Thread: Rubbing noise when braking

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP

Rubbing noise when braking

Hey everyone. Ever since I bought my car, there ahs been some type of a rubbing noise that occurs when I brake. I had BMW check the pad thickness, and they said it was fine. The noise seems to be coming from the rear left wheel well, but it may have migrated to the front right well also...does anyone have any idea what might cause this noise? Sorry for the vague description...

My Cars
    2014 320i XDrive
    pphilo9,

I assume the BMW mechanic checked the car out thoroughly...yes ?

If there WAS a problem with the brake, he should have spotted it.

Does the noise happen just when you apply the brake ?

Have you checked the calipers ? one could be sticking

Bed the brakes in properly ? ** very important **

are the pads seated properly...not cocked or bent ?

Replaced the rotors when the brakes were done ?

If not, the pad could be cutting into the Rotor

I suspect the sensor would have gone off if that ocurred.

Dirt/brake dust build up perhaps.

Bring it back to the BMW shop and have them drive the car so they car hear

the sound.

Your brakes should make ZERO noise when driving.

Nothing should be rubbing.

Good luck

My Cars
    02 BMW 325ci

Guess this sound

I just changed my front brakes recently (pads and rotors). But for some odd reason when I'm at a stop and I slowly accelerate to move forward I hear a really deep humming sound. It happens for a second or two and then goes away. It has happened several times but does not occur all the time... any guesses at the sound? It's hard to explain the deep humming sound, almost a deep bass sound.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    pphil09, your brakes should make some noise when they're being applied. After all, it IS two large chunks of metal being rubbed together and E46's and most new cars have this noise. If you can't hear it above a radio playing a song (not talk radio) at a normal level, don't worry about it.

Jags, I suspect you have a sticking caliper. Do this: put the car in the air and spin the wheels, I suspect you'll be able to determine which one is sticking fairly quickly.

My Cars
    2014 320i XDrive
    I disagree with critter ( to a certain point )

Of course there is going to be ( perhaps ) some light noise when the brakes are applied.

But this is obviously more than that, for phill09 to be complaining about it.

I hear absolutely nothing from my brakes. Outside the normal stopping.

I pay close attention to the sounds the car makes.

If my brakes were rubbing , I would have them checked.

It isn't good to tell members that it is ok, because it might not be.

To be on the safe side, have the dealer look at it again.

And if it turns out to be nothing, than no harm was done.

Better to be on the safe side, don't you think ?

My Cars
    '02 325Ci & '06 Raven R1
    ^^yea brakes arent anything to fuck around with

My Cars
    Fern Green E46 coupe
    A humming noise could also be caused by bad wheel bearings which sometimes also go in the rear. And you would only hear the sound sometimes as well...

BMW F01 Alpine White 750i xDrive (w/Oyster Interior) - PICS
    BMW E63 Jet Black 645ci - SOLD
    BMW E46 Fern Green 323ci - SOLD

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    OK...thatnks for the responses. THe noise occurs during the later part of braking i.e. from 20-0, not from 35-25... I also dont get a feeling of slowing down, actually, my car dosent slow down, if I dont apply quite a bit of pressure to the brake pedal...worn rotors maybe? It seems like there is qutie a bit of time between engaging the brakes, and contact with the rotors. Maybe this can help you guys...

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    There is also some type of a mechanical *urch* nosie after coming to a complete stop...

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by sd203 View Post
    I disagree with critter ( to a certain point )

Of course there is going to be ( perhaps ) some light noise when the brakes are applied.

But this is obviously more than that, for phill09 to be complaining about it.

I hear absolutely nothing from my brakes. Outside the normal stopping.

I pay close attention to the sounds the car makes.

If my brakes were rubbing , I would have them checked.

It isn't good to tell members that it is ok, because it might not be.

To be on the safe side, have the dealer look at it again.

And if it turns out to be nothing, than no harm was done.

Better to be on the safe side, don't you think ?

For the record, just because somebody is complaining about it, doesn't mean there's something wrong. As a service advisor, I get at least one complaint a week about normal brake noise from E46 brakes (and the customer is SURE something is wrong with their brakes because "none of their other cars made that noise") that is just the customer turning his radio off and hearing the brakes making their normal noise - hence the comment about hearing the noise over the radio set at a normal listening level.

The reason you've never heard the noise of your brakes before is because the interior noise levels of newer cars is lower than ever from other sources outside the vehicle. If you've ever slept with a fan going, you know that higher ambient noise means you don't hear all the other little noises going on, but turn off that fan (make the car quieter) and suddenly you start hearing all sorts of noises you never noticed before.

That said, if playing the radio at a level that still allows you to speak normally to your passenger covers up the noise you're hearing from the brakes, then there is nothing wrong.

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    As much as I respect and appreciate your opinion, I am still not convinced that my brakes are fine. Just for the sake of peace of mind, I think I am going to take it to the dealer to see what they say. As said earlier, brakes arent something you mess around with. I will update when I get an answer.

My Cars
    03 330 Cabrio, 07 Audi 4.2 Q7, 03 2.5L Z4
    Mine does the same thing at low speeds.
    I know its a front right bearing. I will change it in a month or so.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If you're convinced something is wrong, by all means have it checked. Just trying to set your mind at ease about the brake noise level that is normal. If the noise you're hearing (this applies for anybody else too) can only be heard when you turn off the radio, only be heard at speeds below about 15-20 mph and sounds kinda like a bowling ball rolling on concrete, then it's the normal noise I've been talking about.

gkoutsis: Do the hillbilly test on your bearing...find a wide open road and swerve back and forth at about 40mph, if the noise comes (turning left, and loading the right bearing) and goes (turning right, and unloading the right bearing), then it's your bearing.

My Cars
    03 330 Cabrio, 07 Audi 4.2 Q7, 03 2.5L Z4
    Do the hillbilly test on your bearing...find a wide open road and swerve back and forth at about 40mph, if the noise comes (turning left, and loading the right bearing) and goes (turning right, and unloading the right bearing), then it's your bearing.
    Thats what I did. When I put a load on the bearing I hear it more. When I unload it, it goes away. I also have a thumb,thumb,thumb when crusing at steady speeds.

Thanks for tip though

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by gkoutsis View Post
    Thats what I did. When I put a load on the bearing I hear it more. When I unload it, it goes away. I also have a thumb,thumb,thumb when crusing at steady speeds.

Thanks for tip though
    The Hill Billy test truly works. Luckily for you, a front bearing is a breeze to change. Only one more big nut to take off after the rotors/calipers are removed.

The rears .... that's an entirely different monster.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by pphil09 View Post
    Hey everyone. Ever since I bought my car, there ahs been some type of a rubbing noise that occurs when I brake. I had BMW check the pad thickness, and they said it was fine. The noise seems to be coming from the rear left wheel well, but it may have migrated to the front right well also...does anyone have any idea what might cause this noise? Sorry for the vague description...
    Maybe you just glazed them. Have you been braking hard on the go stop traffic? Like you hit the gas brake hard two blocks down, hit the gas so on and so forth??

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    I live in a town of 5000. Town of 5000=No stop and go.

My Cars
    00' 323i
    If it makes you feel any better, my brakes have been very loud since I bought my car. When I stop I hear/feel a rough noise coming from my front brakes. I've had my car in several times to the dealership and each time I hear the same thing. "You have rough aftermarket break pads that are abnormally louder than the OEM ones." After 4 visits to the dealership and hearing the same thing from 4 different people, I'm convinced that my breaks are perfectly fine. Sure they're a little loud, but they still stop on a dime!

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by rothyman View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, my brakes have been very loud since I bought my car. When I stop I hear/feel a rough noise coming from my front brakes. I've had my car in several times to the dealership and each time I hear the same thing. "You have rough aftermarket break pads that are abnormally louder than the OEM ones." After 4 visits to the dealership and hearing the same thing from 4 different people, I'm convinced that my breaks are perfectly fine. Sure they're a little loud, but they still stop on a dime!
    Wow...I had pretty much given up on this thread. That does make me feel better though.

My Cars
    2000 323it
    OK...thatnks for the responses. THe noise occurs during the later part of braking i.e. from 20-0, not from 35-25... I also dont get a feeling of slowing down, actually, my car dosent slow down, if I dont apply quite a bit of pressure to the brake pedal...worn rotors maybe? It seems like there is qutie a bit of time between engaging the brakes, and contact with the rotors. Maybe this can help you guys...
    Have you checked your brake fluid level? The brakes on these cars are very sensative... you should not have to apply very much pressure at ALL to get the brakes to respond. Perhaps you have a leak in one of your lines or at the caliper. Do you notice any fluids on your wheels or just the normal (hight for these cars) amount of brake dust?

If the rotors were bad, you would have a "shimmy" when applying the brakes, usually at higher speeds. Shouldn't cause the noise or symptoms you are describing though. A delay in applying brakes and pressure from pads to rotors can only mean not enough pressure being delivered to the calipers. The problem could very well be somewhere above the wheel!

If you're not able to diagnose it on your own, I would definately take it somewhere very SOON and have it test driven by a mechanic that knows these cars and knows what the brakes are supposed to feel like.

My Cars
    2001 330ci
    Hey pphil09, I’m having the same issue it seems. Wondering if you ever got a verdict on what was going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    nil
    Wow...I had pretty much given up on this thread. That does make me feel better though.
    Don't give up, I found replacing the brakes all the way around on our 330xi, really got rid of a load of noises.
    DSC_0009.jpg
    The corrosion effect from the PNW really does a job on them. Surprisingly, I found the need to do caliper bushings as well, while in there. Cleaned up things behind the rear rotor which seemed to help. Good luck with it.
    Regards