Thread: Z3 front brake frustration.

My Cars
    e28,e36/8,e38

Z3 front brake frustration.

My 2000 z3 2.8 coupe's brakes have always been very dissapointing. I have always hoped to upgrade them and get better results. I believe now that my past brake upgrade experience was likely unique. I have upgraded 2 different E28's front brakes to E32 750il V12 calipers and rotors. The results were nothing short of mind blowing. I very badly want this stopping power in my Z3. After much additional research I now realize the E46 330ci calipers I just picked up will not give the same results because of the affect to the bias and things not being that simple. Nearly every post has multiple people saying why do you want bigger? Why do you need it? I do x,y and z with Zero issues. The only conclusion I can draw from this, is that there is something wrong with my brake system. I have replaced rotors, pads, and fluid. I had it professionally flushed/bled and have never been satified with the results. I can lock them up if need be, but the pedal feel is too stiff and feels like it requires too much pressure(work). The booster holds vacuum well and the brakes go nearly dead when vacuum is depleted. I am not really tracking, only the occasional auto x. It's time again for brakes and I would prefer to do this once. From what has been shared with me and that I have read, a BBK will largely only mitigate fading with prolonged intense driving. My driving never exceeds an auto x. I have never stepped up to any 'race' pads. The current feel and stopping power is just poor and almost any other car is better. I do not care about filling out the empty wheels for looks, I prefer to stay at 17" wheels. I just want gobs of stopping power. My car does have some additional weight in the front so this is a safety issue for me as well. I do appreciate that tires are an important factor. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JC

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    How much additional weight, and from what? I wonder if you have a bad master cylinder or booster. Either can cause very hard pedal feel with not a lot of stopping power.

You also say you can lock them up. What tires are you running?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I'm wondering if some of the problem is simply glazed pads/rotors. Are you carefully(gently) bedding in the new parts?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e28,e36/8,e38
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    How much additional weight, and from what? I wonder if you have a bad master cylinder or booster. Either can cause very hard pedal feel with not a lot of stopping power.

You also say you can lock them up. What tires are you running?
    I am running probably about 70-80lbs? of ESS TS2 supercharger and heat exchanger. Brakes were the same before and after SC install. Tires are Goodyear Eagle 225/45/17. It has had Potenza RE-71R's on it and pedal feels the same. I will do some specific research on MC and booster diagnosing. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I'm wondering if some of the problem is simply glazed pads/rotors. Are you carefully(gently) bedding in the new parts?
    Yes, I went through the recommended bedding procedure. The brakes were about the same as before I did them.
    Last edited by e28Fan; 09-10-2019 at 12:20 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3

Z3 front brake frustration.

PF has a ‘Z’ rated pad (0558.11) that is a high performance street pad. They still require a bit of heat to work well, you didn’t mention where you live. Hot days in Seattle are perfect for these pads.…and you didn’t mention what pads you are running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 09-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.

My Cars
    e28,e36/8,e38
    Thanks for the recommendation. Honestly, I don't remember what I installed, certainly wasn't anything notable. At the time I was just looking to get it drivable asap. Now, I am at the point where I am trying to educate myself on doing it right with the least amount of wasted resources. Thanks again.
    JC

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Attached is a file on brake upgrades from various forums. Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    e28,e36/8,e38
    Thanks for the recommendation. Honestly don't remember what I installed, certainly wasn't anything notable. At the time I was just looking to get it drivable asap. Now, I am at the point where I am trying to educate myself on doing it right with the least amount of wasted resources. Thanks again.
    JC

My Cars
    e28,e36/8,e38
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    Attached is a file on brake upgrades from various forums. Hope it helps.
    This is great, thank you!