Thread: What are the best camber plates for Street/Autox/Track?

My Cars
    2 Porkers and Erm

What are the best camber plates for Street/Autox/Track?

Are the KMac camber plates good for $270, or should i really consider the TCKline camber plates for $550? I know i can swap the hats, but I would rather have the ability to adjust the camber when the car is up on the alignment machine.

My Cars
    No car at the moment
    kmac is good for the street .. but for heavy track i guess people say tckline or gc

My Cars
    2 Porkers and Erm
    BTW I use stock suspension, so i can't use the GC (as nice as they look, I'm not ready to switch to coilovers). Is the Kmac good enough for some street (rough NYC streets), mostly autox(every weekend), and track events once a month?
    Last edited by Stee; 01-31-2003 at 01:32 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 2.3, Isetta 300
    I don't think you need coilovers to use the GC ones.... I know that is the case on the E46's, so i would think the E36's would be the same. I know you need CO's with the TCKline ones.

If you just need a little more camber, swap your hats! It's OK for light track and street duty. If you have lowered, you will have a lot of camber going.
    EX-NASA SpecE30 Racer---NASA Florida Certified Instructor

My Cars
    95 M3
    What aspect makes the tckline one's better than the KMAC's for the track? Is it the materials used in production, or maybe that TcKline one's can dial in more camber? The price difference is almost double!
    Sardil

'95 M3

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 04 Tribute, 94 Club Wagon
    Originally posted by jblack
    I don't think you need coilovers to use the GC ones.... I know that is the case on the E46's, so i would think the E36's would be the same. I know you need CO's with the TCKline ones.
    You got that backwards. The GC camber plates require coilovers. The TCKline plates work with coilovers or stock spring hats. I am running the TCKline plates with the stock spring hats. The TCKline plates are very nicely made, and I am happy with mine, although there are pricey. They have a solid metal bearing in the center, which is great for autox, and really isn't any worse on the street for me. Eventually though it will wear out and need to be replaced. The kmacs are a poly bushing IIRC. Also, the TCKline plates lower the car 1/4", and I think the kmacs may raise the car a little.

Chris
    09 135i: 6MT, M-Sport, iDrive, iPod/USB, Heated Seats, Premium Sound, BMW Assist

My Cars
    Z3 2.3, Isetta 300
    OK...I'm 100% positive I don't have that backward....and again, I'm talking about an E46 - maybe the things are turned around on the E36. I spoke to TC himself at Mid Ohio last fall at a DE event. He said the only solution for E46 M3's is to get his CO package and his camber plates, or (and he even said this), go with the GC setup for the camber plate, as they can work with CO springs or stock.

Also, directly from GC website:

"Ground Control Suspension Camber/Caster plates can give your BMW up to -3 ½° of camber. Caster is adjusted separately and independently. Camber/Caster plates are designed to be used with 60mm, 2½ or 2 ¼ inch I.D. coil-over springs."
    EX-NASA SpecE30 Racer---NASA Florida Certified Instructor

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 04 Tribute, 94 Club Wagon
    Originally posted by jblack
    OK...I'm 100% positive I don't have that backward....and again, I'm talking about an E46 - maybe the things are turned around on the E36. I spoke to TC himself at Mid Ohio last fall at a DE event. He said the only solution for E46 M3's is to get his CO package and his camber plates, or (and he even said this), go with the GC setup for the camber plate, as they can work with CO springs or stock.

Also, directly from GC website:

"Ground Control Suspension Camber/Caster plates can give your BMW up to -3 ½° of camber. Caster is adjusted separately and independently. Camber/Caster plates are designed to be used with 60mm, 2½ or 2 ¼ inch I.D. coil-over springs."
    Well, the original poster was asking about an E36.
    And my TCKline camber plates work fine with stock springs on my E36.
    And your quote from the GC web site is correct, they only work with small diameter coilover springs, not the large diameter (>5") stock style springs.

Chris
    09 135i: 6MT, M-Sport, iDrive, iPod/USB, Heated Seats, Premium Sound, BMW Assist