Thread: Brake pad question for HPDE

My Cars
    2012 328i

Brake pad question for HPDE

Has anyone ran Pagid Sport pads at a driving school? It would be 8 -30min sessions over 2 days. Did they work for you or did they fade pretty quickly?

Thanks!
    Jason B.
    12 328i
    00 540i Sport - 6spd
    95 M3 - sold
    --------------------------------

My Cars
    M Coupe
    What tires do you have?
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    1987/9 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by e36IndyM3 View Post
    Has anyone ran Pagid Sport pads at a driving school? It would be 8 -30min sessions over 2 days. Did they work for you or did they fade pretty quickly?

Thanks!
    Here's my setup:

E30 2dr 325 w/i motor
    Khumo V711 225/15
    Pagid Blue Sport front
    Axxis Metal Master rear
    AP 550 Fluid

I absolutely love these pads... but depending on your driving style, your results may vary. I like to think I'm pretty quick for a street car on street tires... but at the same time, I'm fairly conservative cause I don't want to bend up my daily driver. (i.e. I don't max out on top speed, but I do brake fairly late and hard).

But... I've run them on Roebling Road, CMP, VIR, and Road Atlanta and I have the utmost confidence in them that they'll stop me when I need them to.
    Stacy (Stack) King
    Owner, Asphalt Ventures, LLC

My Cars
    87 325is
    I'd say that the answer will depend on your skill level, what tires you use, and the particular track. Paradoxically, a beginning student is likely to be harder on the brakes than one with more highly developed skills. That's because a beginner tends to be gentler with braking and hasn't yet gained the skills to keep the speed up in corners. The Pagid Sport pads will probably be okay if you are a beginner and you can always run a lap or to a bit slower if you start to feel any brake fade.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    Too many...or...NOT
    I've run Pagid Blue's (Sport) on my E36 M3 at Rd Atlanta 1 month ago..and will not purchase them again....

Extreme fade with me after a few laps...10A at Rd Atlanta becomes a "toss it in" b/c I end up too deep.

It's all related to skill level, track, car prep, etc....

Do you plan on driving to/from the track with these pads, or changing?...

Specter325 has had good luck with Carbotech's I think...maybe he'll chime in...he instructs as well, drives to/from the track and is quite hard on brakes..with nothing but good things to say about the pads.

Give more input as to your skill level, plans of changing pads at track or not etc...etc......and you'll get more specific answers.

Good Luck.
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    87 951, 88 M3 2.5, 88 E30 S52 Project, 95 M3/2 Slicktop, 96 E36 "TrackBeater", 97 M3/4 Slicktop, 97 TJ, 98 M3/4 Daily, 00 F150 7700
    E36 TrackBeater Project Thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=884145

My Cars
    2012 328i
    I am on street tires and have about 4 days worth of track time at Putnum Park - where the DE is going to be. I also have a set of Hawk Blue's but I am driving the car to and from so you know how that goes down.

The Hawk's worked great last time I was out - but the dust and rotor wear on my DD was pretty harsh. I think it was worth it though since in two days of driving they never faded once.

Thanks!
    Last edited by e36IndyM3; 04-04-2007 at 10:52 PM.
    Jason B.
    12 328i
    00 540i Sport - 6spd
    95 M3 - sold
    --------------------------------

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    E36:

You may want to check into Carbotech's (www.CTBrakes.com) Panther XP Plus. They call it a track pad but it seems to me it's more of a track day/street pad. I used them for every day for a while. Easy on the rotors, a bit dusty, squeak occassionally on cold days, and good stopping power as a compromise brake pad. If you want track spec pads look at their XP8, XP10 or XP12 pads. I run XP12 on front and XP10 on rear, but they have to changed out for street use as they are extremely noisy and VERY dusty!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
    www.MVPTrackTime.com

My Cars
    sig
    I am on street tires and have about 4 days worth of track time at Putnum Park - where the DE is going to be. I also have a set of Hawk Blue's but I am driving the car to and from so you know how that goes down.
    If you are taking about using the Pagid Sport dark blue compound, then I say go for it. Where you are at right now skill level-wise, the Pagid Sports will be just fine at Putnam.

Years ago, I went through a set of these pads on a stock E36 M3 daily driver and they worked well for me at Mid Ohio and BeaveRun (I think it was the year they opened). I can't remember how many track weekends I got out of them, but I remember they lasted longer than I expected. My only complaint with them is that it felt like I was going to slide off the driveway and into the street the first time I applied the brakes on the way to work on a cold wet morning. No big deal if you are prepared for it.

My advice for you at your current skill level is to get a little more experience before jumping into a full race pad. If you stay on street tires and use a good higher temp combo street-track pad for a while you will wind up being a much better track driver in the long run.

ben

1995 BMW M3/2: arktissilber with silly stickers // a big boy's track toy, #228 IP-lite/GTS2.
    1998 BMW M3/4: arktissilber with sillier pink motorsport flags // sadly missed ex-daily driver, current track toy for the wife
    2014 Tesla Model S P85D // refreshingly mod-proof
    2014 BMW X1 // 4 banger MSport with a kiss of Dinan
    and the obnoxious towing setup to accommodate two little crazy kiddios and all their stuff that comes along with the family circus on track weekends.

My Cars
    18 M3, 15 x5, 67Mustang

Thanks!
    The Pagid Sports should be fine if you are still learning. Once you get quicker you can step up to the Pagid Orange which is one my favorite pads. Lasts forever, reasonably priced, and easy on the rotors. Let me know if you need any help in the future deciding on pads.

My Cars
    2006 M Coupe, 1949 Cadillac
    Quote Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
    E36:

You may want to check into Carbotech's (www.CTBrakes.com) Panther XP Plus. They call it a track pad but it seems to me it's more of a track day/street pad. I used them for every day for a while. Easy on the rotors, a bit dusty, squeak occassionally on cold days, and good stopping power as a compromise brake pad. If you want track spec pads look at their XP8, XP10 or XP12 pads. I run XP12 on front and XP10 on rear, but they have to changed out for street use as they are extremely noisy and VERY dusty!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
    www.MVPTrackTime.com
    I have a set of PantherXP Plus (since renamed) on the rears and XP8 on the fronts. This is what Carbotech suggested for combined track and street use. They do squeal, but I can live with that.
    Hawk Blues were so hard on the rotors that I had to toss them after two DEs, and more than half the pads were left.