Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Non Factory Tires for BMW 530ix 2006

My Cars
    2006 530ix

Question Non Factory Tires for BMW 530ix 2006

In a year and a half, my BMW has had two sidewall blowouts and one repairable flat. It came equipped with Continental 225/50 R17 94V M+S tires. If I am going to keep this car after the lease, I will need to replace these tires with something more rugged. I live is a rural area of Connecticut and have a long gravel driveway. The first blowout was due to hitting a curb after I tried to get out of the way of an oncoming ambulance. The second one was a result of hitting a newly dislodged rock after dark on my gravel driveway. I have owned or leased many cars in my lifetime and have never had a blowout for any reason. Flats, yes,but never a blowout!
    I love this car,but it may be the wrong choice for my environment. Two dealers tell me there is not much I can do, because of the short sidewalls on these tires. I would prefer not to get run flat tires because of the expense. I was told that run flat tires have thicker sidewalls, but they are noisy. Are Bridgewater Potenzas, without the run flat option, a possible solution ???

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    First off no tire is going to be less likely to blow out when you hit a cub with a car. Same deal with the rock or a pot hole. The advantage of the run flat is you can actually drive on the tire at that point and not have to get out and take care of it in a bad location. If you have the sport package you could go down to 17" wheels and tires and the tires will be less expensive and they will be less likely to get damaged.
    If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

My Cars
    2006 530ix

2006 BMW 530ix with 17" tires

[ If you have the sport package you could go down to 17" wheels and tires and the tires will be less expensive and they will be less likely to get damaged.
    If I can help let me know.[/quote]

I don't believe I have the sport package because it came with 17" tires. The tires I do have are Continental 225/50 R17 94V M+S tubeless Do you have a recommendation for other 17" tires that are not run flat?

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    If you already have the 17" there are the best size and you can not go to a 16" on the car. I like the Bridgsestone Turanza Serenity for the best ride quality. They are priced at 143.00 each and come with a 45K mileage warranty and AA traction.
    If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack