Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Is it ok to have different front tires from the rear?

My Cars
    E36 ///M3

Is it ok to have different front tires from the rear?

My front tires have some uneven wear on them caused by the previous owner of the wheels and the tire model has been discontinued. It is Kumho Ecsta Supra and I looked on tire rack and they don't sell them anymore. Does that mean that I have to get a new set (front and rear) or can I just get a set of new tires without hindering performance?

My Cars
    2009 335i manual coupe
    You will never hear a tire shop recommend mismatching tires. With all the combinations of handling characteristics, just no way to know what you would end up with, and how you might like it. All you can do it try it. If the combination doesn't suit you, then buy two more to match the new ones. With an M3, you should be especially cautious of using fronts that offer any less traction than the rears, as it would exacerbate the generous natural understeer characteristic already present. All things considered, probably best to listen to the tire shop.

My Cars
    1998 BG M3/4/A
    I have the fronts (General Exclaim UHP) different from the rears (Kumho Ecsta MX). Decided to do it because I wanted to try the General's. And so far, I haven't come across any negative aspects - of co, I'm not tracking nor pushing my car a lot.