Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best BBK around $1800

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2

Best BBK around $1800

Thinking about jumping for a BBK for the front. A few requirements-

MUST fit under 17" wheels (spacers ok)
    Price should be under $2k, around $1700 or $1800 better
    Preferably red calipers (for cosmetics of course)
    THEY STOP ON A DIME lol I guess that is a given

Been looking at the RE and the UUC...

Any experiences you would like to share? Any others I should consider?

My Cars
    04 Jet Black E46 ///M3

My Cars
    04 E55, 04 Touareg, 97 M3, 00 996 cab, 86 944T
    Prospeedmotorsports.com

Eugene
    97 M3/2 5spd - Hellrot - for sale!
    Dinan Stage V/CAI/big TB/3.5"HFM/OBD I intake
    Dinan strutbrace/ X-brace
    Schrick cams
    euro 6spd/3.64 rear diff, 320i mounts
    AA gen III exhaust/track pipe/HIOP headers/02 simulators
    RS SSK, UUC clutchstop, clutchpedal bushings
    993TT front & 996 rear brakes, Hawk HPS/ SS lines/ ATE Super Blue
    Kinesis K20's 18x8.5,9.5, OZ Superleggera 18x9
    Eibach sways, H&R coilovers
    URI UD pulleys
    RedLine diff/tranny fluid
    PowerFlex RTAB, TCKline rear control arms, PowerFlex front control arm bushings
    98 M-Roadster boot, ECIS shield
    fan clutch delete, 80 C thermostat and fan switch
    Euro dual-pickup oil pan
    finned RE rear diff cover
    AC Schnitzer euro steering wheel

My Cars
    02 C32 AMG, 00 RX 300, 96 Legacy Wagon
    Don't forget these...

http://www.ecisbmw.com/product_files/brakes/brakes.htm

on sale to boot...
    Sean Cain
    "Filter Out the Competition"

My Cars
    No car at the moment
    prospeed is not selling brake kits no more

My Cars
    see sig
    Originally posted by E\/O
    prospeed is not selling brake kits no more

wtf? what happened?
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    wtf? what happened?
    The prices he was selling them at, he was not making a dime. He was trying to break into the market by undercutting everyone else...I guess it didn't work.
    Sean Cain

My Cars
    Past: E36 95 3.2 OBD1
    I have a Stoptech BBK for sale with red calipers. Let me know if you are interested. You will need either 15-20 mm spacers to clear the stock wheels.

There are guys who are afraid of the rev limiter and there are guys who use it to save a shift

My Cars
    F31, E28, E36/7
    Very interesting that Prospeed has decided to get out of BBK all together. I have had my kit on order since early December and it sounds like I should have it in another week or so. I know there are people on this board that have been waiting longer than me. I just hope that Prospeed follows through with those of us that have paid for this kit and have yet to recieve it...

My Cars
    95 318ic/sc +11 tsx
    spoke w/mike at prospeed today
    he said the kits will still be available however he is trying to
    get his parts from other vendors

he asked that i post this

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe, 08 535xiT
    Wow, that's a pretty good deal on the ECIS BBK. Aren't the e46 Euro rotors something like $200 EACH? However, if you can get the specs needed to make the mounting bracket for the caliper (and had access to a CAD program and a machine shop), I'm sure you could piece together that kit for not too much money.
    2007 335i Coupe - Space Grey/Coral Red

My Cars
    z06 & Sierra HD
    check out Rogue Engineering
    do you even know what a plethora is?

My Cars
    1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
    To set the record straight, Prospeed is not getting out of the BBK biz because of low margins/profits. In fact, without going into the details, BBKs are EXTEMELY profitable.

I am getting out of the BBKs due to many other reasons, the primary one being, with the national release of the Prospeed GS610 brake fluid in April and all that is involved with that, I simply do not have the time to devote to the BBKs. I don't have the time to follow threads on the forums, etc.

I feel terrible about the constant delays in getting the pre-sold kits to my customers and I also don't want that to ever happen again. Frankly, if I had been one of those guys I would be mad as h_ll. My sincerest thanks to all of them as they all have been very understanding.

I am picking up the parts today and then they go to receive the finish. And then the last parts will go out to the guys that purchased the kits.

I will also have a substancal excess inventory of BBK parts (adapters, hats, hardware, SS lines) for sale. With the inventory, I will provide all the Porsche part numbers, Porsche part sources, wholesale prices and even the CAD drawing so the purchaser can easily produce more parts as necessary. Interested parties should contact me directly at michael@prospeedmotorsport.com or call me at 651.699.3129

This could be a great, highly profitable small biz for someone or a high margin addition to a BMW hobbiest/tuner/shop.

As to ECIS and the Rogue Engineering kits, the front kits are decent kits. Be aware they are the smaller calipers with a 40/36 mm pistons from the Boxster S/996. Note the consistently best performing kits (Movit, Brembo, Stoptech, Porsche) are those with the larger 44/36 mm pistons and larger rotors. Also please note, both the ECIS and the Rogue REAR kits are dangerous as they use the stock BMW rotor, which is only 20 mm thick.

The problem with this is the Boxster/996 rear caliper was designed for a 24 mm thick rotor. The BMW rotor these guys use is 20 mm thick. With this 4 mm difference, the probablilty you will hyper extend the pistons or worse, blow them out of the bore is quite high. I have been down this road with the Audi guys about 2 yrs ago. If the disc is worn 1 mm (.5mm each side) and the pad material is worn only 25% you are within 1 mm of the piston extending past the inner pressure seal and you will have pulled the dust boot out of its position and will get road crap into the bore.

I have nothing against these guys and certainly wish them well, (maybe one of them is interested in my inventory) but this is a accident waiting to happen. Please take note of this. And if you attempt to space the pad out to take up the difference, you begin to run the risk of the pad falling out of the caliper. The front kits are fine, but these rear kits are a very poor and dangerous design.

HTH folks understand what is going on here. And that you will all be customers of the brake fluid when it comes out!!
    Michael G. Wachholz
    Prospeed, Inc.

Makers of Prospeed RS683 Xtreme Performance Brake Fluid™
    The ONLY racing/high performance brake fluid developed and produced in the USA
    http://www.RS683.com

My Cars
    Michael,

Maybe I should have written my post differently. I was not knocking your product, just stating what I thought happened. I was suprised to hear that you were dropping the line. There are alot different BBK's out and the market foir BMW's which makes things tight. That was what I was referencing.

On to your comments....

As to ECIS and the Rogue Engineering kits, the front kits are decent kits. Be aware they are the smaller calipers with a 40/36 mm pistons from the Boxster S/996. Note the consistently best performing kits (Movit, Brembo, Stoptech, Porsche) are those with the larger 44/36 mm pistons and larger rotors.
    We have always stated the size of the calipers and our BBK performs very well. The large 44/36 mm pistons are good, but have cleareance problems (wheel) and we feel are overkill for the E36/E46 cars. We put together an affordable BBK that performs very well at the track and on the street. The rotors and pads are off the shelf and can be replaced at any time. Not the same for most of the larger BBK's.

We feel that the performance difference between our kit and the larger versions (Movit) is not worth the extra $$$. Anyone who has used our kit is very happy with the performance. Nothing but positive comments and happy customers.

The problem with this is the Boxster/996 rear caliper was designed for a 24 mm thick rotor. The BMW rotor these guys use is 20 mm thick. With this 4 mm difference, the probablilty you will hyper extend the pistons or worse, blow them out of the bore is quite high. I have been down this road with the Audi guys about 2 yrs ago. If the disc is worn 1 mm (.5mm each side) and the pad material is worn only 25% you are within 1 mm of the piston extending past the inner pressure seal and you will have pulled the dust boot out of its position and will get road crap into the bore.
    I have to disagree with you Michael. You went down this road with Audi's, but have you seen the failure with BMW's. I doubt it.
    First of, the pad can NEVER fall out because it has the stablizing pin runnining trough the top of it connected on both sides of the caliper. Even with the harsh testing we did, there was zero problems with the front or rear caliper/pad.

I wish you would not print misinformation just because you were unhappy with my post (as you have done with Steve D).

Secondly, we EXTENSIVELY tested out front and rear BBK's at Summit Point Race Track before we even released them. At this time we have several club racers and many track junkies using our BBK WITHOUT a single problem (front or rear). Again, NO problems.

And if you attempt to space the pad out to take up the difference, you begin to run the risk of the pad falling out of the caliper. The front kits are fine, but these rear kits are a very poor and dangerous design.
    Pads range in sizes and can actually take up the "gap" you are talking about, so the supposed 4mm"problem" is more like 2mm which will not cause a problem with the caliper. Again, THE PAD WILL NOT EVER FALL OUT of our Big Brake Kit, front or rear because of the caliper pin that is designed to hold it in place (front and rear).

Also, Turner Motorsport sells a kit very similar to ours, do you think TMS is going to sell a dangerous product with all their racing background. I don't think so...

I don't wish to make a war out of this thread, but I must defend my product when there is this type of misinformation posted. I wish you luck with the Brake fluid and if I ever need larger calipers I will give you a call.
    Sean Cain

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Didn't mean to start a flame war...

My Cars
    Lots
    Whoa....

Anyway, Sean, did you get my email reply to you a week or so ago? I need to talk to you about getting some unrelated inventory FROM you.

Please look through your emails or get back to me.

My Cars
    Jim,

Yes, I did...I thought Kenny talked to you...sorry.

The last two weeks have been HELL...

I will send you the pricing today.

Again, sorry for not getting back to you.
    Sean Cain

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes

Re: Best BBK around $1800

Originally posted by ss109
    Thinking about jumping for a BBK for the front. A few requirements-

MUST fit under 17" wheels (spacers ok)
    Price should be under $2k, around $1700 or $1800 better
    Preferably red calipers (for cosmetics of course)
    THEY STOP ON A DIME lol I guess that is a given

Been looking at the UUC...

Bear in mind that new products are emerging all the time...

----------
    NOT with that company any more.

My Cars
    04 E55, 04 Touareg, 97 M3, 00 996 cab, 86 944T
    Rob, are those Wilwoods?

Eugene
    97 M3/2 5spd - Hellrot - for sale!
    Dinan Stage V/CAI/big TB/3.5"HFM/OBD I intake
    Dinan strutbrace/ X-brace
    Schrick cams
    euro 6spd/3.64 rear diff, 320i mounts
    AA gen III exhaust/track pipe/HIOP headers/02 simulators
    RS SSK, UUC clutchstop, clutchpedal bushings
    993TT front & 996 rear brakes, Hawk HPS/ SS lines/ ATE Super Blue
    Kinesis K20's 18x8.5,9.5, OZ Superleggera 18x9
    Eibach sways, H&R coilovers
    URI UD pulleys
    RedLine diff/tranny fluid
    PowerFlex RTAB, TCKline rear control arms, PowerFlex front control arm bushings
    98 M-Roadster boot, ECIS shield
    fan clutch delete, 80 C thermostat and fan switch
    Euro dual-pickup oil pan
    finned RE rear diff cover
    AC Schnitzer euro steering wheel

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Originally posted by eclou
    Rob, are those Wilwoods?
    Nope. These are fully-sealed, streetable/trackable made-in-USA units fabricated for UUC under license by one of the largest domestic manufacturers.

All details to be released shortly.
    ----------

My Cars
    BMW
    Originally posted by Rob Levinson
    Nope. These are fully-sealed, streetable/trackable made-in-USA units fabricated for UUC under license by one of the largest domestic manufacturers.

All details to be released shortly.
    Rob:
    Is this kit the one you currently offer or is the current one going to be updated ?

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Originally posted by aceves
    Rob:
    Is this kit the one you currently offer or is the current one going to be updated ?
    This is not the VSB kit currently offered, and is called UBBK in order to avoid nomenclature confusion.
    ----------

My Cars
    BMW
    When will it be available, I'm gonna have my tax return burning a hole in my pocket pretty soon

My Cars
    95 318ic/sc +11 tsx
    i purchased a front porsche bbk today from prospeed
    however that uuc looks sweet

is that caliper silver or chrome?
    and will you have a rear kit available for a 318?

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Originally posted by aceves
    When will it be available, I'm gonna gave my tax return burning a hole in my pocket pretty soon
    Uh-oh, the "when" question!

We are stockpiling inventory so there will be no wait or backorder when it is "officially" announced and on the web site. At this point, the M3 fitment is probably (note "probably" as opposed to "guaranteed"!) no more than a couple of weeks away.

Pricing has not yet been set, but introductory pricing will almost allow you to get the front and rear kits for around the same price as some of the pricier German-made products.
    ----------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast