Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do u reset brake pad sensor light?

My Cars
    2000 323i

How do u reset brake pad sensor light?

For 2000 323i, Peake Research does NOT have a reset tool.
    I tried one previous suggestion: After new sensor change,, Ignition key in POSITION 1 for 1 minute till light fades. IT didnt work, plus the fact in my production model the warning light isnt illuminated in position 1.

Theres a web site "marshost" where I found a do it yourslef with alligator clip 470 OHM resistor, grounding pin. DID anyone try this?
    ANY other suggestions?

My Cars
    00' 328i/540iT, 11' 335D

Think it's position 2

Think it's position 2 (run postion, the one just before start) for 1 minute. I know it can be done, I've done it on my 2000 328i. No shorthing anything or a resistor is needed. If it does not clear up; make sure the new sensor is connected properly. Also make sure the other axle is not tripped.

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    I have a 2001 325i kinda different than yours. All i had to do was put in the new sensor after i in stalled the new pads and it self reset. there was 1 on the drivers side front/ and 1 on the passager side back.

I would try disconnecting the battery cable for 15 min if you replaced both wires.

My Cars
    BMW 330D
    Put the key in position 2 for about 30 seconds and it will turn off, depending on if you swapped your sensor with a new one of course......

My Cars
    new sensor, obviously, then turn key on for like 45 seconds. if does not reset, maybe your other brakes are worn too.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    There is no "reset" for the brake pad warning. If the control module senses continuity through the pad sensor (wire not worn through) then the light doesn't come on, if it senses open circuit (wire worn through by brake rotor) then the light comes on. As soon as the sensor is replaced, the light goes off. Make sure the brakes on the other end aren't worn through the sensor. If the light still stays on, you can test the sensors with a piece of wire and connect the two pins in the plug that connects to the sensor (completing the circuit). If the light goes out, then you have a bad sensor. Not common, but have seen it once or twice. Make sure the connector is clean and fully seated too.

My Cars
    BMW 330D
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    There is no "reset" for the brake pad warning. If the control module senses continuity through the pad sensor (wire not worn through) then the light doesn't come on, if it senses open circuit (wire worn through by brake rotor) then the light comes on. As soon as the sensor is replaced, the light goes off. Make sure the brakes on the other end aren't worn through the sensor. If the light still stays on, you can test the sensors with a piece of wire and connect the two pins in the plug that connects to the sensor (completing the circuit). If the light goes out, then you have a bad sensor. Not common, but have seen it once or twice. Make sure the connector is clean and fully seated too.
    When replacing the sensor after the dash light has been on, it does not automatically go off. You need to keep the key in position 2 for about 30 secs, will turn off then.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostro View Post
    When replacing the sensor after the dash light has been on, it does not automatically go off. You need to keep the key in position 2 for about 30 secs, will turn off then.
    Right, which requires you to do what? Drive the car. After it's started, the key will be in position 2. Voila! Light goes away by itself. Just like it would after you start it and it does its self-check if you hadn't done the brakes.

My Cars
    BMW 330D
    Actually it doesn't. Replaced brakes on my car including sensor and the light did not go off while driving. So... aftre driving around with the light on for 2 days i checked the forum and saw the 45 seconds thing, that worked.

My Cars
    BMW 330D
    And... it took about 30 secs....

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If that's the case, I stand corrected. But I know I didn't do any such 'procedure' when I did the brakes on my '01 - at least not on purpose - and the light went off right away. And I wasn't listening to the radio in the car or anything after replacing the sensor. I must have inadvertently had the key on, though.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i, 2012 Merc

Question

I just changed the front brakes on my 2000 323i .
    I bought the pads and the brake wear sensor from the dealer and took it to a mechanic to change it. He said that if he could remove without damaging the used brake wear sensor then no need to install the new one.
    And so he did salvage the sensor. He said that after 150 km the indicator light on the dashboard should go way. I drove already 1000 miles and the light is still ON.
    Now mechanic says that I should take it to the dealer (since he does not have the proper connectors to the OBC) in order to reset the brake warning light.

I read at http://www.bimmerdiy.com/e46 how to replace the front brake pads, and it tells that the brake wear sensor can be reinstalled/reused.
    After reading here on forum I am not sure what is the right solution.
    Sounds like I have to get that used sensor replaced with the new one.
    Please advise :
    1) can the dealer indeed reset the brake warning light signal without me changing the sensor?
    2) Is there is a possibility to replace the sensor without taking apart the whole caliper assembly?
    Thanks

My Cars
    00' 328i/540iT, 11' 335D

You need to replace the sensor!

The sensor cannot be reused once the indicator lamp goes on. It is destroyed by design to turn on the worn brake indicator. If you changed the brakes BEFORE the sensor tripped, then it can be reused.

It is nothing more than a thin wire encapsulated in some plastic. When the brake pad backing plate gets close to the rotor the plastic and embedded wire are worn away. Once it becomes an open circuit, the light goes on.

You should be able to change the sensor without removing the pads through the window in the side of the caliper. Once it has been replaced put the ignition key in the run position (without starting the car) for 30 seconds to reset the light.

My Cars
    2003 325i ZSP-1996 Miata
    OK, 2003 325i here.

I did the front pads, rotors, and sensor. AFAIK I did it all correctly - my second BMW brake job. The new sensor is seated in the pad and connected inside the little box. It didn't appear that the connector would connect the wrong way, so I assume that's correct.

Brake pad check light is still on. I did the "key on for 90 seconds" thing, but the brake pad light, the oil pressure light, and a couple other lights never went out, even after a few minutes.

We did my buddy's similar car last week. I didn't see him turn the key, but he said that the brake pad check light went out on his car.

What's my next step? Is it possible to get the connector together enough to fit in the box without actually connecting it properly?

Thanks...

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke W View Post
    OK, 2003 325i here.

I did the front pads, rotors, and sensor. AFAIK I did it all correctly - my second BMW brake job. The new sensor is seated in the pad and connected inside the little box. It didn't appear that the connector would connect the wrong way, so I assume that's correct.

Brake pad check light is still on. I did the "key on for 90 seconds" thing, but the brake pad light, the oil pressure light, and a couple other lights never went out, even after a few minutes.

We did my buddy's similar car last week. I didn't see him turn the key, but he said that the brake pad check light went out on his car.

What's my next step? Is it possible to get the connector together enough to fit in the box without actually connecting it properly?

Thanks...
    my guess is to remove and reinstall both front and rear sensors again.
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Have you checked the rears?
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2003 325i ZSP-1996 Miata
    I admit I have not, but at 39,000 miles, I'd be really surprised if the rears are gone too. The fronts were definitely down to the sensor.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Take off the right rear wheel and check the sensor. I've seen E46's go through front pads in leass than 20k miles, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see rears at 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2003 325i ZSP-1996 Miata
    OK, I'll give it a shot when I switch to the winter tires this weekend. Thanks for your help!

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
    The sensor cannot be reused once the indicator lamp goes on. It is destroyed by design to turn on the worn brake indicator. If you changed the brakes BEFORE the sensor tripped, then it can be reused.

It is nothing more than a thin wire encapsulated in some plastic. When the brake pad backing plate gets close to the rotor the plastic and embedded wire are worn away. Once it becomes an open circuit, the light goes on.

You should be able to change the sensor without removing the pads through the window in the side of the caliper. Once it has been replaced put the ignition key in the run position (without starting the car) for 30 seconds to reset the light.
    is this the case for a 1996 328i?

My Cars
    00' 328i/540iT, 11' 335D
    Not sure about a 1996 model but on the E46, you just turn the ignition on to the run position (without starting the car) for about 30 seconds and the light will reset. This of course is assuming you have replaced the tripped brake wear sensor.

My Cars
    '03 BMW 330xi
    I had all 4 pads & rotors done recently. The sensor light stayed on after the change for a few days and then disappeared automatically. I'm sure I never left the key in run position for 30 secs without starting, so I have no idea why the light went away on its own.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2.5 Roadster
    Above responses are correct. I just recently changed the sensor in my '01 Z3 and after about 20 seconds in the ignition (2nd) position, the light went off. BTW, thanks to everyone who posted replies from saving me a trip to the dealership.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325ci coupe
    I'm not sure how old this post is but it just saved me a headache as well. I have a 2005 325ci, brake pad light came on, I replaced it (the sensor and the brake pads), the light didn't go off, I was confused so I went to the forum and viola! The light is now off thanks to this post. So now there is further evidence that putting the ignition in position 2 for at least 30 seconds (after you've changed the sensor) will turn the light off.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    It's kinda funny. Years ago We always thought you had to use the GT1 to reset the light. That always worked and one day I just had the key on and got sidetracked before I cleared it with the computer. Well the light was out and I learned something that day. It does take 30 to 60 seconds for it to reset itself. Any longer and there is another issue. Be-careful when unplugging it from the harness or you can damage the harness. Its pretty much the same on an E36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast