Thread: IMPORTANT: If you have had fluctuating temp gauge problems.

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325

Exclamation IMPORTANT: If you have had fluctuating temp gauge problems.

If you have had temperature gauge problems now or in the past, you will be interested in this. The problem most likely only manifests itself when the engine is running ( needle swings wildly back and forth). Most people attribute this to the nut on the back of the gauge cluster. While that is a possiblility it is not the only possible cause of the problem.

The real culprit is probably water in the engine wire harness. What happens is that the water accumulates in the connector underneat the intake manifold. The fuel injectors and temp sensors run through this connector. I strongly recommend that everyone who has had this problem open this connector and examine it for water and corrosion. My car is sitting dead because of this. The two main wires for the fuel injector sets have both coroded completely through. (red/white, brown/white) Wires five and six.

The water may not enter through the connector itself. However higher up the harness (not visible unless removed from mounts) is a section of the cover that will let water in. If your connector is dry (verify under the rubber end caps too) then I highly suggest that you apply some silicone rtv to section of cable harness cover mentioned above.

I will have a writeup on this on my howto site shortly.

BTW this is on the M20 engines.
    Last edited by UD///M; 04-06-2004 at 03:58 PM.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    Just an update for all. I fixed that connector this past weekend. I opted not to use a BMW (AMP) part. I used a weatherpak connector made by Delphi Packard. These are excellent connectors for keeping moisture out from all sides. Each wire is sealed individually.

In addition, I separated the injector wires from the temperature wires. Each subsystem now has its own connector. The temperature gauge is now rock steady and the engine is running fine.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

My Cars
    86 325es 89 325i
    If any one needs a another wiring harness I have a new and and a used one available for "e" motor.

My Cars
    No Car
    im very interested, my car is sitting in drive way b/c its acting funny recently, just started doing it this past week. having trouble starting