Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: What Cold Air Intake are available for the S54 M Roadster/Coupe?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    661
    My Cars
    02 M Coupe

    What Cold Air Intake are available for the S54 M Roadster/Coupe?

    I know that there are several CAI Intakes for the S52, but I heard that they do not fit the S54 engines, is this true?

    If so, who is making the Intakes for the S54?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    newport cali
    Posts
    795
    My Cars
    2002 bmw m coupe
    i think conforti makes one....but evosport is developing one in the near future, thats what im waiting for.
    Chris.
    2002 m coupe, sold to bf.com member markL. enjoy the car.

    The beatings will continue untill morale improves.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    661
    My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Well, that is good to hear.

    My buddy has a mandrel bender and a few CNC machines.

    How many of you guys would be interested if we came out with our own CAI for the S54?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    42,383
    My Cars
    05
    I think Hugo made a CAI for his car, tap his expertise as Captain DIY!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Ian's House
    Posts
    1,300
    My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    RMS......has one for the S54.
    tell them i sent you or you can go through me if you want for a great price.

    i'll beat any price that they give you.
    Maddog


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    42,383
    My Cars
    05
    There you do, Brandt is the man!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    931
    My Cars
    01' S54 M Roadster, Uber
    Originally posted by MC28REPSOL
    RMS......has one for the S54.
    tell them i sent you or you can go through me if you want for a great price.

    i'll beat any price that they give you.
    How much for a intake system for the S54 M roadster?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sunnyvale, C A
    Posts
    274
    My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Any details on what this intake is like? Design? Pictures? Specs? Pricing?
    '01 M Shoe
    368 Syndicate

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,419
    My Cars
    2001 M5 2001 MZ3 2010 M5
    Actually in my opinion the stock airbox IS NOT the problem with the intake. The problem with the intake is the 90 degree bend after the maf to air distributor. My next project is to 1) MAKE the CSL intake fit when it comes out 2) see what can be done about the velocity stacks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    112
    My Cars
    2002 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MC28REPSOL View Post
    RMS......has one for the S54.
    tell them i sent you or you can go through me if you want for a great price.

    i'll beat any price that they give you.

    ... is RMS race marque systems? I can't find them advertising a CAI for the S54 M Coupe.

    Quote Originally Posted by eurorides View Post
    i think conforti makes one....but evosport is developing one in the near future, thats what im waiting for.
    Conforti doesn't make one for the S54 M Coupe. They do for the S52, and the do for the E46 M3 S54.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Temecula Ca.
    Posts
    4,480
    My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    You are already getting cold air. Look at the path. Two intakes. One in the left brake duct the other around the left headlight.

    The factory plenum is already very well designed. The aftermarket is having difficulty finding any real gain.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    112
    My Cars
    2002 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    You are already getting cold air. Look at the path. Two intakes. One in the left brake duct the other around the left headlight.

    The factory plenum is already very well designed. The aftermarket is having difficulty finding any real gain.
    I'm not trying for cold air, to be honest. I want a louder intake.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    465
    My Cars
    02 M Coupe, 95 M3, 20 X2
    I have the Dinan intake for my S54 coupe. It includes a larger diameter MAF housing and is all carbon fiber. Pretty nice looking piece but very little gain.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Temecula Ca.
    Posts
    4,480
    My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma X View Post
    I'm not trying for cold air, to be honest. I want a louder intake.
    Just replace the filter box with a cone. You’ll probably drop a 1/2 dozen horses but the sound will probably be pretty cool.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    112
    My Cars
    2002 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Just replace the filter box with a cone. You’ll probably drop a 1/2 dozen horses but the sound will probably be pretty cool.
    No thanks, I'm looking for a well engineered, free-flowing intake for the S54 that doesn't make the car sound like a 525i. Not a "LAWL ricerboi cut springs fartcan muffler I GOT NAWS" intake.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Temecula Ca.
    Posts
    4,480
    My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma X View Post
    No thanks, I'm looking for a well engineered, free-flowing intake for the S54 that doesn't make the car sound like a 525i. Not a "LAWL ricerboi cut springs fartcan muffler I GOT NAWS" intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma X View Post
    I'm not trying for cold air, to be honest. I want a louder intake.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    112
    My Cars
    2002 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    The two things are not mutually exclusive. I don't expect to make a 10+ HP gain on a S54 engine with a CAI. I do, however expect at the very least to not lose any horses or low-end torque, while still achieving a better sound; doing so will increase my enjoyment of the car.

    First thing I did on the car was to put over five thousand in suspension work into it, including delrin bushings all over, coil-overs, adjustable ARBs, caster/camber plates, etc. I do actually have SOME class, thanks.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,285
    My Cars
    E36/7, E46
    Talk to Mcruiser - I think he has or had the Roar intake on his S54:




    I see you've done some mods, but I'd look at exhaust options if you have not already done so to tweak things in the sound department as well.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    112
    My Cars
    2002 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by rtav View Post
    Talk to Mcruiser - I think he has or had the Roar intake on his S54:

    I see you've done some mods, but I'd look at exhaust options if you have not already done so to tweak things in the sound department as well.
    Thanks for the info! Looks like I'd need to build my own heat shield with that setup; a pain but not a definite killer. As for exhausts, I was listening to sound clips and I like the supersprint, not too raspy, not too quiet. But for the $2800 I can get a set of Schrick cams and software to match... or a used TEC3 6/12.

    Decisions, decisions...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,285
    My Cars
    E36/7, E46
    I believe the intake is pretty much plug-n-play, but I'm talking out of my ass:

    http://www.roarfilter.com/
    Last edited by rtav; 10-05-2007 at 09:48 PM.


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Temecula Ca.
    Posts
    4,480
    My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma X View Post
    The two things are not mutually exclusive. I don't expect to make a 10+ HP gain on a S54 engine with a CAI. I do, however expect at the very least to not lose any horses or low-end torque, while still achieving a better sound; doing so will increase my enjoyment of the car.

    First thing I did on the car was to put over five thousand in suspension work into it, including delrin bushings all over, coil-overs, adjustable ARBs, caster/camber plates, etc. I do actually have SOME class, thanks.
    Slow down sport, I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I may have failed to project the humor/sarcasm in my post.

    5 grand? If you are willing to spend that sort of coin on suspension, then look into the carbon fiber euro M3 CSL plenum. You will need to customize it some. Increase the MAF size. Add the supersprint header, and delete the cats. Find some better cams and software. Screw the sound, your speed will be more than enough to impress.

    5 Grand? I hope it's Moton.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    112
    My Cars
    2002 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Slow down sport, I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I may have failed to project the humor/sarcasm in my post.

    5 grand? If you are willing to spend that sort of coin on suspension, then look into the carbon fiber euro M3 CSL plenum. You will need to customize it some. Increase the MAF size. Add the supersprint header, and delete the cats. Find some better cams and software. Screw the sound, your speed will be more than enough to impress.

    5 Grand? I hope it's Moton.
    I actually have been looking into the CF CSL plenum, however for the TMS knockoff the cost is $2700, for the real deal it's more - and then you have to convert to an alpha-n fueling computer, which means another two grand. It also robs low-end torque, I think that I will end up going with a turbo kit anyways. I'm aiming for over 400 WHP within 2 years.

    As far as the Moton 2-way, for the M it is over seven large, most of the hard components on mine are H&R with various manufacturers making an appearance for other parts.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •