Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about used E38? Here's what to look for.

My Cars
    none

Someone told me to watch for Transmission failure on all 740i at around 70k or more..

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Is this true? Also, would someone be kind enough to tell me what BMW does to their cars(engineering wise) to make it "drive" the way it does? That driving experience is unparalleled...</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My Cars
    90 BMW 750il, 69 Benz 300 SeL 6.3, 64 Caddy conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by theod
    Is this true?
    In reference to the tranny question, that depends on how it was driven and whether it was mistreated. They are susceptible to specific problems, for example, getting fried because of extended revving in "park" during an emissions test. But if not abused, they can last 200K miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by theod
    Also, would someone be kind enough to tell me what BMW does to their cars(engineering wise) to make it "drive" the way it does? That driving experience is unparalleled...
    That's a bit like asking "How does spacefilght occur?" Simple to ask, but it's so big that it's hard to answer. All in all it comes down to the design objectives of the company that makes the cars.

Caddilac, for example, generally designs cars to _isolate_ their customers from the road. So the ride gets so soft that it doesn't handle very well. BMW designs cars to _connect_ its customers to the road. So BMW's show up with fully independent suspension, disk brakes, fairly even weight distribution (light motor up front, battery in the back seat or trunk, etc.), and their ride doesn't mask speedbumps like a caddy, but you can actually get some satasfaction in a turn.

Caddy, by the way, when it decided to make a sport/touring car, made the STS, which is a very respectable car... powerful, good reflexes, without sacrificing too much ride quality. Since caddy, the same folks responsible for the "tunaboat handling experience" can put out a good handler like the STS, I'd say it's about making handling a priority during design. Caddy does this some times. BMW does this almost all the time.
    '90 750iL
    '69 M-B 300SeL 6.3
    '64 Cadillac Convert.
    '91 356 Speedster kit

My Cars
    BMW, MB
    It's spelled, "Cadillac"

My Cars
    90 BMW 750il, 69 Benz 300 SeL 6.3, 64 Caddy conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by die Überholspur
    It's spelled, "Cadillac"
    Typo. My fingers get thick when moving too fast!
    '90 750iL
    '69 M-B 300SeL 6.3
    '64 Cadillac Convert.
    '91 356 Speedster kit

My Cars
    yep, i got cars! :)
    hello gents!

been a while since we chatted.....last time was back in 2003 (or was it 02?) when i purchased the 528....now im looking for a 1999-2002 740iL....and im looking for some fine advise and leadership which i found here on this forum previously....so now im back!

ive read about the nikasil issue....i really dont need to worry about that as the model year im looking for they sorted out the issue, correct?

BUT!!!! in the year/model BWM that im looking for is there any need for concern on any matter? again im looking for a 1999-2002, black on tan, silver, or grey/gunmetal color......that said what sort of wonderful advise might the mighty have for me on the E38 forum???!!

regards,
    terry

My Cars
    E30 E38 E39 R56
    Quote Originally Posted by Grd4Spd
    now im looking for a 1999-2002 740iL

ive read about the nikasil issue....i really dont need to worry about that as the model year im looking for they sorted out the issue, correct?
    E38s only went until 2001. A 2002 is the new body style.

Correct, no nikasil issues in the E38 except the 1995 V8.

1999 was a short production year so there are not many out there.

Most desirable? Consider a 2001 740i Sport if you don't need the iL length. Those are the "best of the best" according to many. Also, a late 01 (i or iL, Sport or non-Sport) with the widescreen NAV.

Otherwise, the 99-00-01s are similar when it comes to mechanical issues.
    M.Wong
    E38 2000 740iL Orient Blue
    E91 2012 328xiT Alpine White

Passed on to a new families:
    E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
    E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
    R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Wong
    E38s only went until 2001. A 2002 is the new body style.

thanks for writing back Mr. Wong!

thats good news....i like the "older" body style in the E38 moreso than the later 2002 and up....so i will concentrate on the 1999-2001 yrs.

1999 was a short production year so there are not many out there. [

anything special about the 1999 that make then worth having?

Most desirable? Consider a 2001 740i Sport if you don't need the iL length.

yeah, im REALLY like the length in the iL versions....so im definately shooting for that and not a sport package....got a sports car, need a luxury sedan now.

Those are the "best of the best" according to many. Also, a late 01 (i or iL, Sport or non-Sport) with the widescreen NAV.
    i dont really have a hardon for NAV systems.....but are the "older" BMW nav systems good? are they accurite? can i update them (software/downloads)? or is it more of a novelity?

Otherwise, the 99-00-01s are similar when it comes to mechanical issues.

are there any concerns that i should be aware of in those years other than whats discussed/posted here?

thanks again for the reply/feedback!

terry

My Cars
    just a followup...i was over on the "Beefup" thread....Green Ox has a fine looking 97 iL.....i really like the simple clean line of the car....did they change (suttle or major) body/mechanical in the 97-2001 years (the years im looking at)....for color i REALLY like the black/tan grey or silver colors.....any thoughts? did green ox lower his 97?

regards,
    terry

My Cars
    any thoughts on this 2001 iL?

http://************/qnuxj

regards,
    terry

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    Like that ad says, high miles but great price. It also appears to be a "sport" which adds to the value but they fail to mention.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E39 R56
    No reason to get a 1999. They are rare because the cut off date for model years changed for the 2000s. They are not better. 2000s are the exact same car with more features standard instead of optional.

00 and 01 had NAV standard. (99 it was an option.) The wide screen is much nicer for appearance, but the NAV systems are all accurate. Older NAV drives are slower than the newest ones.

The 98 and older vs the 99 and newer have a few visual changes that are obvious once you know them... the older has rectangular headlights vs the newer with scooped headlights. (Front fenders are different, so it's not an easy upgrade to make.) Older has side skirts with round buttons on them for the jack, newer has a cleaner side skirt and a different jack. Tail lights are different as well... older are a flat reflector finish, newer are crystal-like. And the 2001s have clear turn signals all around and body color painted lower skirts all around instead of black.

Look on e-bay for some pictures and compare a 98 or older vs a 99 or 00. Then compare an 00 vs an 01.
    M.Wong

E30 1987 325i Royal Blue

My Cars
    MWong,

thanks for VERY informative reply/.EDU.....good stuff there!

now i just have to focus on the year!

regards,
    terry

My Cars
    1988 735 i, 1998 740i, 1997 Audi A6 quatro

M.Wong Please Help

I was driving my 1998 E38 this morning and without warning my fan exploded! The Fan Blades are gone, the hood is trashed. Any idea what happened. It is a great car well taken care of, new belts,hoses,center control arm, and tie rods just last month.

Thanks MDREaltor
    MDREAltOR
    Hanover, MD

My Cars
    E30 E38 E39 R56
    Yes, unfortunately I have heard of that... not too common, but it happens.

You can read these:

Exploding fan

or

Exploding fan

or

Exploding fan
    M.Wong

E30 1987 325i Royal Blue

My Cars
    1988 735 i, 1998 740i, 1997 Audi A6 quatro
    My exploding fan was due to the gear freezing. I am very lucky my insurance company (GEICO) is paying for all but 50.00 of the 2,400 needed for repairs and a new hood, she'll be good as new and back on the road my tomorrow. I have an awsome mechanic who takes really good care of me.
    MDREAltOR
    Hanover, MD

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrealtor
    I have an awsome mechanic who takes really good care of me.

bah-jezzzuz!! exploding fans on a $70K car?!?! say it aint so!!!

wonder what BMW thinks of this?.....you think they are as kind/understanding as your mechanic?!?!?

bummer of a story.....great outcome though!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740IL, 1997 Tahoe, 2006 Corvette Vert

Loosing Mileage Display Pixels

My 98 740IL has been loosing the mileage display over time and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what I can expect to have it fixed?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL, 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring
    I feel its a great vehicle. My 7 is a weekend driver only and i love it that way. My wife and I are the only ones to get in the vehicle. I haven't had to do anything to it yet but I maintain it like it my life depended on it. My son loves it and believes that it will be his one day. NOT. Anyway everyone I know that has one loves it and feels that is a great family vehicle. You have bimmer history with your 5 series. It only gets better with the 7series if you take care of it.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E39 R56
    Quote Originally Posted by Mork Bradys
    My 98 740IL has been loosing the mileage display over time and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what I can expect to have it fixed?
    Look up "pixel" in the search and you should find some answers...
    M.Wong

E30 1987 325i Royal Blue

My Cars
    1993 320i bmw

My Cars
    '12 335i MSport E92 Blk

'00 740i Sport

I moved this. Sorry.
    Last edited by Joe F; 08-12-2006 at 08:18 PM.

My Cars
    1996 750IL/ 2002 1150RT
    Good day members! I am very soon to take ownership of a 1996 750IL and would appreciate your feedback and pointers. I have been reading the posts for several days and found some very valuable threads...especially this one. Please fill me in on any thing I might have missed in my inspection/research and also add any tips that you have found in your ownership.I belong to a similar community for BMW motorcycles and have found it invaluable...nothing like networking!
    The car is black on black/ '96 750IL/ 117000 miles w 63500 on a new BMW installed powerplant/ pixels,radio, cat and cupholders done at same time. The brakes/rotors and tires were replaced 13000 miles ago.Her body is in good condition as is the interior although I am excited to perform the detail procedure outlined in Dave's parked thread from the detail section of the forum. I have known the previous owner (1 out of a total of 3) and also know the shop that has performed the major work as well as the dealer doing the maintenance.
    I have been very impressed with the 12 cylinders performance but especially the mileage I have gotten over my weekend test drive.
    Please give me your opinions and your advice on ownership,driving subtleties and maintenance expectations..if different from above. Thanks

My Cars
    '98 740i and '06 MBZ CDI (Diesel)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmalspeis View Post
    I just bought a 1997 e38. Aside from the pixel problems at temperature and the busted cupholder, I thought I was getting a terrific car - until I found this bulliten board. Now I'm scared I just bought a money-pit.

I've been a Honda guy all my life. My two accords have given me nothing but 20 years of reliable, trouble-free, maintenance-free transportation. I (incorrectly?) assumed BMWs were just as well engineered and built as my Hondas. That said, I bought the car with 120K mi. assuming I'd get 50K more out of it without much trouble.

Now, according to the threads on this board, I'm facing about 20+ repairs, each likely to cost me $500. Service record? What's a service record? The only thing we Honda drivers every worried about was chainging the timing belt.

Yes, the car looks great, but I'm not keen on getting to know my mechanic on a first-name basis. I was looking forward to joining the local car club, but I'll pass if this is going to cost me $5000/year in maintenance.

Somebody please tell me I'm overreacting.

Chuck M.
    Jacksonville, FL
    So your first BMW? Okay after 20 years of Honda's you're in a whole new ballgame. My ex drove Hondas for 20 years and she never changed the oil or rotated the tires. She only bought gas because she found they would not run without it. (Now you understand the divorce.) Anyway her cars all did the same thing. No problems what-so-ever. But they were boring as hell to drive on a good day. Daughter turned 16 and dad got her a 3 series convertible. Figured the maintenance would run about the cost of the lease on a Honda. I was right. 3 year old car with low miles, automatic, all the creature comforts, and great shape. The thing averages about 200/mo in maintenance. I paid cash for it, so there's no payment. Yes, my kid could have had a Honda for less money and no problems. But she wouldn't have learned to change the oil, do the radiator flushes, and replace filters (air, fuel, oil, etc.) with never chipping a perfectly manicured nail. The BMW dealer in Scottsdale where she lives has dad's Amex on file and they know to do what it takes to keep it running and safe. My daughter takes better care of this car than some people take of their kids! I'm very proud of her for making sure her car is cared for to a fair-thee-well. Though she might get her mom's "automotive neglect" dna and she didn't! She has had her BIMMER for almost four years now and she's put a total of 20k miles on it. The car is cleaner now than the day I bought it for her. And yes, we did get an extended Warranty for the "major" items that can and do cost a fortune in a BMW.

I have a 98 740i and it had all the same problems yours does when I bought it. I got it CHEAP from a friend who's a wholesaler and it was worth dumping four grand into it to "clean it up". Now days nothing much goes wrong with it. These engines will run to 250k and beyond if cared for. Change the fluid in the Transmission once every 80k miles (yes, it's a fortune to do so!) and don't tear into the dash until something like the blower motor or the final stage resistor goes. When one goes, replace both of them! The blower motor is a $340 part. The cost of labor to get to it is about $500 average. The Final Stage Resistor is another 70 dollars with the same labor required to get to it. Do both if you have to do either one. BTW: when the dash is open is the time to get those displays with dying pixels replaced. They're about 300 to 400 each. Do the worst one first. They will be brighter by far than the original ones - so be warned. Power steering hoses go quickly. Use only BMW brand PS fluid. Makes the hoses last longer. I use an Independant Service shop in Long Island City (called the Little Garage if you happen to be local) and the place is great. The prices are about 20 to 30 percent less for a given part or service than my dealers in the tri state area are. The owner of the place happens to drive a '99 740i and knows and loves these cars. He warns me that a car of this vintage and milage is going to cost me about 3k to 4k per year net average over a decade to keep it running and in pristine shape. He went two years without spending a penny on his 99 and then had to replace both the transmission and the Water Pump in the same two week period at a cost of about $6500. So he's right on schedule with his "3 to 3.5k/year" maintenance rule of thumb. Seems to hold for my car, too. Still it's vastly cheaper at that rate than a lease payment would be on a new one. Or (gulp) laying out nearly a hundred grand for a brand new one if I paid cash for it! For that kind of money I should be buying gold or silver or anything other than a car, IMHO.

Nope - it's not as trouble free as your Honda's were. It's not as forgiving of neglect either. But in the end, which would you really rather be driving? Yeah, I thought so! All the best. But be forwarned... once you've gotten used to these puppies you will never be able to go back to a lesser car comfortably. They do manange to get under your skin.

Mark in NYC
    Last edited by MarkinNYC; 09-05-2006 at 07:29 PM.

My Cars
    2010 750li & 2008 X5 4.8
    Good Info
    Current: 2010 750 LI Sport (Ruby Black) and 2008 X5 4.8L Sports Package (Metallic Black)
    Previous: 2001 740 IL M-Sport package (Schwarz Black),
    2001 X5 (Metallic Black) &
    1998 740 IL (Artic Silver).

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    Dear M.Wong, j/k, this is an open question to all members!

(Actually, I've read through this thread and your E38 posts have been quite informative. Seeing as you also have an E39, you seem like the perfect candidate to answer my specific question.)

What would the reasons be to choose a 740i over a 540i?

I am interested in getting another car for more comfort and practicality. My daily beater has been great at what it does and my project car keeps me busy all year round as well. What I'm looking to add to my driveway now is a large (i.e. practical) 4-door highway cruiser with occasional city driving.

I've been checking out the 740i at the same time as both E34 540/535s and E39 540s. The E39s are little pricier than the E38s but you get that excellent 6-speed manual tranny and the classic sports sedan lines. However, I'm willing to go with a slushbox for a 7-series. Speed & acceleration isn't high on my priority list.

* Is reliability between the 740i and E39 540i fairly similar? From reading this and other E38 forums, there seems to be lots of little problems that require not-so-little funds for repairs. Quite honestly, this scares me a bit.
    * As a DIYer, are repairs fairly straightforward on an E38 as it is on an E30 or even an E34?
    * Would you say size is the main benefit of the 7 over the 5? (Why did you guys choose a 7 instead of a 5-series?)
    * What are your thoughts on the E320 or E420 Benz (also up for consideration) vs. the 740i?

Thanks for all your feedback, guys!

Fred

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast