Thread: Brake Job Time for New Front Rotors DIY? 2003 530i Sport

My Cars
    New Ride - 03 Z71 / 03' 530i Sport - SOLD!

Question Brake Job Time for New Front Rotors DIY? 2003 530i Sport

I always reach out to this forum when I have a question and get great answers.

So here is todays ponderance..

E39 530i (2003) 55k mostly city miles. Brake sensor light is on.

Took it to my local shop which I used to trust and was quoted 800+ for rotors and pads.

Can I just replace the pads if the rotors are in decent shape?
    How do I determine if the rotors are within safe tollerances?

If I have to replace rotors & pads can I DIY it?
    If I have to replace just pads can I DIY it?
    (I am not a car guy but very mechanicly inclined and I DO read instructions )

Do I need to replace the sensor along with rotors and pads if I have to go down that road?

Looking forward to hearnig from those of you who have either DIY'd this or taken it to a shop.

If you have suggestions for a parts supplier and or have a parts list from a recent DIY, posting that here would be great also.

Thanks!!

My Cars
    2003 530I/S
    If the rotors were changed with the last pad change, then you can probably re-use them. (I have done that on my previous 528I) I do not have the tollerances handy but they are often stamped on the rotors. A small lip at the outer edge will not be a problem.

It is all DIY.
    The sensor will have to be replaced to turn off the light.
    Check BMWTIPS dot COM (how to install new pads) for instructions. It is very symple and can be done in about two hours.

One important issue is to open the bleeder valve when you push back the pistons into the calipers so you do not send any dirty fluid back to your ABS unit.

If the rotor is going to be reused, the sensor can be cut off and the wires shorted together. This will also turn off the light. When these pads go, you will have to change the rotors anyway. This can save a few bucks. You will hear the pads the next time they are low..... My right side pads started to scrape before the left side sensor came on in my '97 528I. It is not a purist view of maintenance however...
    Chet
    2003 530I sport
    Black / black
    The drive is the destination...

My Cars
    1999 540i/6, 2000 Expedition (Loud and Proud)
    530i and 540i share the same rotors and pads. I replaced rotors, pads and sensors on all four corners for about $400 in parts. It took about 2 hours (plan for 4 if you have never done it before). BMWtips.com has a good writeup on it as said earlier. The sensors are only $12 each from the dealer so you are not saving much by not replacing them. I am using ATE rotors and have had no problems with them. I also use Hawk HPS pads which are a little pricey but there are a million opinions on pads and a lot of threads on them as well. Just do a search and you will find a lot of good info. I got the rotors and sensors from Pelicanparts.com.
    99 540i/6 - 18" Breyton Visions, LED tail lights, Hella Euro Angel Eyes, ATE Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, K&N filter, CDV-delete, ZHP Weighted Shift. Making life in traffic a little easier...

My Cars
    '00 528i Sport
    You most likely don't "need" to replace the rotors, but I would suggest that you do. Many times just replacing the pads leads to noises and / or pulsation down the road. As long as you are in there doing the work it isn't worth not doing the rotors. Remember to replace the brake sensors, as well. They are not expensive. The work is not difficult. Do one side at a time. That way you always have a reference in the event you "loose your way". Bob

My Cars
    1998 540i - 6 speed spor
    You can DIY. I replaced mine with Zimmermann (OEM from Germany)crossdrilled from AutohausAZ.com and Pagid pads. The new sensors are cheap and simply plug and play. Front rotors cost $244 for the pair, Rears were $169 for the pair. Front pads $81, rear pads 41.79, front sensor $11.06, rear sebsor $9.94. so for about $557 I got upgraded rotors and pads that look and work GREAT!

My Cars
    2002 530i
    it's an easy job. replace pads, rotors and sensors. you'll be amazed how simple a brake set-up really is.

2 allen key bolts and 2 regular bolts per side..
    1986 325es - Sold
    1998 M3/4 - Sold
    1986 528e - Sold
    1998 528i - Sold
    2002 530i- Sold
    1991 Mercedes 300CE - Driving
    2003 911 C4S - Driving

My Cars
    540iT
    I actually just finished replacing the rear pads and sensor this evening. I know it's cliche, but if I can do it....... I simply followed the DIY as stated earlier. This was my first time on the wagon - it took all of two hours, but that included getting the tools/jacks/stands organized, a dinner break, and a quick trip to the autoparts store to buy a 7mm allen wrench. Also, if the neighbour's kid hadn't pestered me with 20 questions, I would've finished in about an hour.

My Cars
    New Ride - 03 Z71 / 03' 530i Sport - SOLD!
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT BATMAN!!

Just got the call from CarMax. This is where I bought the car and have the extended warranty. I gave them the list of items to check if they were under warrenty and ALSO asked for an estimate on a Brake job - frnt rotors and pads.

total for all repairs $2,863.10 $984 is under warrenty $1937.74 is not

Time to DIY the pads and rotors!!! Lucky for me my neighbors kid is a shadetree mechanic and has tools, jack lifts etc. so I will give him $200 to sit and watch me bust up my knuckles!!

My Cars
    2000 Titanium Silver e39
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedOne2 View Post
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT BATMAN!!

Just got the call from CarMax. This is where I bought the car and have the extended warranty. I gave them the list of items to check if they were under warrenty and ALSO asked for an estimate on a Brake job - frnt rotors and pads.

total for all repairs $2,863.10 $984 is under warrenty $1937.74 is not

Time to DIY the pads and rotors!!! Lucky for me my neighbors kid is a shadetree mechanic and has tools, jack lifts etc. so I will give him $200 to sit and watch me bust up my knuckles!!
    Thats ridiculous.
    I'm a newbie and it took me 2-3 hours to replace all my pads and my rotors. I didn't even have the right Hex/Allen key for the calipers.