Thread: Track Pipe issues anyone?

My Cars
    95 M3

Track Pipe issues anyone?

Hey all

Time to start thinking bout my next mod already! (time starts when the previous mods gets mailed out)

I was looking into the AA track pipe for the OBDI cars. Their site claims a whopping 26 hp to the rear wheels..which is pretty sick. But my main sticking point is the f*cking police. I'ld def. swap the cats back in come inspection time, but what bout the sniffing radars and po-po spot checks. Anyone on these boards ever have run-ins with their track pipe? If so, stiff penalties? I guess I'm particularly interested in cars in MD and NJ and nearby areas. Thanks!
    Sardil

'95 M3

My Cars
    No car at the moment
    i have the track pipe on my 95 m3 .... and im in nj .. no problems wut so ever .. i did notice gains when i added it to my car with the cam kit ... not sure if im seeing 25 at the wheels .. that is when ur car is stock with just an aa exhaust and track pipe .. just get it .. for obd1 cars its great

My Cars
    328is/ 94 325 vert 5 speed

I think you should be ok....

Sardil,
    I live in Baltimore and even so I don't have a track pipe I do get pulled over a lot and pulled over while driving in my friend's modded mustangs. I've never had an officer do a spot mod check on any cars I know of. My friends with the mustangs have stripped their exhausts down to nearly nothing, short of open headers. I would feel totally comfortable running a track pipe in this area. BTW how would an officer know you don't have cats? Yo can't even fit your head under an E36 M3. Good Luck.

Alex
    96 328is: eurospeed M50 intake manifold with AA M50 Manifold software
    rogue eng. pullies
    ecis cai
    M3 exhaust
    M3 rear spoiler
    5 spoke ROH's 235/40/17front 245/40/17rear
    UUC clutch stop
    motorsport X Brace

94 325- 5 speed
    borla exhaust
    96+ side skirts
    zender front air dam
    97+ nose panel

My Cars
    04 E55, 04 Touareg, 97 M3, 00 996 cab, 86 944T
    The car will smell quite a bit. Mine has as much aroma as my old '78 Trans Am. Smells like.... VICTORY!!!

Eugene
    97 M3/2 5spd - Hellrot - for sale!
    Dinan Stage V/CAI/big TB/3.5"HFM/OBD I intake
    Dinan strutbrace/ X-brace
    Schrick cams
    euro 6spd/3.64 rear diff, 320i mounts
    AA gen III exhaust/track pipe/HIOP headers/02 simulators
    RS SSK, UUC clutchstop, clutchpedal bushings
    993TT front & 996 rear brakes, Hawk HPS/ SS lines/ ATE Super Blue
    Kinesis K20's 18x8.5,9.5, OZ Superleggera 18x9
    Eibach sways, H&R coilovers
    URI UD pulleys
    RedLine diff/tranny fluid
    PowerFlex RTAB, TCKline rear control arms, PowerFlex front control arm bushings
    98 M-Roadster boot, ECIS shield
    fan clutch delete, 80 C thermostat and fan switch
    Euro dual-pickup oil pan
    finned RE rear diff cover
    AC Schnitzer euro steering wheel

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Originally posted by eclou
    The car will smell quite a bit. Mine has as much aroma as my old '78 Trans Am. Smells like.... VICTORY!!!

Eugene
    You pulled your cat from your T/A?

I bought new a '76 455 TransAm and did the same. At the time, it had smell of a..... 'regular' car.

My M3 w/trackpipe is reminiscent, although it's been years (decades) and we only have unleaded premium which has a different aroma, although obvious!

Scott
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    Can you stand the smell of it through daily driving? How bad does it smell? Do you only smell it when you are idle at a traffic light or something? Can you smell it when driving?

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Originally posted by dave is cool
    Can you stand the smell of it through daily driving? How bad does it smell? Do you only smell it when you are idle at a traffic light or something? Can you smell it when driving?

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing too. I can't do it if smells as bad as when the cats go bad. (rotten egg smell)
    -Joe

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    it was a lesson to learn! i used to have a 95 honda accord...i purchased a cat and poked it out. the car ran much smoother...but

1) my green bumper had black crap all over it
    2) as a daily driver, i was suffering from headaches after headaches...it turned out that the fumes were sneaking through my trunk and slowly inside the cabin as i was driving.

so after 8 months of having it on...then had to replace it for smog check...it stayed on...no headaches after that.
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Can you stand the smell of it through daily driving?
    You won't notice it while driving. The only time I happen to smell anything different is is when I start up the car while in the garage and occasionally at stop lights if the wind is right.

How bad does it smell?
    If you're too young : to remember the exhaust smell of all cars manufactured before 1975, check the exhaust aroma of a gasoline fueled race car or a larger (not pickup) gas fueled truck which is 'converterless'.

The odor is not obnoxious, in my opinion.

The lack of a catalytic convertor is no more noxious or headache producing than a vehicle with a properly operating system. This assumes you don't have leaks and operate the car in a well ventilated area.

The only issues I would have are the legal and perhaps environmental.

Scott

My Cars
    see sig
    Originally posted by eclou

Eugene
    smells even sweeter with leaded race gas
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Eugene, is your car obnoxious enough to deter you from using it as a daily driver?

I used to own a 1973 Saab 99. I don't recall any weird smells, obnoxious odors or anything. At least, not enough to impact its utility.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    No car at the moment
    mine doesnt smell that much at all .. perfect for daily driving

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Originally posted by frayed
    Eugene, is your car obnoxious enough to deter you from using it as a daily driver?

I used to own a 1973 Saab 99. I don't recall any weird smells, obnoxious odors or anything. At least, not enough to impact its utility.
    If anything. cars w/convertors have an 'uglier' smell than those without. IMO.

The lack of convertor hasn't had a negative impact on daily driving, for which I use my M3.

Scott

My Cars
    04 E55, 04 Touareg, 97 M3, 00 996 cab, 86 944T
    Car is now too fast for daily driving......

Eugene
    97 M3/2 5spd - Hellrot - for sale!
    Dinan Stage V/CAI/big TB/3.5"HFM/OBD I intake
    Dinan strutbrace/ X-brace
    Schrick cams
    euro 6spd/3.64 rear diff, 320i mounts
    AA gen III exhaust/track pipe/HIOP headers/02 simulators
    RS SSK, UUC clutchstop, clutchpedal bushings
    993TT front & 996 rear brakes, Hawk HPS/ SS lines/ ATE Super Blue
    Kinesis K20's 18x8.5,9.5, OZ Superleggera 18x9
    Eibach sways, H&R coilovers
    URI UD pulleys
    RedLine diff/tranny fluid
    PowerFlex RTAB, TCKline rear control arms, PowerFlex front control arm bushings
    98 M-Roadster boot, ECIS shield
    fan clutch delete, 80 C thermostat and fan switch
    Euro dual-pickup oil pan
    finned RE rear diff cover
    AC Schnitzer euro steering wheel

My Cars
    95 M3
    Yeah, not a big fan of that old race car smell...but then again the power is tempting.

In any case, 600 is probably better spent on a DE rather than trying to get more power out of the car, and have to worry bout the po-po's in Jersey.
    Thanks all!

Actaully on another note...would a high flow cat make any difference, if there are any produced for our cars?
    Sardil

'95 M3

My Cars
    '
    sardil, you can just go to a muffler shop and ask them to make a straight pipe for your car, and it will be 1/3 the cost of the track pipe. You will see similar gains too. Only difference is that it will be pretty damn loud, but I like it when it is loud. If I decide to get a straight pipe, then I am going to take this route

My Cars
    95 M3
    Hmm...thats not a bad idea.

However, isn't it illegal for them to screw around wiht the cats? or is this something most most muffler shops will look beyond?
    Thanks.
    Sardil

'95 M3

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    They may make you a "test" pipe that you bolt on in place of your cats to determine if they are clogged (heh, heh)...
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Originally posted by sardil
    isn't it illegal for them to screw around wiht the cats? or is this something most most muffler shops will look beyond?
    As I remember, it's a violation ($25Kfine) for anyone to mess with the pollution control standards/systems set forth by the EPA/congress.

I got the impression years ago that auto shops that mess with the stuff also face losing their license. That aspect is a bit hazy.

Scott

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    we have a group purchase going on for the track pipe... save some money and buy it!!!! we only need 6 more....
    check it out in the GB section.

-JOn
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    '
    sardil, you would be screwing around with your cats if you got the AA Track Pipe too since you are completely eliminating your cats. Also, $25k fine?!?!! I HIGHLY doubt it. People get tickets for this stuff, and they dont get that high fines. I doubt it is over $1000 even

My Cars
    1998 M3/4
    Just got my track pipe installed (along with a new headgasket, clutch) and it is quite nice. The fitment is good however I'm getting some resonance at highway speeds when no throttle is applied. I'll have to play with the fit a little to try and get rid of that.

Regarding power gains, my butt dyno says that there is some torque/hp gains and the car feels overall stronger throughout the rev-range. I also replaced my VANOS at the same time so that may be part of it. Now that I think about it, I think my VANOS was broken for about 1.5 years since I bought the car.

I was able to pick up the track pipe for $499+shipping (pre-Christmas special) so for that price it was a very good mod.

Regarding the smell, the area immediatly surrounding the car absolutely stinks when I back it into a space. That's to be expected. May help you with tailgaiters...just step on the gas a little and they will notice your 'smell.'

Regarding on the road inspections by cops...the track pipe looks very much like a cat so I don't think any cop would tell unless he is very experienced with E36 cars, etc.

Overall, I'm glad I did the mod...I'll just have to put the cat back on to do smog when that comes around.

Good luck!
    Wes
    '95 M3
    Wes

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Originally posted by dave is cool
    Also, $25k fine?!?!! I HIGHLY doubt it. People get tickets for this stuff, and they dont get that high fines. I doubt it is over $1000 even
    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/7524.html

Scott