Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about used E38? Here's what to look for.

My Cars
    yep, i got cars! :)
    ok....drove another 740iL....SPORT! today..........this one ran pretty smoothly.....i suspect that there was something wrong with the first sport that i tested....here they are....

the rough riding (lowered?) sport....

http://************/2s3mof

the fine ridin sport, but lots of pixels out on the display.....

http://************/2phtc9

ok....now the question....whats the difference in the "sport" iL and the "normal"? this first fella at legacy told me that the wheels are bigger, the suspension is different (lowered), different programming in the engine/tranny......body styling.....however the sport i drove today does have the bigger/blingy wheels, but is not lower.....so....whats the REAL deal? any linkys to the differences?....also.....whats up the the vibrating seats!?!?! gezzusss!!! guess in need to know whats standard vs optional on these babys......as the first one had rain sensing glass....but no vibrators?

thanks!

g4s
    Last edited by Grd4Spd; 09-19-2007 at 10:15 PM. Reason: more info....

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740

My Cars
    04 STi,00 740i sport, 91 legend
    got mine the other week. one thing i didn't know was the radio shuts off every few minutes if the nav is borked (only turned the radio on for like a minute when test drove). i knew the nav needed to be replaced when i bought it though. considering it's the only real thing wrong with the car, and i got it for 13k i'm not heart broken. perfect excuse for the mk4 . i love the car so far though. handles amazing for such a heavy/big car. gonna pick up an acs shift knob (that fits the 00 sport right?..stock one is cracked) and a redline boot w/ ///m stitching for it . other than that and the nav (possibly 16:9 screen) she'll stay stock. maybe acs lip,01 tails and pedals. it's in amazing shape, like new in and out. even under the hood is clean

My Cars
    2001 740 i
    what is m p g for 2001 bmw 740 i. i am doing 22 m p g. is this ok , danny patel e-mail stlsf@charter.net thank you.

My Cars
    E34 M5, '80 911 SC
    I would highly suggest you edit your post to remove your email. There are automated programs that browse forums like this searching for email addresses in order to add them to spam lists. You can disguise you email by typing it like this.. "john_smith at aol dot com"

n

My Cars
    740I 2000
    As far as the aftermarket warranty question, I purchased on and ended up canceling it. The cost was close to $3,300 with $100 deductable per incidnet.

I had several small ticket repair items and didn't make sense to keep it. Not to mention the hassle of dealing with them.

I would have kept it it I didn't feel very comfortable with the engine and trany. I serviced the trany and the engine is in an excellent condition.

My Cars
    2006 LR3 / 2008 GTI
    can anyone tell me about this one? the price looks great, but im wondering why.

I cant post links because of my post rate but ill tell you about it and upload the pic it came with.

134k on the dash, its a '98 740I for $11K CAD, note its the same in USD as well because of high value ( letting you know, so you american members can asses the price for me too)

question, whats a DSC? i know it was added into the 98 model, but unsure of it is. I emailed the guy if he had any problems from the checklist on the first page, waiting for a response. what do you guys think?

hxxp://img142.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=28176_6157566.jpg.fpx_122_1024lo.jpg
    change XX to tt
    "
    DESCRIPTION
    v8,4.4L,Black on black leather, fully loaded,CD changer, DSC, mint cond. Alloy Wheels, ready to go. 134,000 km. $10,900"

My Cars
    89 735 lexusls 72 chev

check the gas and fill'er up with oil

ive got a 89 735 with 235,000 on it and its one of the best most reliable cars ive owned. true about the good gas but i get 23,24 mpg on the road atabout 65 mph.ive restored many gm muscle cars over the years but the bmrmrw has turned out to be a relatively basic car to work on although parts can be a bit much compared to the domestics.i own a used lexus ls,a very nice car also but i catch myself always wondering'why doesnt my lexus do this or that?as well as my older bmw. if i could afford it i'd buy 7 or 8 so i could drive a different one each day. each year near where i live a dealer has a cancer charity event where you can drive any! model!745,z3,4 etc. for about 20 miles[with no co-pilot excepy the ol'lady]

My Cars
    Mercedes SL65
    thanks.
    this add was helpful because im gonna be buying a 96' 740il in a few weeks.
    THIS IS SHEER DRIVING PLEASURE...

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3 4DR / 2003 GTI 20th ANN
    thanks

My Cars
    00 BMW 740i, 89 Porsche 911 C4
    I came across a 740iL Sport in Anthracite Gray at the dealership I work at. I fell in love with the car. It has 61k miles and is in excellent shape. My friend has a 2000 740i so he gave me the details on owning the car. He has no problems with the car in winter with snow tires. He lives on a hill and the Bimmer makes it up with no problems whereas rwd trucks cant hack it. I currently have a 2000 Audi S4, but it seems to get me in trouble with johnny law. I think I can cruise the 740 at more appropriate speeds. This is my 1st time back on the forums here after I wrecked an S52 ///M Coupe. I have experience with BMW, but not a full size luxury car. I'm a good driver so I don't mind loosing AWD. I guess I have one question. What is the availability of aftermarket parts (eg. If I wanted to replace the stereo)?

My Cars
    90 €850i /04 545/08 335
    Looking to buy a 740il 1999 2000 or 2001. I currently have a 525 daily drive and a G spec 850i . I found a couple on evil bay that were private owners and dealers range in price 13k to 18k seems this model did not hold on to its 70k price tag. aside from all the great info I just read any year a particular best year to buy.
    Thanks

My Cars
    2006 E46 M3 SMG ZCP
    Anyone know of engine oil consumption/burning out of the newer 2000+ 740iL's? The doctor I work with possibly has some leaky valve stem oil seals, only puffs smoke on start up but not after driving it for some time.
    He has spent over $200 in oil every month for the past couple of months.
    Unfortunantly he does not have time to take it to the dealership, so I noted that I had heard of some type of recalls on the V8's in that generation, but did not know the specifics.

Again, any engine oil problems with the 2000+ 740iL E38/39?

-Jonathan

My Cars
    '00 750IL 03/99,98 Honda F4
    Quote Originally Posted by Simann View Post
    Anyone know of engine oil consumption/burning out of the newer 2000+ 740iL's? The doctor I work with possibly has some leaky valve stem oil seals, only puffs smoke on start up but not after driving it for some time.
    He has spent over $200 in oil every month for the past couple of months.
    Unfortunantly he does not have time to take it to the dealership, so I noted that I had heard of some type of recalls on the V8's in that generation, but did not know the specifics.

Again, any engine oil problems with the 2000+ 740iL E38/39?

-Jonathan
    OSV. oil separator valve.

My Cars
    1998 e38 740iL
    What kind of warranty is suggested? The basic powertrain or w/e that covers engine, transmission, etc... or something better? Where is a good place to get the warranty?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528iA

looking to buy 740i; unsure

Hi,

I'm looking into buying this 740i I found in a classified ad, has 164k miles but said 70k on a new engine. Could the 'new engine' be the replacement from the old Nikasil block? Just curious, I haven't seen the car but this check list is much appreciated for when I see it today. If the car had any major problems, would it be safe to assume that it wouldn't have lasted up to this 164k mile mark without the catalytic converter, power steering, etc from the list being replaced?

Thank you!
    -JD

My Cars
    2000 740il BMW
    Loosing pixel display in temperature, mileage display.
    Catalytic converters failing
    Power steering hoses leaking
    >Cup holders failing
    Nikasil engine block problems in 95 V8(haven't had to replace, though)
    Oil pump bolts backing out
    >Radiator failures. Plastic neck breaking, mostly pre 98
    A/C stepper motors failing.
    Original Water pumps with plastic impellers failing
    >Coolant thermostat failing
    Poor quality jack (never had to check)
    Electric cooling fan failing in year 98 and newer
    >Sunroof wind noise
    CD player skipping in models older than 97
    Older A/C temperature displays failing
    Phones not being upgradeable without major cost or modifications
    A/C drain lines need re-routing to stop gurgling sound

--
    only 4 and i thought i had it badd

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport

Ready to pull the trigger on a '01 740iLS

Hi all,

I found this forum/thread and have really benefited from the info here. I'm ready to pick up a Silver, 2001 740iLS with 94K. I have the service history through 63K from the dealership where the original owner took it, but my local BMW dealer will confirm it was serviced there, but won't turn loose of the service records. I've negotiated the price down to $10,500. Is the market for these cars that soft or should I be concerned that the dealer is that desperate to move this thing? (He's had it for 3 months at least that I know of.)

Beyond what I know in black & white, the car looks like it's been taken care of. I'll still have it inspected by a qualified service provider before I stroke the check.
    What I do know is it's had the navigation replaced 3 years ago, has new brakes and rotors, had all of its scheduled maintenance up to 60k, had the cooling fan replaced in a recall, rear sunshade replaced, and a few other interior odds & ends fixed.

It's production date is July, 2001, so I figure it must be one of the last E38 iLS's built.

Any further suggestions?

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Hi I found this thead to be very helpful
    .. As you guys know I am trying to purchase a 2000 740IL with 49,000 for $11,900 from a local Dealer
    this is what comes with the car
    Features: A/C: Front, A/C: Rear, Cruise Control, Navigation System, Power Locks, Power Steering, Remote Keyless Entry, Bucket Seats, Leather Interior, Memory Seats, Power Seats, Airbag: Driver, Airbag: Passenger, Airbag: Side, Alarm, Anti-Lock Brakes, Cassette Radio, CD Changer, Premium Sound, Power Windows, Rear Window Defroster, Tinted Glass, Alloy Wheels, Sunroof/Moonroof
    Selling Points: Tilting, telecoping, and heated steering wheel, Xenon headlamps, premium sound system, interior walnut trim. Desirable Cosmos black exterior, and black leather interior
    Condition: Only 49,000 miles. Original owner, garage kept, in excellent condition.

so is this a good deal I am also wondering if I need to get a warranted of some kind if yes what kind?.
    Thanks again Franco
    Last edited by franco90; 10-14-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Has any one ever hear of ZURICH vehicle services that's the after market guaranteed I got stuck with . Is this guaranteed any good please let me know ASAP....
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    Soon 740iL
    Ok, I did alot of research on the e38 .. I see posts here from 2003 ... so ..
    overall, is the e38 worth it ? I keep hearing from people : Don`t buy the e38, go with the e36 ... i absolutely love the e38, it`s on my mind day and night... should i listen to those opinions or should i go buy an e38 ?

My Cars
    BMW 740IL, Land Rove
    Quote Originally Posted by djresvon View Post
    Ok, I did alot of research on the e38 .. I see posts here from 2003 ... so ..
    overall, is the e38 worth it ? I keep hearing from people : Don`t buy the e38, go with the e36 ... i absolutely love the e38, it`s on my mind day and night... should i listen to those opinions or should i go buy an e38 ?
    e36's are to common, be different get an e38

My Cars
    Soon 740iL
    yes it`s less common than e36`s.. but i`m asking about problems with the car. i`m 17, i make 1k/ mo. i`ll probably make more in may when i get the car but i wanna do all the research possible from now so when the time comes, i`ll be ready ... is the 740iL truly a good way to spend money on repairs ? or is it what it looks like, a tank with the BMW sign on it ?

My Cars
    Soon 740iL
    please ?

My Cars
    2000 740i & Tacoma
    Contrary to popular opinion I took the plunge and purchased a 2000 740i...Wish me luck

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast