Thread: Color and Transmission help!!!

My Cars
    2002 M3

Question Color and Transmission help!!!

I need some opinions on color and transmission.

So,

Laguna Seca Blue vs. Carbon Black

Six-speed vs. SMG II

In your humble opinions, which one should I get?

And by the way, since most of you know what Carbon Black looks like here is a picture of Laguna Seca Blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    check the sig...
    It is really difficult to tell what LSB looks like from a photo. You need to take a look at it up close. The picture that you posted looks way too dark to be LSB.

Personally, I do not like the color very much. It looks like a Smurf. I have seen a few on the road and, depending on the lighting conditions (sunny or cloudy) the same car can look very different.

I ordered my in Carbon Black (which is also the same color as our M5). I just think it is a classy color, and I don’t want to stand out too much on the road.

As for your transmission decision… You should probably go a drive the SMG to see if you like it. North Scottsdale did not have any for me to test drive when I went in December, but Chapman did. I didn’t push the car too hard, because I really wasn’t trying to test the performance. I just wanted to know how the tranny felt.

I like SMG a lot, it was the first option that I picked for my M3. However, it may not be for everyone. I want it because I am probably going to track the car 4 or 5 times a year out a PIR. The SMG is going to be great on the track and finally eliminate the need for heel-n-toe.

Some people may not like it if they are into the “street racing” scene. You cannot really dump the clutch and smoke the tires. There is a launch control that people talk about, but I am not too familiar with it, besides, I doubt I will ever use it since I am not in to stop light racing.

One other thing, SMG comes with rear Park Distance Control. There is no option to have that removed. So, if you don’t want the sensors on your back bumper you cannot have SMG.

I just got my March 21st production number and I should have the car at the end of April – early May. My situation has been a little strange because I am working a trade with the Cadillac dealership. You see, back in December I won a 2003 Cadillac Escalade. Seeing that I have absolutely no desire to ever own an Escalade, I am trading that thing before I even take it off the lot.

Anyway, I configured my M3 as follow:

Carbon Black Exterior
    Black Leather
    SMG (with PDC)
    Premium Package
    Adjustable Seat Width/Lumbar Support
    Bi-xenon lights
    HK Sound

Who is your sales person?
    GNALUZU

'03 M3 w/ SMG
    -SuperSprint Race Exhaust -K&N 63 Intake
    -Ground Control Street/Race Adjustable Camber Plates
    -RRT Brake Cooling Kit -PowerSlot Slotted Rotors
    -Cobalt Friction Spec VR race pads (track use only)
    -18x9.5 Comp SSRs wrapped in Dunlop Super Sport R Compound (track use only)

My Cars
    2011 335
    LSB is a horrible color, imo. Reminds me of little smurfs running around the neighborhood. But I think they changed it a little since m3 introduction...they made it a bit darker.

I would get the Carbon Black. That color has some metallic chips mixed in the paint and in certain light, it looks like a dark blue/purple. I think it looks great.
    ---------------
    "The beating will continue until morale improves."

My Cars
    10 second go-ped.
    I like LSB, but I like Carbon also. Keep in mind, Carbon is going to get dirty quick here in az.

My Cars
    Bus Pass
    Chris, you already know my opinion

My Cars
    Cool ones
    i have not heard good things about the smg II.. Leaky check balls.. go with 6-speed..

My Cars
    81 320i
    ohhhh, ur ziggo84! i didn't know who was IM'ing me the last couple times. lol, i thot it was someone from one of the e30 boards.

hahaha, i guess i'm the only one who likes the smurf color better. IMO, the color also sets the car apart from non-M e46's. plus u already have a nice black bmw.

My Cars
    1982 320is
    LSB and 6 speed

My Cars
    99 e430
    Not to be rude but, why do you (AzN_M5) always post stuff in Regional Discussions?
    My input on your color is jet black if you want a black, I'm not a huge fan of carbon because it always looks to purple to me, and lsb is way to smurf. Look at topaz or steel grey, just what I like. As for smg, everyone I know who has it loves it, as far as problems go it looks to be fine, have not heard of many.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    I always post things like this in the regional forums because people who respond to these posts are usually people I know. So later I can talk to them in person about my post. Plus, a lot of the people whose opinions I want only check the regional boards.

Best Regards,

Chris

My Cars
    M
    Either way you slice it both color options are great. At the end, It all comes down to your taste and a color you can live with. Personally, I would go with the BMW Individual program and get an Estoril Blue 6-speed M3.

My Cars
    Bus Pass
    Estoril Blue E46 M3

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Laguna Seca Blue and the 6 speed.

When I took my auto collision repair class in high school I painted my practice fender LSB and I have had a sick obsession with it ever since.
    James

My Cars
    Cool ones
    Originally posted by AzN_M5
    Plus, a lot of the people whose opinions I want only check the regional boards.
    aww Chris, you want my opinion.. :

j/k...

My Cars
    2002 M3
    Originally posted by 84_318i
    aww Chris, you want my opinion.. :
    Ummm Yeah.....I do, so where is your opinion?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    I would have to go with the Carbon Black and 6Speed. I mean c'mon, you just can't go wrong with that combo!