Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Dinan supercharger

My Cars
    E36 M3

E36 M3 Dinan supercharger

I'm interested in what the supercharger replaces. I looked on the Dinan website, and searched on here, and I haven't found anything useful. So, I'd appreciate any input from those with the Dinan s/c kit (Vortech).

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    Brent..what are you asking? I am not sure what you want to know..
    2008 335I Space Grey,Black leather, Steptronic
    Vishnu Procede V3 (16-17 lb boost) ,AA FMIC,AA Discharge tube/BOV,AA Downpipes,AA Race Exhaust, AFE Elite intake,BSH catch can, OS Giken LSD, PSS10 suspension, H&R sway bars, Motorsport CF strut brace, Stoptech BBKS, Forgeline ZX3S 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rears w/P235 35 19 fronts and P275 30 19 rear Conti Extreme DW's,Motorsport alcantara digital steering wheel, P3 boost gauge..etc

2011 X3 X-Drive 35i, Mineral Silver, Oyster leather
    Hartge Power Pack tuner, H&R sport springs, Forgeline DE3S 19 x 9 Conti Extreme DW P245 45 19 all around, Supersprint Exhaust

AA Preferred Dealer

My Cars
    Evo MR
    what do you mean "replaces"?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    My question has to do with whether or not the s/c kit replaces anything, such as the stock airbox and so on. I've just heard different takes on what's replaced (if at all), and I just wanted to get the record straight once and for all.

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    Are you asking "what is removed from a stock engine compartment, when installing a Dinan supercharger...."?
    Vishnu Procede V3 (16-17 lb boost) ,AA FMIC,AA Discharge tube/BOV,AA Downpipes,AA Race Exhaust, AFE Elite intake,BSH catch can, OS Giken LSD, PSS10 suspension, H&R sway bars, Motorsport CF strut brace, Stoptech BBKS, Forgeline ZX3S 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rears w/P235 35 19 fronts and P275 30 19 rear Conti Extreme DW's,Motorsport alcantara digital steering wheel, P3 boost gauge..etc

Hartge Power Pack tuner, H&R sport springs, Forgeline DE3S 19 x 9 Conti Extreme DW P245 45 19 all around, Supersprint Exhaust

AA Preferred Dealer

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by marc1119 View Post
    Are you asking "what is removed from a stock engine compartment, when installing a Dinan supercharger...."?
    Yes I am.

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by brentbrent83 View Post
    Yes I am.

...stock A/C pulley
    ...injectors
    ...airbox
    ...hosing to airbox
    ...oil dipstick ( ..only OBD1)
    ...relocate cruise control
    ...some misc bolts
    ...misc crankcase hosing

let me think some more..I do not think I have it all, because I have a brain cramp right now....
    Last edited by marc1119; 04-17-2007 at 02:35 PM.

AA Preferred Dealer

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    ...stock A/C pulley
    ...injectors
    ...airbox
    ...hosing to airbox
    ...oil dipstick
    ...some misc bolts
    ...misc crankcase hosing

let me think some more..I do not think I have it all, because I have a brain cramp right now....
    and stock software is replaced by modified software.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    ...stock A/C pulley
    ...injectors
    ...airbox
    ...hosing to airbox
    ...oil dipstick
    ...some misc bolts
    ...misc crankcase hosing

Quote Originally Posted by 325icintn View Post
    and stock software is replaced by modified software.
    So, if I wanted to uninstall the supercharger, i'd have to get a stock a/c pulley, airbox (I have an intake), and ecu to make sure it runs FI-less?

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    So, if I wanted to uninstall the supercharger, i'd have to get a stock a/c pulley, airbox (I have an intake), and ecu to make sure it runs FI-less?

Yeah the ECU was a given.. Since the ECM needs to be sent out...
    I thought he meant, what was put in a box under the workbench...

What are you doing Brent..removing the blower?

and correction to my above post..OBD2 uses the dipstick that came in the car...

AA Preferred Dealer

My Cars
    E36 M3

yeah, thinking about it ... that's why i was asking about what would need to be replaced (ecu, a/c pulley, airbox) because somebody made me an offer on it

My Cars
    M3/4/6, X5 4.4
    yeah, thinking about it ... that's why i was asking about what would need to be replaced (ecu, a/c pulley, airbox) because somebody made me an offer on it

Brent, you are going the wrong way!

I have to ask. Are you unhappy with a supercharged car? Are you parting out before selling your car?

It is none of my business I know, but I am curious.

Best of luck either way.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DADx2 View Post
    Brent, you are going the wrong way!

I have to ask. Are you unhappy with a supercharged car? Are you parting out before selling your car?

It is none of my business I know, but I am curious.

Best of luck either way.
    Haha yeah so I hear. No, actually, I love driving it. But, as much driving as I am now (I've driven 7k +/- in almost 5 months), I don't really think I need to be messing w/ a FI car. I've put quite a bit of money into it in the short time I've owned it, and I'm not sure I want to put more money into it, outside of the usual maintenance. So, we'll see which way is the better option for me at this point.

And yes, I'm actually between parting it out and then selling it, or selling it outright.
    Last edited by brentbrent83; 04-17-2007 at 03:45 PM.

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3

I have just such a box of original M3 parts removed when the dealer installed the Dinan OBDII Supercharger. .In the box of removed parts is the original Dip Stick tube.. Further, heres what the directions say under the heading of 'REMOVE DIPSTICK TUBE... . Have a rag handy in one hand and withdraw dipstick tube with the other while catching the dripping oil......'.. Why is the original dipstick tube removed? Because its replaced with a Dinan part called, 'Oil Drain Dipstick Tube'.. Apparently, they include a replacement dispstick tube which Id imagine to be the identical tube as the original, with one big exception... It is Drilled to accept drain oil from the supercharger. The purpose of this 'Oil Drain Dipstick tube' can be seen in forward direction #204: 'The Oil Drain Hose that is connected to the bottom of the Supercharger needs to be routed over to the nipple on the Dipstick Tube...

Besides the radiator brackets, I cant think of anything else off hand which gets removed not covered in the list given..
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    OK..I learned something today..

RMS has you drill the vent hole in your OE stick 96-99..
    Dinan gives you another, exact part.... with a hole drilled in it already?
    Last edited by marc1119; 04-17-2007 at 05:32 PM.

AA Preferred Dealer

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3

And a second nipple attached? one for oil drain, and one for the Cyclone separator?
    Well, listen to this:

Under the heading of 'Remove Dipstick Tube', it says:

'62. Notice the hose that goes between the dipstick tube and the oil vapor separator under the intake manifold.. Disconnect this hose from the vapor separator.. This hose will not be reused...'

This makes it sound like there will be no connection. But Im pretty certain that mine had such a connection before we removed it as part of the cyclone separator replumb we did a couple yrs back.

In the section on installing the new dipstick tube, heres what it says:

'67. Remove original o-ring from hole in top of oil pan and wipe out bore.
    68. Install the Oil Drain Dipstick Tube using new O-ring with lube on O-ring.
    69. Reinstall the dipstick Tube mounting bolt.
    70. Reconnect the fuel line holder.
    71. Place dipstick into tube.

ok.. now, skipping ahead to instruction 79 under the heading, 'Install Plenum purge Valve:

79. Locate the Plenum Purge Valve and Hardware.. This valve will allow oil scavenged by the Oil Vapor Separator to drain back to the crankcase during non-boost operation.
    81. Install the Plenum Purge Valve between the nipple on the vapor separator and the lower nipple on the Oil Drain Dipstick Tube...'

So, there we have it...
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

My Cars
    E36 M3
    woah lot of info ... sounds like you guys are trying to keep me in the FI group ... haha i'm just messing ... don't get me wrong, i'd like to stay FI - just have other priorities right now

so to recap, if i want "out", i need to get: the stock a/c pulley, stock m3 chip (or performance chip - any suggestions?), stock airbox (would an e36 325 airbox work?), stock m3 dipstick tube (do i get this from the stealership?)

My Cars
    95 Dinan M3, 00 Denali, 01 Gixxer 1k, 04 Kawi 636
    I don't have time to read the whole post, but Ihave the early style Dinan (powerdyne) SC installed in my obd 1 95 M3 and this is a list of things that are installed/replaced. (suggested replacement)
    Stock injectors (replace with stock)
    Software (fins a stock one or aftermarket chip)
    additional crank pulley for SC (remove)
    Fan spacer to clear crank pulley (remove)
    stock air box is removed (replace with cold air intake is pretty cheap)
    supercharger brackets (remove)
    supercharger (remove)
    Various plumbing for supercharger and intake (remove)
    You will need to replace the tensioner bolt 8mm hex head bolt and the 6mm hex bolt on the lower end of the supercharge bracket once the bracket and spacers are removed.
    Let me know id you need anything, i have all the stock parts kicking around here to do a 95 OBD 1 car with EWS.

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    woah lot of info ... sounds like you guys are trying to keep me in the FI group ... haha i'm just messing ... don't get me wrong, i'd like to stay FI - just have other priorities right now

so to recap, if i want "out", i need to get: the stock a/c pulley, stock m3 chip (or performance chip - any suggestions?), stock airbox (would an e36 325 airbox work?), stock m3 dipstick tube (do i get this from the stealership?)
    Wed love to keep you in the group.. But seriously, we just love to share info on this forum. thats why its probably one of the best FI forums on all the net!! Youve got a bunch of huge FI fans here who love their cars, and love the technology, and love sharing info. Plus, we have supporting vendors who participate who can correct us when we go off the deep end.. In all, it creates an excellent mixture..

As for your case in particular, maybe I ought to just sell you all my removed stock components which are all in a box from when my car was converted from stock to the Dinan Vortech kit a few years back. Ive been hanging on to them just in case I ever needed to revert back to stock.. But realistically I cant see that ever happening.. The Only thing that might have prompted me to do it is if I couldnt get a good price for mine from a dealer.. then I thought I might revert, and sell all the sc stuff.. But if that were to transpire, I think Id just sell the car privately where I know Id get a good price for it.. So, I dont know.. maybe i ought to sell my stuff.. What do you think ?

Incidentally, there are alot more parts than what you listed, that would need to be reinstalled if you want to go back to stock. somewhere between Marco's and Merlin's list is the complete inventory youd need to reinstall.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by paul e View Post
    Wed love to keep you in the group.. But seriously, we just love to share info on this forum. thats why its probably one of the best FI forums on all the net!! Youve got a bunch of huge FI fans here who love their cars, and love the technology, and love sharing info. Plus, we have supporting vendors who participate who can correct us when we go off the deep end.. In all, it creates an excellent mixture..

As for your case in particular, maybe I ought to just sell you all my removed stock components which are all in a box from when my car was converted from stock to the Dinan Vortech kit a few years back. Ive been hanging on to them just in case I ever needed to revert back to stock.. But realistically I cant see that ever happening.. The Only thing that might have prompted me to do it is if I couldnt get a good price for mine from a dealer.. then I thought I might revert, and sell all the sc stuff.. But if that were to transpire, I think Id just sell the car privately where I know Id get a good price for it.. So, I dont know.. maybe i ought to sell my stuff.. What do you think ?

Incidentally, there are alot more parts than what you listed, that would need to be reinstalled if you want to go back to stock. somewhere between Marco's and Merlin's list is the complete inventory youd need to reinstall.
    Ah yeah, I understand all that. That's why I like this forum somewhat better than the other ones on BF.c (putting on flamesuit). I've learned a LOT about FI, and BMWs in general.

About selling your stuff, I may be interested in what you have to offer. Please PM me with more info, and maybe we can set something up. By the way, is it correct to assume that I would be looking at a 8-hour day job of converting back to stock?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by IMRMerlin View Post
    I don't have time to read the whole post, but Ihave the early style Dinan (powerdyne) SC installed in my obd 1 95 M3 and this is a list of things that are installed/replaced. (suggested replacement)
    Stock injectors (replace with stock)
    Software (fins a stock one or aftermarket chip)
    additional crank pulley for SC (remove)
    Fan spacer to clear crank pulley (remove)
    stock air box is removed (replace with cold air intake is pretty cheap)
    supercharger brackets (remove)
    supercharger (remove)
    Various plumbing for supercharger and intake (remove)
    You will need to replace the tensioner bolt 8mm hex head bolt and the 6mm hex bolt on the lower end of the supercharge bracket once the bracket and spacers are removed.
    Let me know id you need anything, i have all the stock parts kicking around here to do a 95 OBD 1 car with EWS.
    Appreciate it. This helps a lot. This entire thread helps a lot. Dag, do I REALLY want to leave?? Haha. Maybe you guys'll see me back in the future.

My Cars
    95 Dinan M3, 00 Denali, 01 Gixxer 1k, 04 Kawi 636
    Appreciate it. This helps a lot. This entire thread helps a lot. Dag, do I REALLY want to leave?? Haha. Maybe you guys'll see me back in the future.
    Hope to see you back.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by IMRMerlin View Post
    Hope to see you back.
    There may be hope for me yet ... ... Paul, you're doing a good job trying to convince me to stay in the FI ranks ...

My Cars
    M3/4 SC;X5 4.4;

Hey Marco, do you know what the vent hole is for?
    Dinans dip stick tube has 2 nipples. One for the SC oil discharge and the other is for the cyclone separator oil return line.

I do not see any type of venting....I think this would produce an air leak, as the cylcone separator connects the crank case and oil pan to the manifold under vacuum, in Dinan installs.....
    97 M3/4
    ...420rwhp...Dinan SC
    Tuned by AA, M50 Manifold, RMS Aftercooler
    3.5 Porsche HFM, 42# injectors, Supersprint Exhaust
    AA Turbo Clutch, AA LTW Flywheel, TCK Suspension
    AA Strut bars (F&R), XBrace, BMP Rear Camber Correcting Arm
    BBS RK wheels on Pilot PS2, CF Hood

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry_miranda View Post
    Hey Marco, do you know what the vent hole is for?
    Dinans dip stick tube has 2 nipples. One for the SC oil discharge and the other is for the cyclone separator oil return line.

I do not see any type of venting....I think this would produce an air leak, as the cylcone separator connects the crank case and oil pan to the manifold under vacuum, in Dinan installs.....

Gerry the hole goes into the bottom part of the tube, where the tube sits into the oil pan.....inside the pan...

AA Preferred Dealer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast