Thread: Tire Rub / Camber question

My Cars
    '83 320is (v8)

Tire Rub / Camber question

Do you guys have issues with your tires rubbing?

I've only got stock 13" sport wheels, and every time I hit a dip in the road my tire rubs on the fender. I have to look into what the suspension setup is on my car, but I know it has Bilstein sports, and some kind of lowering springs. (P/O told me H&R, but I don't know if this is true.)

Is this normal? I know some of you run bigger wheels, but I don't understand why it rubs so easily if I am only running 13" wheels. (Not sure of the tire size) Is my car too low?

Also, it's normal for there to be a little bit of negative camber in the rear, correct? One of my coworkers commented on it, but I always thought it was somewhat normal on lowered e21s. It's not excessive, it's just a little bit.

You can look at my sig, but does it look like the rear is lower than the front?

My Cars
    e61
    You have a tall tire on there. Give us the tire size you are running.

My Cars
    E21 JPS 323i
    Not enough travel in the shocks when lowered, probably find they have very little compression ability and they are almost (or have reached) the point where they will bottom out. Its a fairly common thing to encounter when people fit lowered springs and dont have shocks revaled to suit.

Rear camber is a problem on lowered E21's, depending on how far you lower the car it can be very excessive, enough to cause very early tyre wear (and toast a set of tyres).

- BMW E21 John Player Special Build, click to follow -

My Cars
    '97 Byzanz M3/4/5
    My '81 320i was lowered and had 13X6.5 ET18 Malhe / BBS wheels with 205/60/13's and I never had any issues with rubbing.

Are you sure its the tire rubbing and not something else in the suspension making noise under compression?
    1997 Byzanz M3 4 door 5 speed. (1 of 37 factory 5 speeds, 1 of 88 total produced)
    TMS power pulleys, V1, E21 trans mounts w/AKG cups, AKG derlin shift tower bushing, 80/88* fan switch & fan delete, Borla XS dual in/out muffler, 4300K HID's in Euro housings, PowerFlex RTAB's, 17x8 ET15 Racing Dynamics RGR wheels, GC coil-overs 375F/475R, 25.5mm M-tech front swaybar, tint

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Mine rubbed just a bit when I had it on the second to last perch on the Sports. This is also with H&R's. I raised it to the second to top perch and there was just a slight rubbing when under hard acceleration from a stop. I grinded off about 3/16" from the inner fender lip and that solved the problem.

The E21 when lowered in the rear takes on excessive camber, even with a camber kit, there is still quite of bit of negative camber hanging around. Its an odd situation, because you can have the exact set-up as someone else and one can have rubbing issues and the other does not.

I was running Alpina's 205/50/15 et12

My Cars
    1977 320i & 1986 528e
    I have 205/60/13's and under hard cornering, mine rubs a tad. I actually think its the mud flaps but I never see any rub marks on them. Mine is stock shocks/springs.
    THE E21 MOVEMENT IS ON - You can either go with me or against me, the choice is yours!
    ~ JT ~
    1977 BMW 320i - 1986 BMW 528e
    http://jtresto.com/e21info.htm

My Cars
    '83 320is (v8)
    Yeah, I have 205/60/13's all around. I don't think it's rubbing in the wheel well, but I think the outer lip of the fender rubs ever so slightly if I hit a big dip, or take a very hard corner, like you mentioned CJ.

I guess I'm not too concerned about the negative camber, I don't think it's very excessive, I just wasn't sure. I've seen Shadyduk1979, and I know he probably has more negative camber in his rear than I do.

I guess it's nothing to really worry about as I will probably be upgrading to 15's and that may solve the problem, (or make it worse) and I'll just deal with it then.

My Cars
    79 elky, 320 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin E21 View Post
    Yeah, I have 205/60/13's all around. I don't think it's rubbing in the wheel well, but I think the outer lip of the fender rubs ever so slightly if I hit a big dip, or take a very hard corner, like you mentioned CJ.

I guess I'm not too concerned about the negative camber, I don't think it's very excessive, I just wasn't sure. I've seen Shadyduk1979, and I know he probably has more negative camber in his rear than I do.

I guess it's nothing to really worry about as I will probably be upgrading to 15's and that may solve the problem, (or make it worse) and I'll just deal with it then.
    The good news is you have a friend who owns a fender roller *Cough* Brent*Cough*
    Mine are rolled
    Originally Posted by jrhaileYou know, it's time like this that brings a tear to my eye about this community: We all tuned in to support a fellow BMW driver elude the po-po. In the end, there is only one winner here: bimmerfourms.com and its members. I hope one day when I'm doing 150mph down the freeway that you will all support me, as did this fellow enthusiast. Drive on bimmerheads, drive on
    The first freedom is not speech, or guns or religion. It's choice.
    320I building enough boost to run air tools..on CIS, waiting for my rear diff to

My Cars
    1977 320i & 1986 528e
    Mmmmm roll........
    THE E21 MOVEMENT IS ON - You can either go with me or against me, the choice is yours!
    ~ JT ~
    1977 BMW 320i - 1986 BMW 528e
    http://jtresto.com/e21info.htm

My Cars
    09 335
    Your car doesnt look any lower than mine, mine has 0 rub problems. I know im not running 205s tho, it might be the width of the tire i dunno. Im not sure what im running and im too lazy to go outside and look

oh and negative camber will help your tires from rubbing against the fender as it brings the top in

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo
    I have lots of negative camber as well.
    All of my fender and quarters where rolled.
    E21s do have this issue.

Kevin, my suggestion would be to either buy kmacs from Bav auto,
    or better take the rear subframe from the wrecked 320i and get that one slotted.

I have a Dinan one that you can take a look at and see what they did and replicate it with yours for cheap......
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    E21 JPS 323i
    205/50's here and lowered what looks like more than 2 inches, rubs on the guard on large bumps. I find its not so much large bumps, but a bump followed by another bump which causes it. The suspension loads up and is compressed then the spring oscilates and gets hit with the next bump which ends up rubbing on the guard. Switched to 195/55's now and its pretty sweet, top of the tyre is pulled in a little too which helps with the problem, im going to have the lips rolled when i get the new bonnet painted.

Miles of rear camber here too, my boss just shakes his head every time he see's the car in the morning. Ive got a subframe here to be welded up so that will fix the problem

- BMW E21 John Player Special Build, click to follow -

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I'm running E-30 Bourbet rims(with spacers) with 205/50 tires and a lowered suspention. mine rub in the front on lock turns although it rubs less as the tires wear, and the back only rub like stated above when I hit a pothole folowed by another pothole.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    If some of you are having problems with 205/50's or 60's rubbing, then can I assume that 215/50-13's would have a really bad rubbing problem? I'm just curious, since you're on the subject.