Thread: weird noise on cold start

weird noise on cold start

Hey,

Just wandering if any of you guys with e46 BMW's have had a weird noise when you start the car in cold weather (usually around or below -10 deg celsius).
    The noise comes from the center console inside the car and sounds like a fan/belt rubbing against something. It lasts for about 30 seconds or so and then stops. It is pretty consistent.

I went to BMW and they could not simulate the noise cause the car had already been warmed up. The bmw service guy said that it probably is the secondary air pump? But my question is wouldn't bmw fix a noise like this. Maybe its just my car?

Anyways if anyone knows about this would appreciate some input.

Thanks,

My Cars
    07' 335i
    my car also makes a noise as if i was trying to start the car again when it was already on. by the time i get out of the car it's already stopped.
    07' 3351 space grey/red leather
    6 spd sport pkg 155mph
    forgeline 18.5 zx3r gunmetal/polish lip
    v1, grey poplar wood premium package
    advan neova tires
    one of thee 1st in nothern/central nj on th road
    came home 9/22/06

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    It's probably a combination of cold start procedures the car goes through to minimize emissions on cold start up.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Its normal guys, i hear the same sound on my old E36.
    Proudly sponsored by ElusiveFX

Yeah, I don't get how BMW can igonre a noise and just say that, the noise is basic, it is quite loud althought doesnt last that long. There has got to be something they have done to prevent it if they know it occurs in all cars, consistently. I guess I will just have to live with it, unless someone knows exactly what it is and I point it out to the warranty guys.

Thanks,