Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help on A/C with LS1 E36 swap

My Cars
    1997 LS1 M3, 2004 330xi
    in for an update on where to find this also
    The hard part is that the pressure sensor needs a "special" port, which I have only found at Docs Blocks, it is their part number AC0146. http://docsblocks.com/search_results...earch&iLevel=1

Quote Originally Posted by GG Allin View Post
    Old link is dead. Anyone know where this fitting can be sourced?

- - - Updated - - -

Or better yet. How have the recent E36/LSx swaps been getting their A/C working?

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    The hard part is that the pressure sensor needs a "special" port, which I have only found at Docs Blocks, it is their part number AC0146. http://docsblocks.com/search_results...earch&iLevel=1
    Quote Originally Posted by cooler breeze View Post
    in for an update on where to find this also
    Anyone got a source for the AC0146 port?

Docs Blocks is no longer around and I can't find AC0146 on ColdHose.com.

Tipsy

EDIT: Maybe this is the same?
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 07-15-2017 at 10:54 AM.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Great! Thanks for the info!

I'm going to cross-post your reply to LS1Tech for the sake of those who don't visit this forum.

Tipsy

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Below is a picture of the stock LS1 F-Body compressor lines. You can see that in the F-Body, the lines are routed toward the front of the car.

For those who have functioning LSx/E36 A/C, did you have to come forward like this in the E36? I'm wondering if I should buy a used set of OE F-Body A/C lines to combine with the stock E36 lines?

Or will there be adequate space to use an adapter fitting like the one pictured below from Hawks Motor Sports with lines coming off the back of the compressor (not routed forward)?

Tipsy

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    I am hoping to get AC working later this summer. It's wonderful that Schitzo and Tipsy found updated sources for the required fittings.

This post is mostly just to give an updated link to the adapter for the LS1 compressor from Hawks Motorsports: https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/lsx...fitting-black/ There are others for other LSx applications, as well.

IMG_6917__05284.1524841639.1280.1280.JPG
    Last edited by motorV8ed; 04-20-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by motorV8ed View Post
    I am hoping to get AC working later this summer. It's wonderful that Schitzo and Tipsy found updated sources for the required fittings.

This post is mostly just to give an updated link to the adapter for the LS1 compressor from Hawks Motorsports: https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/lsx...fitting-black/ There are others for other LSx applications, as well.

IMG_6917__05284.1524841639.1280.1280.JPG
    I decided to use the Holley 20-160 SD7 kit.

The Sanden SD7 is considerably smaller than the GM compressor and the Holley bracket keeps it pretty tight to the block.

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Thanks for that info. I spent a lot of time yesterday (while on a trip) looking at that one and some of the other solutions out there. That one does look pretty sweet.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Also highly recommend a Sanden kit

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    I made a bracket that puts a "standard" OEM-style compressor (with direct mounts) into a block-hugging configuration. This is still in progress, and there turned out to be some unfortunate details with my choice of compressor that I am still working out. The gory details may be found here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post30259769

I am showing just a few pics here; please go to my linked build thread for all info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Despite what you see in the previous post, I am now thinking of using a commercial adapter bracket.

I saw on @Damon Forrer's build thread that he is using an ICT Billet adapter. I had not come across this one before. It appears to be designed to be a block-hugging design, but uses an A/C compressor from a BMW E46: https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-bmw-330...5-3l-6-0l.html

I am looking for an AC solution to my LS-swapped E36. Spacing wise, the ICT Billet bracket looks like it will work okay in the E36, but does anyone have any info? Anyone know of the compatibility between A/C hoses, etc., between E36 and E46? Basically, does anyone have any knowledge that a E46 A/C compressor would work in an earlier car?

This may be a great solution. The bracket is only $200, and I can get an E46 compressor at the pick and pull any day of the week.

My Cars
    1998 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Below is a picture of the stock LS1 F-Body compressor lines. You can see that in the F-Body, the lines are routed toward the front of the car.

For those who have functioning LSx/E36 A/C, did you have to come forward like this in the E36? I'm wondering if I should buy a used set of OE F-Body A/C lines to combine with the stock E36 lines?

Or will there be adequate space to use an adapter fitting like the one pictured below from Hawks Motor Sports with lines coming off the back of the compressor (not routed forward)?

Tipsy

To anyone who’s using the Hawks adapter, what did you use to seal it to the compressor? I’m using factory-type washer gaskets (grey and black) torqued to 24 lb ft and have tried two different compressors (one brand new) and am still losing vacuum. I’ve isolated everything else and it all holds vacuum except the compressor.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    no experience with hawks adapter, but the adapter (from google) looks like its flat on the sealing surfaces (no step in the sealing surface), stock Camaro LS1 is a stepped pad.. i'd say, remove the adapter from your compressor and look to see if the sealing surface of both o-ring surfaces are the same depth. one is probably deeper than the other, if so, I think they sell adapter o-ring kits to accommodate the difference..
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    E36 M3, Mk2 GTI
    So I'm doing this to an JZ swapped car instead but do you all know if I have to wire pressure switch to X20-5 or can I bypass it. I'm not sure if the intergrated climate regulator actually needs a signal back to it. I'd like to run X20-6 to the Pressure switch then to my MS3 pro

MODS
    1JZ, BC 264 cams, BC TI Springs and Retainers, Ferra Keepers, Arp Head Studs, Arp Main studs, Arp rod bolts, Custom Emerald Performance Dual Plenum intake, 70 mm TB, SC6169 T3 Turbo, full 3 inch SS exhaust, Ar5 Transmission, 60lb injectors, Walbro 400 fuel pump, GTR intercooler. Porsche Turbo Calipers, Gutted Tein SS coilovers with Koni Race shock inserts , Tein Pillowball Camber Plates, UUC Swaybarbarian bars....needs more mods and a tune!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123