Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 4x6 rear deck speaker installation questions

My Cars
    2013 335is

4x6 rear deck speaker installation questions

I have a 1994 325i and the speakers in the rear deck have been blown out. i was thinking of installing some alpine 4x6's in the rear deck. Since there is a 4x4 and a small tweeter back there now and they both have separate wiring, i dont know how to wire in a 4x6 with 4 wires. If anyone could help i would really appreciate it. Also are alpine a waste of money? I mean is there a speaker that is just as good but cheaper? Would a 6x4 be better to install than just replacing the original 4x4 with an alpine 4x4. I checked their website and the 4x4 and 4x6 have basically the same specs.

My Cars
    1993 325is, ELEMENT Skateboard!!
    I also own a 94 325i. I have 6x9 in mine and they sound pretty damn good. I only used the two wires on each side like if it was a honda civic or so.

My Cars
    97 e36 328is
    wow, i was about to ask a very similar question.

i recently got the whole 6 x 9 brackets with pioneer speakers. what should i do when it comes to wiring them? Splice together the 4 wires into 2? then just connect? And if so which wires, stripes to stripes, etc?

Thanks

My Cars
    2013 335is
    splicing makes sense but i dont really know what to do...

My Cars
    1993 325is, ELEMENT Skateboard!!
    Okay..First thing to do is to find the wires that runs the rear speakers, There should be 4 on each side, I found mine when i popped out the rear speaker covers, And they were wires that are taped up, It should be blue and ect.. Hold on, I'll be back, have to go look at it.

My Cars
    2013 335is
    Ok thanks. Please lemee know

My Cars
    86 325
    When wiring your new 6x9's into the rear of the vehicle, you are going to use only the wires going to the 4" speaker, NOT the tweeter wires. Simply twisting both sets of wires together could very well damage your factory amp.
    Ken Oswald | BSW
    Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW

e-mail: kco@bavsound.com
    phone: 404.963.8857ext. 106
    web: www.bavsound.com

My Cars
    2013 335is
    O ok. Thanks for telling me. I prolly would have done that...

My Cars
    97 e36 328is
    yea, i did just the lows and it worked out fine... but im starting to realize i need an amp... god i dont want to do the wiring through my car, i hate that.

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by generic View Post
    yea, i did just the lows and it worked out fine... but im starting to realize i need an amp... god i dont want to do the wiring through my car, i hate that.
    In your case you could get a small two channel amplifier and run it straight to your 6x9s. That would work out perfectly fine.

If you went with a 4 channel amplifier you can use all the factory wiring in the trunk. No need for a complete rewire

My Cars
    97 e36 328is
    So please explain more about the 4 channel amp and 2 channel amp... what exactly would i be doing, how would it be wired/installed? pretend i know nothing of car audio... cough

My Cars
    2013 335is
    Re wiring the whole car would be horrible

My Cars
    86 325
    Quote Originally Posted by generic View Post
    So please explain more about the 4 channel amp and 2 channel amp... what exactly would i be doing, how would it be wired/installed? pretend i know nothing of car audio... cough
    When installing a 4 channel amp, you would be making all of your connections at the plug of the factory amplifier. At that plug, you have 4 channels of input wires from the factory head unit - LR, RR, LF, RF. Also, you have 10 channels of output from the factory amplifier - all 10 factory speakers.

Now, depending on your amplifier, you may need a LOC - line output converter. If your amplifier can accept a balanced input, then you will not need an LOC. You will connect your input wires to either the LOC, or your new amplifier. Your new amplifier has 4 channels - LF, RF, LR, and RR. Those will be connected to the factory amplifiers output wires, to their corresponding speakers. LF tweeter and midbass wires will connect to the LF channel, and so on.
    Ken Oswald | BSW
    Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW

e-mail: kco@bavsound.com
    phone: 404.963.8857ext. 106
    web: www.bavsound.com