RM European Auto Parts

Thread: ABS problem scanner can't communicate

My Cars
    95 m3

ABS problem scanner can't communicate

((((UPDATE BELOW))))

Ok I know alot of people would love to flame me for posting another thread about an abs problem but Ive researched all i can and for once i would love to actualy use this forum to get an answer or help.

95 bmw m3

Problem with abs. abs light would come on but i could turn car on off and it would sometimes go away. So i checked all speed sensors one was bad, the front left one. I cleaned all the rest anyway. when i got the new sensor it was a little diffrent then the old one. old part number 1181231 it is silver and only has 2 prongs at end. new one is black but i have researched and it says is ment for my car... it has three prongs at end, but since the original female for the sensor in the car has 3 holes i didnt see a problem. s227b02 or it is 179329

everything was fine for a week, now after i start up car and drive a few feet the abs comes on. Now i have talked to alot of ppl including some of the tech guys in the back of the bmw dealer. I have checked my tires sizes they are staggerd but not by much and the car comes staggered so they assured me its not that. the abs modulator was replaced in my car a year ago as well. I dont think its the relay ether because the light only comes on when car moves.

Now what everyone is telling me is to go get my car scanned. well besides the dealer i dont know anyone that can scan my obd1 car. I dont want to realy pay the dealer 140 for them to scan my car. So i was looking into where i could buy an abs scanner an old one or somthing but i couldnt find anything. Besides that when my car was having problems a year ago my mechanic took my car to the dealer and he said their scanners couldnt talk to my computer. I tried my mechanics scanner it says obd2 but in the manual says it should be able to read a 95 e36 ... anyway it couldnt it said something like unable to communicate, even though it still turned on when i connected it to my car.

So please help where can i get my car scanned, or where can i get a scanner that can read abs and obd1, does anyone know of a problem with having that new sensor... do i need to replace all of the sensors so they match???? has anyone had a problem where a scanner could not communicate with their car???

Please dont blow this thread off im not trying to add junk on the forum i realy would love some help and ive talked to a lot of people and i cant get this fixed.
    Last edited by @bgynite@; 04-06-2007 at 05:43 PM.
    "While a good friend will bail you out of jail, a best friend will be right by your side, saying THAT WAS F@CKING AWSOME!!!!"

My Cars
    87 325is
    At this point your only realistic option is a dealer or a shop that has a full-up BMW diag system (MoDIC, DIS, GT1, SnapOn Solus w/BMW module, etc). If those can't communicate with the ABS module you have to consider the possibility that the ABS module is bad or that some other module is bad and is hanging the bus. Diagnosing a communication problem can wind up being a case of temporarily swapping in a module at a time until the faulty module(s) are identified. In most cases that means having it done at a dealer who has the spares available.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    95 m3
    ok here is an update. after i replaced the front wheel speed sensor everything was good for a week. then i found out that fuse 38- abs acs fuse blew. It blew again 5 days later y? I also had a high amp alternator put in to power my stereo, but i dont think this higher amperage is the problem.

My real problem is that no one has been able to communicate with my abs with a scanner. since the abs is working and the module was replace a year ago i dont think its bad.

I have been told the only reason for not being able to comunicate is that a ground to the abs is bad or its not getting teh right power. also no one could talk to my abs before i put in the higher alternator so again not the problem. I found out that the abs modual gets power through the relay and that those do fail so i replaced mine, but it has made no difference and ppl still can not scan my abs? what gives guys any ideas.....
    "While a good friend will bail you out of jail, a best friend will be right by your side, saying THAT WAS F@CKING AWSOME!!!!"

My Cars
    87 325is
    If your dealer can't interrogate the ABS module, either it is bad or some other module is hanging the bus. Results from any diag lesser system than what you'll find at a dealer are inconclusive.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    I have try connect carsoft to scan ABS not communicate with module any idea what is wrong ?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Well, first you need to identify the car. It would also be good to start your own thread, since this one is fifteen years old, and discusses a completely different car.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Annddrriy View Post
    I have try connect carsoft to scan ABS not communicate with module any idea what is wrong ?
    for your 02/1990 E32 735iA you can use the ABS blink test without any scanner, I explained that here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...light=ABS+test
    Last edited by shogun; 01-29-2023 at 08:02 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    ABS module not communicate with scanner ? ABS module pin 30 to DLC pin 15 RXD and ABS module pin 31 to DLC pin 20 TXD those two wires from ABS module pins 30 and 31 to Diagnostic Link Connector not installed.
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 01-28-2023 at 04:42 PM. Reason: ABS not communicate with scanner

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You were asked A YEAR AGO to identify the car, and you still haven't done so.

Start your own thread; this one is sixteen years old. Tell what car you have, what problem, exactly, you're having with the ABS, (besides that you can't communicate with it) and what scan tool you're using to try and communicate.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    BMW E32 1990 735i ABS module not communicate with scanner Zeus Snap- On

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The only scan tool I've found that will read any BMW of that era is the SnapOn "brick" 2500 model.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+2500&_sacat=0

Even then, some of the ancient ABS modules would not talk to a scanner of any sort; they communicated by blink codes, as mentioned by SHOGUN, above. Try the link he provided.

If you have an ABS light that comes on after you drive the car a few feet, try unplugging 3 of the 4 sensors, then drive the car. If the light still returns, the connected sensor is good. If the light no longer illuminates, that sensor is bad. Follow through 'til you find the bad sensor. If this doesn't point to the culprit, buy a used ABS hydraulic unit, and install / bleed it. You might try buying a set; ABS control module with the hydraulic unit. Make absolutely sure the part numbers match yours on both components.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    His car is a 02/1990 E32 735iA. In the E32 forum he got this reply, just for info: ABS was not connected to the Diagnostic Link in 1990. It was added in 1991.
    See ETM Page 0680-00 for 1990 and 1991. See again Page 3450-00 for 1991 showing A7 ABS pins 30 and 31 wired to RXD and TXD. But the wires are not there in 1990.
    So you should determine how your 1990 car is wired. The page dates are 09/89 and 10/90.
    For 02/1990 built year/month always use the ETM 1990 which is from 06/1989 - 08/1990
    Last edited by shogun; 01-29-2023 at 08:08 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    So, on to manual diagnosis!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    yes, Sir, manual diagnosis. Some more info from the website of BBA Reman with regards to ABS problems

Advanced Hints and Tips : BMW ABS problems

ENGINE APPEARS TO MISFIRE OR STUMBLE INTERMITENTLY
    MODELS AFFECTED: 5 Series E34, 7 series E32 , 8 series E31, all equipped with ASC.
    FAULT: Under certain specific conditions an apparent engine misfire or bucking may occur. This is not an engine misfire.
    CAUSE: Short (less than 100 milliseconds) fuel injection cut-off, as a result of MSR (engine drag torque control) regulation. This is a normal ASC function that may occur under these conditions:
    The vehicle is equipped with ASC -Vehicle speed between 45 and 60 MPH -A rough road surface (e.g. potholes, railroad tracks) -Light throttle (accelerator pedal only depressed 1/8) -ASC not switched off.
    SOLUTION: Replace the ASC control unit. no further diagnosis of the ABS/ASC system should be necessary.

ABS WARNING LIGHT ON
    MODELS AFFECTED: 3 series E36 and Z3 produced up to 5/96
    FAULT: The ABS warning lamp is on in the instrument cluster, and fault code 145 (pump inoperable) stored in the ABS control module memory.
    CAUSE: Faulty relays produced prior to may 1996.
    SOLUTION: Use the DIS tester to confirm that fault code 145 is set in the ABS control unit. Work through test instructions in DIS confirm that the fault is not caused by any other components. Then replace the gray ABS pump motor relay, witch is located in the power distribution box, rear left side of engine compartment.

MICROPROCESSOR CONTROLLED ABS (uC-ABS) STORES ERRONEOUS INTERNAL DEFECT FAULT
    MODELS AFFECTED: 7series E32 -vehicles produced 06/91 and later, equipped with M30 engine. 5 series E34 -vehicles produced 9/91 and later.
    FAULT: Increasing number of uC-ABS control units are being returned for showing internal defect during troubleshooting and readout of the fault memory. In most cases the fault is erroneous.
    CAUSE: If the ignition is switched on with the cap of the D100 diagnostic connector removed, the erroneous fault can be set by a low voltage condition on the TTD lead to this control unit.
    SOLUTION: Erase the fault in the uC-ABS fault memory, while the diagnostic module is still connected and the ignition is switched on. -Before disconnecting the diagnostic cable, switch off the ignition -Reconnect the cap for the D100 diagnostic connector, then switch on the ignition again. -Do not replace control unit.

ASC AND/OR ABS WARNING LAMP ON
    MODELS AFFECTED: 3 series E 46, vehicles produced up to 9/98
    FAULT: The ASC and/or ABS warning lamps are on, with fault code 31 or 41 (rear wheel speed sensor) set in memory.
    CAUSE: Faulty rear wheel speed sensor.
    SOLUTION: Replace the wheel speed sensor with a sensor with production date 22/08 or later.

ASC LAMP ON, FAULT CODES
    MODELS AFFECTED: E38 (7 series), E39 (5 series) with M62, or M73 engine.
    FAULT: The ASC lamp is on and no fault codes are stored. If the under hood diagnostic connector is removed the ASC lamp goes off.
    CAUSE: Incorrect under hood OBD cap fitted.
    SOLUTION: Install correct OBD connector cap (part number 12521703202). The part number is inscribed into the OBD cap moulding

ABS WARNING LIGHT COMES ON
    MODELS AFFECTED: All with ABS
    FAULT: ABS warning light comes on intermittently. Normal troubleshooting procedures find no defect.
    CAUSE: If cars have recently had two new tires, or snow tires put on. Sometimes when the car is driven over 50 MPH.
    SOLUTION: Check all four tires on the car, make sure they are the same brand, style, and size. Check if any of the new tires have substantially more tread than the rest. These differences may cause enough variance in rolling diameters to confuse the ABS control unit, which intern gives a false signal to the ABS warning light.

ABS WARNING LIGHT GLOWS
    MODELS AFFECTED: 3 series E 36 -vehicles produced 1/96 to 3/96 without ASC.
    FAULT: On rare instances the ABS warning may glow slightly after other electrical consumers have been switched on. No fault is stored in the ABS control module fault memory.
    CAUSE: Hardware fault in the ABS control module.
    SOLUTION: If this is encountered replace the ABS control module.

ABS, ASC, AND ASC+T MALFUNCTION
    MODELS AFFECTED: All models equipped with ABS, ASC OR ASC+T
    FAULT: Any of the ABS ASC and ASC+T systems inoperative, intermittently inoperative, or illuminating the warning lamp.
    CAUSE: All BMW'S with slip control systems use 4 wheel speed sensors which monitor each wheels speed of rotation with a high accuracy. The system control unit uses this information to calculate a vehicle speed. In this way it detects wheel speed variation. If the inputs vary from each other by a certain amount, the control unit is not able to do the calculation reliably (plausibility fault) and takes its self off-line as a safety precaution(fail-safe). This can be because the wheels and tires are non-approved parts and therefore do not agree with the system.
    SOLUTION: Make sure the vehicle is fitted with BMW approved wheels and tires. Then do further diagnostic testing to check if fault is resolved.

EXCESSIVE NOISE FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT AFTER FIRST STARTING OFF(ABS SELF TEST)
    MODELS AFFECTED: 3 series E 36 - four door models only
    FAULT: A noise (described as a rattle, groan or growl) occurs only after the engine is started and the vehicle is put into motion. The noise is heard in the first 30 feet and only last a second.
    CAUSE: Most of the time the noise is from the pump activation portion of the ABS self-test.
    SOLUTION: The self test noise cannot be eliminated, can only be reduced, and even then not in all cases. One way is to install insulated brake lines (only on vehicles produced before 03/92).

ABS, ASC/DSC, ECM FAULTS
    MODELS AFFECTED: E38 (7 series)
    FAULT: The wire harness can get damaged. ABS, ASC/DSC ECM faults show:
    - 66 wheel sensor signal supply voltage
    - 67 intermittent interference
    - 5,6,7 wheel speed (plausibility)
    - 30 left rear wheel sensor
    CAUSE: The sharp edges on the tilt sensor(NAG) bracket damage the wire. The leak diagnosis pump(LDP) and the wire harness from the left rear wheel sensor is routed through the slot in the tilt sensor(NAG) bracket.
    SOLUTION: Remove the tilt(NAG) sensor, located behind the wheel arch in the left side of the trunk. Tape the sharp edges of the tilt sensor bracket with electrical tape to prevent further damage to the wire harness. Repair the wire harness and reinstall the tilt sensor. Using the DIS tester clear the fault codes.

BREAK INDUCED STEERING VIBRATION
    MODELS AFFECTED: E46 and four door models produced prior to 10/99.
    FAULT: Steering vibration when breaking, usually in the 50 to 60 MPH range.
    CAUSE: The front axle on some cars is extremely sensitive.
    SOLUTION: Remove front brake rotors and pads, also replace steering coupling and torx bolts with new parts. Make sure the front wheel assemblies are balanced before re-installing. If the vehicle has dampened hydraulic lines they need to be removed and replaced with original lines.

TWITCH FELT IN STEERING WHEEL ON RAPID BRAKE APPLICATION
    MODELS AFFECTED: E46 not equipped with DSC.
    FAULT: When the steering wheel is held very lightly with one hand and the brakes given a quick tap, it may twitch slightly once. There is no disruption of stability of the car and doesn't pull to either side.
    CAUSE: Could be from having unequal amounts of toe-in on each front wheel or because of a very slight time difference in the build up of pressure in each front brake caliper.
    SOLUTION: If the alignment has been corrected, you can install a dampener to modify the brake pressure build up curve.(If the vehicle is equipped with DSC a dampener can't be installed because it will affect the DSC operation).

ABS REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR
    MODELS AFFECTED: 3series E36 - 1992 models
    FAULT: After diagnosis of a ABS system using the BMW service tester the following faults may be set:
    - 84 or 88 wheel speed sensor missing or defective, left rear/right rear.
    - 100 or 104 wheel speed signal not plausible, left rear/right rear.
    CAUSE: The ABS wheel speed sensor at either rear wheel have poor solder connections at the coil connections.
    SOLUTION: The solder connections were improved in production from date code 0811 (81st day 1991). If the date code of the failed sensor is 0801 or lower, both rear wheel speed sensors need replacing.

ABS HYDRAULIC UNIT
    MODELS AFFECTED: 1993 318 is, 1993 325is, 1994 345 ic.
    FAULT: It's possible that during the assembly of the ABS hydraulic units of these vehicles, the six bolts which fasten the bottom cover of the unit to the housing were not tightened properly.
    SOLUTION: All affected vehicles(identified by the DCS inquiry) hydraulic units need to be checked by torquing one bolt on the bottom cover to 15 Nm. If it turns the unit must be replaced.

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Do you know if that tool Snap-On brick 2500 model what cartridge is using for ABS ?

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    BMW E32 Slip Control Module (ABS) and ABS Module is that same think ?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    there is the ABS hydro unit and the control module in your e-box. An Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) helps prevent the wheels from locking up whenever you hit the brakes. This is so you can still steer the wheel and avoid skidding while braking. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3..._control_unit/
    Control unit abs/asc
    Hydro unit

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by Annddrriy View Post
    Do you know if that tool Snap-On brick 2500 model what cartridge is using for ABS ?
    As shogun pointed out, the ABS in your car does not communicate through the diagnostic system, so no scan tool will be able to talk to it. Fully manual diagnostics. Test the wheel speed sensors as outlined above; if this proves no culprit, replace the control module and the hydraulic unit, one at a time, with used parts of the exact same part number.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Automatic Stability Control unit built in the ABS module unit or ASC module that's another unit ?

- - - Updated - - -

1992-1994 models scanner works with ABS module ?