Thread: putting on a wood dash trim kit on a e36

My Cars
    1996 328i

putting on a wood dash trim kit on a e36

I think this is probably the hardest thing to find, but it seems like like something that lots of people would know about. Does anyone know what i would do if i bought a e36 wood dash trim kit, how I would put it on. Do I just stick it over the black plastic ( not sure material ) or is there a way I would take off the covers? I would be buying a full kit including going around the climate control and obc etc... just not sure if I'm just suppose to just stick right on or take the covers off.

Thanks
    Rob Nixon

My Cars
    '99 328is M-Technic
    Thats funny, I just bought a '99 323ic with that type of "wood interior kit". I then promptly ripped it all out. Honestly its a very cheesy upgrade that looks like ass. Just a heads up. And BTW, its just goes over the existing trim.
    WANTED - '96-'99 E36 M3 OR 328is MTech

My Cars
    2015 M3
    Rob, the ones that came with the car are fitted, in one piece, to go around the console. By getting a sticker kind of thing (I'm guessing eBay), I honestly don't think it will look anywhere close to factory. Although personally I think that that wood trim is hideous and has absolutely no place in any car, let alone a BMW, your best bet is to look in the for sale section for a factory trim set. Most people whose e36's came with wood trim proptly ripped it out, so you should have no problem finding one. Out of curiosity, why are you looking to replace your dash trim? Is is damaged, or do you just want a change?

My Cars
    1996 328i
    I was kind of worried that it wouldn't look that good. I'm trying to find a picture of one that some one has done. JBURGS, my dash isn't bad at all. I'm just looking around to see if I can find a wood dash that would look nice. just looking for change. I wouldn't buy anything unless I seriously thought that it would make my vehicle look much sexier. Thanks both of you for your input. I probably going to try look for a factory trim set. Thanks both of you for your advice.

Thanks
    Rob Nixon

My Cars
    18 M2, 20 WRX
    there is some one selling some wood grain stuff off of a parts car...look in the parts section
    BMW M2, Subaru WRX ( WRX > M2)
    Waiting on the 2021 STI...

My Cars
    2015 M3
    Idk how "sexy" a wood dash trim kit is, to me it screams old 1980's station wagon. Some people have pulled off very nice carbon fiber and brushed aluminum trims, depending on the color of your car you may want to check them out. I'm sure they can be found in the Rides and Styling section. G/L whatever you choose to do.

My Cars
    18 M2, 20 WRX
    wood trim is nice but i would way rather have aluminum or carbon fire
    BMW M2, Subaru WRX ( WRX > M2)
    Waiting on the 2021 STI...

My Cars
    '97 318is

Don't do it!!!

I bought a '97 318is with this add-on and it only cost the owner a couple of grand. It seems it shrunk at a different rate then the trim causing the trim to peal off from the body. Made it very hard to sell the car, so I got a very good deal. Now to replace all the trim...

My Cars
    Anthracite 2000 540i/6
    factory ftw

1994 325iC/5 Sport
    1999 323i/5 Sport
    2000 540i/6 Sport... Pics to come

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Lol, I'm done some other research at google, i found a picture of my car with all wood panels etc... It looks like it's to much. I'm thinking of just getting a couple pieces if I can, like the band on the glove box etc...

Thanks again for everyones input.

Thanks
    Rob Nixon

My Cars
    '93 325is, '89 Jag XJS
    Quote Originally Posted by JBURGS47 View Post
    Rob, the ones that came with the car are fitted, in one piece, to go around the console. By getting a sticker kind of thing (I'm guessing eBay), I honestly don't think it will look anywhere close to factory. Although personally I think that that wood trim is hideous and has absolutely no place in any car, let alone a BMW, your best bet is to look in the for sale section for a factory trim set. Most people whose e36's came with wood trim proptly ripped it out, so you should have no problem finding one. Out of curiosity, why are you looking to replace your dash trim? Is is damaged, or do you just want a change?
    So you are saying in NO car should there be wood trim? Have you seen the interior of one of the new Infinity M45s? My gfs dad has one, and the interior looks soo good in my opinion. I can agree that most of the aftermarket wood trim kits look like garbage, but I disagree in that I think it CAN be done right from factory or even aftermarket if you spend enough to make it look factory.

'93 325is - When it gets pretty enough I will have pictures
    *I may be parting out my '89 XJS, if you have an interest or know someone who would PM me.*