Thread: E36 Glass Rear Window Convert Top Avail?

Question E36 Glass Rear Window Convert Top Avail?

HEY,

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A REPLACEMENT GLASS REAR WINDOW INSTEAD OF THE PLASTIC ONE FOR E36 CONVERTIBLE TOP?

LEMME KNOW THANKS.

i dunno about just replacing the plastic with glass, but there is a hardtop that can be placed on it and that has a glass rear window.

Cool I own a hardtop

Hey man,

I own a hrad top for my convertible. I had heard there was a place in California that made a replacement glass window for the E36 convertibles.

That is what I am trying to track down. Thanks. Lemme know if you hear anything.

i dont think thats possible to have a glass window
    in the convertible top as if you notice when your
    top goes down the roof folds exactly in the middle
    of the plastic window... now i wouldnt that break
    the glass everytime u put the top down?

Not break it

Hey,

I think what they use to make the replacement window in glass is 2 pieces of glass, joined by a clear flexible plastic hinge at the center seam where the plastic top would fold. That's how you would avoid breaking the glass when you put it down each time. Makes sense? Have a good one. Where in Germany are you? I'm in Santa Monica California. Beautiful here today.

im near stuttgart (where the make porsche and mercedes). its a killer day here today too...

Hey DJ,

How do you like your 330d? Read about them here a little bit. BMW does not sell that car here. What's the top speed for the 330d and how's the fuel mileage?

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    I've been looking for the same thing with no luck. I noticed the newer ones with the glass window have a smaller window and a larger cloth surround, so I figured that when it fold, the cloth shifts and allows the glass window to move back so it doesn't break. The only reason the plastic one folds in the middle is because it is so large and has no other choice.

I finally gave up and ordered a regular one from emiata.com. He custom makes them and they are supposed to be made of a much thicker plastic so it should last longer than the original one.

I'm not looking forward to installing it as it looks like it will be a real pain, but I don't want the inside getting soaked every time it rains either!