Thread: E36 M3 Fuel Pump Banjo Clamp DIY

My Cars
    1995 M3

E36 M3 Fuel Pump Banjo Clamp DIY

Ok so after my ordeal with the banjo clamp letting loose on my car, I found out that it is a fairly common occurance on the 95 M3's. Here is my DIY fix:

Step 1: Remove the back seat. Pull up where my hand is at on both sides of the rear seat.

Step 2: Unhook carpet loops from seat hook. Just pull the carpet up and over the hook.

Step 3: Pull sound deadening "flaps" over seat hook.

Here is the passenger and driver side "flaps" up:

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Same thing happened to my mothers 95 Avus.

Just after I filled the tank, leaving the gas station, 80% of the tank got pumped all over the ground.. grrr.

Easy fix.. just replace the shitty clamp.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Step 4: Remove 4 phillips head machine screws on each side.

Step 5: Inspect both sides for signs of leaking gas. I had a helper turn the key to ACC setting to get the pumps going. Here is a pic of the passenger side:

Now it turns out the banjo clamp had allowed the hose to slip past the 2nd "barb" on the "nipple" coming out of the fuel pump. I replaced this clamp with two standard hose clamps from pepboys.

I also went to the driver's side and installed a hose clamp next to the banjo clamp that seems to be holding (but for how long, who knows).

Now I know that BMW switched the configuration on the E36 M3's a few times so just to note: My car has a 10/95 build date, the passenger side pump has 1 hose coming off of it and the other nipple is not used, the passenger side has 1 hose coming off of it and the other "nipple" is plugged.