Thread: How to safely remove dried black paint/tar/wtf-is-it from the hood/headlights?

My Cars
    bmw

How to safely remove dried black paint/tar/wtf-is-it from the hood/headlights?

This is not about the M... rather a bright red '02 honda accord owned by my GF. If you care to keep reading, continue...

She was driving and doesn't know how it happened (sigh) but there is now this stuff splattered all over the hood, windshield and plastic headlights. It's flat black in color, looks more like paint than tar, and it has pretty well dried all over the car. It can be scratched off with spit on a fingernail but cannot be rubbed off with spit on a finger. I get the feeling that it won't come off when it's washed.

Basically I'm looking for a product that I can safely use get this crap off the car without messing up the paint. Wax? polish? I'm a bit afraid to use compound because I did this on a spot on my red 318is and it made the paint rather dull.

Need advice - thanks

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Wash first, then clay bar as needed.

If that doesn't work then get back to us.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    E36 M3 + 2010 XT
    clay bar with lube

My Cars
    335D, E30 318ci,E30 M3
    clay bar if that doesnt work...I have this stuff called bug and tar... its petroleum based and takes it right off along with the wax though so do it before u rewax the car

My Cars
    1994 M3
    if it is tar, kerosene will remove it very easily
    cheers, Alan

1/4 mile-12.92 @ 108.64mph-NA 3.0L m3 daily driver

My Cars
    bmw
    is there a certain kind of clay bar that works well for the money? Sorry I haven't even held one, much less used one

thank you all - i will def try this first

My Cars
    m3,07 Monte SS, gmc 2500 burb,Harley Road King
    Urine on a Honda works for me.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I'd try Tarminator first.
    Tom
    "POS VETT"
    "WAHJUDI"
    "PRIK NSD"
    "QUINN A W"

My Cars
    08'FJCruiser,93'Cobra
    WD-40 will do it easily without harming anything!
    The government doesn't have two parties. It's one organization with two marketing departments.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatreds. You cannot establish security on borrowed money. You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. William J. H. Boetcker known as "The Ten Cannots" (1916)

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by m3gent View Post
    Urine on a Honda works for me.
    yeah i'm not a fan of it. It's reliable, ie: I have to work on her car less. I'd rather work on mine and let her drive something that doesn't break.