Thread: Color and Transmission Help!!!

My Cars
    2002 M3

Question Color and Transmission Help!!!

I need some opinions on color and transmission.

So,

Laguna Seca Blue vs. Carbon Black

Six-speed vs. SMG II

In your humble opinions, which one should I get?

And by the way, since most of you know what Carbon Black looks like here is a picture of Laguna Seca Blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98 M3 2dr, Estoril/grey, 5spd
    Carbon Black all the way....so nice. I am not a fan of the Laguna Seca Blue, it looks dull and flat. Of course, 5 minutes after you wax the black it's dirty HA! As far as transmission, again I am completely sold on the 6-speed. I believe having a manual transmission is what driving is all about. The power to control the car in as many ways as possible. It's not just being able to decide which gear you want, it's the finesse of dancing on the clutch and snicking the shifter into gear as you power through a hard corner...yummy. Must go take a cold shower now.

My Cars
    RIP:'93 325i ; '07 e61 x
    I like both colors, but would probably lean towards the blue.
    I agree with jkearns13. I wish I had a manual!
    3rd Infantry Division, United States Army

"Rock of the Marne!"

My Cars
    2003 325xi
    Blue! That is such a cool color.
    I'm indifferent about the transmission. Yes, the manual is all about driving, but the SMG is cool too.

My Cars
    Roller Blades
    Do they still offer Phoenix Yellow? If so, I would go with that color.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    LSB looks very very dull in person if it is an overcast day.

If you're choosing between only those colors, I would get Carbon Black. Definitely a classy color.

As for transmission, 6 speed without a doubt. SMG is cool, but unless you really need the 'automatic' function(which it seems you don't judging by your indecision) I'd go clutch and stick in a heartbeat.

My Cars
    check the sig...
    It is really difficult to tell what LSB looks like from a photo. You need to take a look at it up close. The picture that you posted looks way too dark to be LSB.

Personally, I do not like the color very much. It looks like a Smurf. I have seen a few on the road and, depending on the lighting conditions (sunny or cloudy) the same car can look very different.

I ordered my in Carbon Black (which is also the same color as our M5). I just think it is a classy color, and I don’t want to stand out too much on the road.

As for your transmission decision… You should probably go a drive the SMG to see if you like it. North Scottsdale did not have any for me to test drive when I went in December, but Chapman did. I didn’t push the car too hard, because I really wasn’t trying to test the performance. I just wanted to know how the tranny felt.

I like SMG a lot, it was the first option that I picked for my M3. However, it may not be for everyone. I want it because I am probably going to track the car 4 or 5 times a year out a PIR. The SMG is going to be great on the track and finally eliminate the need for heel-n-toe.

Some people may not like it if they are into the “street racing” scene. You cannot really dump the clutch and smoke the tires. There is a launch control that people talk about, but I am not too familiar with it, besides, I doubt I will ever use it since I am not in to stop light racing.

One other thing, SMG comes with rear Park Distance Control. There is no option to have that removed. So, if you don’t want the sensors on your back bumper you cannot have SMG.

I just got my March 21st production number and I should have the car at the end of April – early May. My situation has been a little strange because I am working a trade with the Cadillac dealership. You see, back in December I won a 2003 Cadillac Escalade, through Arizona Easter Seals. Seeing that I have absolutely no desire to ever own an Escalade, I am trading that thing before I even take it off the lot.

Anyway, I configured my M3 as follow:

Carbon Black Exterior
    Black Leather
    SMG (with PDC)
    Premium Package
    Adjustable Seat Width/Lumbar Support
    Bi-xenon lights
    HK Sound

Who is your sales person?
    GNALUZU

'03 M3 w/ SMG
    -SuperSprint Race Exhaust -K&N 63 Intake
    -Ground Control Street/Race Adjustable Camber Plates
    -RRT Brake Cooling Kit -PowerSlot Slotted Rotors
    -Cobalt Friction Spec VR race pads (track use only)
    -18x9.5 Comp SSRs wrapped in Dunlop Super Sport R Compound (track use only)

My Cars
    s/c '95 m3, ‘17 fo
    carbon black, 6 spd.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    another vote for Black/Black and a six speed. The M3 looks awesome in black and so-so in Blue. Never Driven an SMG but read alot about it and dont hink it would be for me.
    E36 3 Series Parts For Sale.