Thread: Auto tranny question - it kicks hard when it shifts is this normal ?

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1990 E30

Auto tranny question - it kicks hard when it shifts is this normal ?

NO HATE PLEASE ! I'm a girl and i don't know much about cars ok !!!!!

Just baught my new car ! 318i 1997 for $6K CND !!! Only 180 000 km on it. What a deal ! Any cleaner than this she'd be new.

But.... it is very diffrent than my 325i 1990 i just sold yesterday.

Maybe it's me who's not used to a newer car but it seems like my auto tranny on my new 318 kicks hard when it shifts compared to my auto 1990 325i.

Is it normal ? It runs very well otherwise but it takes her time to move too.... maybe the change from the 6cyl. to the 4cyl. ?

Thanks !

My Cars
    97 328i, 03 530i
    I don't think it should kick hard when shifting...It should be smooth. Maybe try changing the tranny fluid?

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    check you fluid it should be a light red and full, if its a dark/deep red and if it smells like its burnt change it. most of the time if it smell burnt that smell is caused by the clutches in side the trans slipping, which means you need a rebuild.

you chould get a 5 speed, it will give you better control of your car, and make you a better driver
    best of luck
    Becoming a Professional OT Troll . CAN Bus Project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c VGT/VNT +LDA controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

Quote Originally Posted by [B]SilverBeam[/B]
    Dude you're the biggest asshole ever. I will never reply to your texts or call you back EVER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser
    I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

My Cars
    '95 318i
    +1 on checking the fluid.

Here's a link that might help:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

This is more on changing the fluid, but fluid level and quality are critical for an automatic.

My Cars
    Many in the worshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keaton View Post
    check you fluid it should be a light red and full, if its a dark/deep red and if it smells like its burnt change it. most of the time if it smell burnt that smell is caused by the clutches in side the trans slipping, which means you need a rebuild.

you chould get a 5 speed, it will give you better control of your car, and make you a better driver
    best of luck
    It will give you better control of your car, and make you a better driver! Seeing as its a AUTO it wont give U better control of the car,It will change up or down when IT wants 2 whether u like it or not, and it wont make u a better driver, thats called practise!

My Cars
    '93 325is, '89 Jag XJS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tefal View Post
    It will give you better control of your car, and make you a better driver! Seeing as its a AUTO it wont give U better control of the car,It will change up or down when IT wants 2 whether u like it or not, and it wont make u a better driver, thats called practise!
    I am pretty sure that by 5 speed he meant a 5 speed manual. The rest of the statement would then make sense...

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1990 E30
    Thanks. My mechanic who is a BMW pro told me she was fine. As a matter of fact he said she was mint. But, i just changed from a 325i 1990 with a bigger engine too so could it be just me that's not used to it ? You guys are freaking me out now !!!!!! My tranny is shit ? OOO no ! I just baught it : )

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    no its not normal and yes the switch from a 6 to a 4 would be slower...but should be better on gas....you say it shifts hard but what kind of other noises does it make ...also is the hard shifting only from 1st to 2nd or through out all the gears...also the hard shift is there a pause between shifts then it shifts with a hard jerk or is it mostly noise....how many miles are on the car? take note just because a car looks good on the outside and near perfect condition doesnt mean it was taking care of mechanically anybody can have a car detailed to make it look new...but it can run like crap.....I really hope you didnt buy a "lemon"...

like the other people said you can check the tranny fluid...just do a search on the forums on this subject...cause I am pretty sure it has been covered in another thread in detail

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Adele View Post
    Thanks. My mechanic who is a BMW pro told me she was fine. As a matter of fact he said she was mint. But, i just changed from a 325i 1990 with a bigger engine too so could it be just me that's not used to it ? You guys are freaking me out now !!!!!! My tranny is shit ? OOO no ! I just baught it : )
    Don't let the people here freak you out. Lots of people here go immediately for the worst possible scenario. "You say your car shifts hard compared to your 325? Well, that means your car is going to explode!!!"

My 2 cents: have another bmw mechanic drive it and see what he says. Your first mech say it's mint, but just to make sure, get a second opinion

My Cars
    '94 325ic
    Yah, have it checked out (usually before you buy it) by a mechanic. If it is a trans issue, and you let it go on for too long, it'll end up costing you more in the long run to get it fixed.

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1990 E30
    It kicks only in 1rst and second gear - only at slow speed ( like 30m/hr ) when i dont give it lots of gas... but no noise or nothign. At higher speed of if i give it more gas i dont eiven feel it shift....so maybe i'm just not used to it yet. I checked the fluid like you guys said to do, it's rather dark and is half empty but it does'nt smell burnt or anything. It's just due for a change.

My Cars
    E36
    It kicks only in 1rst and second gear - only at slow speed ( like 30m/hr ) when i dont give it lots of gas... but no noise or nothign. At higher speed of if i give it more gas i dont eiven feel it shift....so maybe i'm just not used to it yet. I checked the fluid like you guys said to do, it's rather dark and is half empty but it does'nt smell burnt or anything. It's just due for a change.
    Uhm, you got under your car and checked the fluid? Normally speaking auto trannies don't have dipsticks so are you sure you checked the correct fluid?

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Wait a second, are girls supposed to refer to cars as "she"???

My Cars
    '93 325is, '89 Jag XJS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiptronik View Post
    +1 on checking the fluid.

Here's a link that might help:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

This is more on changing the fluid, but fluid level and quality are critical for an automatic.
    This is a phenominal reference. I am having the problem it describes. It makes perfect sense. As soon as I get get the required equipment I will be doing this.

And buying the book of course. :-p

My Cars
    PandaShizzle
    Is your name Rachelle?
    You can change your future, not your past.

Originally Posted by BoneThug
    holds the mystery of the panda show

My Cars
    1994 E36 Coupe
    I don't want to alarm you, but some times being alarmed can save you money in the long run.

When I bought my 1994 318iS, the transmission shifted "hard" as well, 4 months later it was worse, as the slipping started as well. I dropped around $550 on a replacement transmission and did the installation myself, with the help of a friend.

If it comes down to it, and you have any friends who are mechanically inclined (not your every day back-yard mechanic, but actually knows bmws), go that route for replacement as doing it through a shop is outrageous on BMW's. Just make sure the torque converter clicks 3 times when pushed on to the transmission, not 2 times like most cars, or you'll be doing it 2-3 times (dont ask me how I know LOL).

Good luck with your BMW, as you made a great choice on getting the E36.