Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    85 318i
    Lots of great info and tips in that write up Kenny thanks.
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by card counter View Post
    Excatly.. Im a pro at this one
    You're not alone brother
    Last edited by MrBlonde; 11-30-2007 at 02:07 AM.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    328i turbo
    As you know its all part of the game.Win some loose some
    996WHP 2.8 and going nowhere fast
    . e36 4Dr with A/C and leather seats in U.S.
    www.bmwturbo328.com 9.93@152.6

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Great stuff!!!!! You RAWK Mr. B!!!
    Z3 Registration Database
    Mods Done: ESS/RMS/Custom Vortech V2 S/C Kit, Aquamist 1S Kit, Spal 16" Fan, 18" BBS RG-R w/red center caps, Engine Fan Delete, ///M logo Chrome Oil Cap, Imola Red Roundels, Clear Front Marker Lights, ///M Badge below Rear Oddments Box, ///M Valve Stem Caps
    Mods Next: City Lights, Silver turn signal bulbs, Front CF Splitters, CF Sunroof, Sport Gills, Chrome Light Switch, Chrome Kidneys, Central Lock button, Paint Imola Red (Washer Nozzles, Rear Spoiler, Door Handles, Engine Cover)
    [/font]

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Thank you very much Kenny.

I will try to get out to the track more to use your write up.

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Excellent write up Kenny.
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    searching for a new one
    awesome info thanks!
    -Dan D
    95 M3 White/Black
    A few bolt ons...
    08 Honda Accord Silver/Black
    EX-L 4 cylinder (wife's car)
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White/Grey
    Daily Driver

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    Thanks, Kenny!
    -Dave

My Cars
    F60
    Question: For any car that sees track duty, wouldn't it make sense to have an electric water pump to reduce cavitation at WOT and also allow you to circulate water and cool the engine off better when it is between runs?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiheSechs View Post
    Question: For any car that sees track duty, wouldn't it make sense to have an electric water pump to reduce cavitation at WOT and also allow you to circulate water and cool the engine off better when it is between runs?
    Yes, this is a good idea, although I'm not convinced that cavitation occurs with better (Stewart) water pumps. The main issue with a belt driven cooling system is that it adjusts flow for RPM not engine load. Engine load contributes more to engine temps than RPM. An electric system can monitor coolant temps and adjust flow accordingly. It's a more efficient way to cool your engine, and not just from a parasitic loss perspective.

VAC Motorsports is working on a prototype system for my car. (M5430 engine) I've contacted a number of other vendors on this forum regarding this, and none of them were interested in doing this. It will be available in kit form once it's finished. Contact Chris at VAC Motorsports if you are interested, it will help speed the project along if more demand is there.

Another option along the same lines is to use an electric power steering pump or run a manual steering rack. The later is not recommended, the former has 3 options that range from under $1k to Big $$ deppending on the quality of the system. Bimmerworld can source all 3 types.

Sorry for the thread Hijack, but drag racing is why I'm pursuing these items myself.

Thanks to Kenny for taking the time to put all this info together, it's a great resource that I've used before, and will continue to reference in the future.
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 04-11-2007 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    E84 X1 35i ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    This is the place to document the largest (tallest and widest) rubber fitment for unmodified BMW street cars (for drag racing).

BMW E36 M3 unmodified bodywork

With 16" rim:

Hoosier QuickTime Pro DOT part number 17430 -> 26"x9.5"x16"
    + Tread width ? (Can fit on rims 6"-8")
    + 26.1" tall and 82" circumference (VERY tight fit in wheel well)
    + Section width 10.0"
    + Credit: Ulysses (Card Counter)

With 15" rim:

Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial part number 3752R -> 235/60 R15
    + Tread width 8.0" (Can fit on rims 7"-9")
    + 26.0" tall and 82" circumference (VERY tight fit in wheel well)
    + Sidewall width: 9.5"
    + Credit: Alan (morerevsm3)
    so what if you have rolled the fenders?
    2015 E84 X1 35i ///M +JB4
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    RIP --- 98 ///M3 Mods:- Eurosport TS - (EVO)Euro 6-speed

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MoeMuny View Post
    so what if you have rolled the fenders?
    Fender rolling is assumed.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on

My Cars
    E84 X1 35i ///M
    ok thanks the "BMW E36 M3 unmodified bodywork" made me think different
    2015 E84 X1 35i ///M +JB4
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    RIP --- 98 ///M3 Mods:- Eurosport TS - (EVO)Euro 6-speed

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MoeMuny View Post
    ok thanks the "BMW E36 M3 unmodified bodywork" made me think different
    Understood. If you ever watch a "fender rolling" you will see it is a very minor process that yields minor results. The growth of a slick ion the top end makes more of a difference than rolling your guards.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials in 275/40/17 fit too, you just need coil overs.

My Cars
    97 TT Stage2 M3, 01 Denali
    Oh man I just came across this, I'll have to print this out and try the technique the next time I'm at the 1/4 track. Thanks MrBlonde!!!
    -97 Cosmo Black M3/4 with Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo + some other goodies ( She's gone!!! )
    -01 Onyx Black Yukon Denali with 22" bling blings

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    Mr.Blonde,

Thanks for the Great Info!
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    01 330Ci 5 Speed
    I have an adjustable stiffness setting for my suspension, is there a preferable setting for a good launch?

Thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by EIAlfonso View Post
    I have an adjustable stiffness setting for my suspension, is there a preferable setting for a good launch?

Thanks
    Yes, the one that gets you neutral camber at hard launch.

My Cars
    FrankBuilt 95 TRM3

Thumbs up

great write ups kenny! you brain is filled with very helpful knowledge. BTW would you know anybody in your area that has any vanos electromagnetic valves/solenoid sets (exhaust side/passenger side) for the s50b32 that i can purchase? thanks.

My Cars
    2001 M3 TitSilver
    nice thread. i'm dying to use the info.

Prick-Behind-the-wheel Upgrade

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Just went to the strip yesterday for the first time since my car has been turbo'd. I'll definitely be bringing this writeup next time, thanks again Kenny.
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by e36'n View Post
    Just went to the strip yesterday for the first time since my car has been turbo'd. I'll definitely be bringing this writeup next time, thanks again Kenny.
    What was your trap?
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    What was your trap?
    14.71 @ 99.78mph. I figure it wasn't too bad considering I'm averaging about 4.6psi when full boost () kicks in and my clutch is slipping pretty badly. Poor RT (~.6) and 60' times (~2.6), but was a damn good time except for my car overheating and stressing me out. Turned out it was just to hot to not have an electrical fan; turned the heat on full after it cooled down and it was all good.
    -Curt

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Thanks for the kind words guys, happy to help anyone who wants to have fun drag racing their BMW FI street car.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast