the electronics produce heat. That is accdg to my opinion the reasons why the capacitors dry up.
    Maybe you contact E32Fan, he should probably have them on stock and lives in Canada. He can also repair your cluster and other electronics parts.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 735i
    This is a job I need to get on to, along with replacing some bulbs. When my odometer lights go off I just give it a smack on the site of the cluster housing and the come back on. Lazy fix.

My Cars
    735iL - 1989
    My cluster needed 4 caps - 2 @ 22 uF, 1 at 220 uF and 1 at 1000 uF.

These part numbers are Nichicon and they are all 25 VDC.

22uF = UPW1E220MDD1TD

220 uF = UPW1E221MPD

1000 uF = UVR1E102MPD

You can order these online from DigiKey.ca for a few $CAD. Overnight courier is just $8 CAD, so you can have them on your doorstep on Wednesday for under $15 total.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    E32 Radio and OBC light replacement write up with PICTURES! http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/560290
    the hidden fuse for OBC and anti theft alarm http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/236235
    OBC Removal & backlight replacement, includes radio removal, e32, e34 http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_36.htm

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Questions to the electr. experts:
    I replaced earlier this year the OBC IV as that caused constant beeping of the gong, even with key out of ignition. Someone told me most probably it is a capacitor problem inside the defective OBC IV. Should install new ones to repair the OBC.
    Anyone done this? Any data which ones and qty to order?