Thread: Clicking noise from offside rear wheel??

My Cars
    Z3, MEGANE

Clicking noise from offside rear wheel??

Hi guys,

I know it's difficult to diagnose a sound but what do you think could possibly cause a clicking noise emanating from my offside rear wheel area? Over the last week I have been hearing the clicking noise when i'm going over speed bumps or (even slightly) uneven road surfaces.

I haven't noticed any changes in the ride/suspension when driving and the wheel arch is at the correct level - i've also jacked the car up and removed the wheel and the springs and shocks appear to be fine.

Thanks for any ideas,

PK

My Cars
    2001 M5 2001 MZ3 2010 M5
    is it a rattle or a pop sound?
    2010 E60 M5
    2001 M Roadster
    2001 E39 M5

My Cars
    Z3, MEGANE
    Hi Ferris,

It's more of a rattle sound than a pop.

Kind regards,

PK

My Cars
    2001 M5 2001 MZ3 2010 M5
    Pull up the handbrake 1 or 2 clicks, not enough that you'll engage the brake, then drive around and see if it went away. If it did you need to adjust the tension on the handbrake .
    2010 E60 M5
    2001 M Roadster
    2001 E39 M5

My Cars
    FrankBuilt 95 TRM3
    i have the exact same issue and it is coming from the passenger side rear wheel. i pulled the shock and swaybar link and could hear the noise but didn't realy have the time to diagnose.

My Cars
    a few
    Mine just started clicking from the passenger side rear. pulled the susp out and checked but still clicking in accel and turning left only, weird. Sub is fine and everything else but it is driving me insane!!!!! Im going to try the e-brake ferris and see if that works.

Anyone else with this issue?

My Cars
    E36/8,323,jeep,dodge
    PARKING BRAKE!!!!!

That same crap happened to me. My car was gently driven with 52,000 on it when purchased this summer.

Every little bump that damn lower parking brake spreader turns into a loud speaker.

I was pissed when I found the problem, It seemed way to loud to be a little parking brake problem.

Heath
    2002 Ti Silver, S54 M-Coupe(SOLD)
    1999 M-Coupe Alpine White/Evergreen 1of1(SOLD)
    2000 323IT 5-sp wagon, Alpine White
    2004 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (AEV HIGHLINE)(SOLD)

My Cars
    09' X5, '00 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieh View Post
    PARKING BRAKE!!!!!

That same crap happened to me. My car was gently driven with 52,000 on it when purchased this summer.

Every little bump that damn lower parking brake spreader turns into a loud speaker.

I was pissed when I found the problem, It seemed way to loud to be a little parking brake problem.

Heath
    +1 would hear it really loudly with the windows down in my parking garage. Took the tires off, banged with rubber mallet on some things and no noise. (BECAUSE I HAVE THE BRAKE ENGAGED!)

I start to drive away with my brake slightly engaged and didn't hear the noise.

I drove with it one click up until I tightened it.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I know this is an old thread, but I just picked up a 98 M roadster and sure enough that is the sound I here in the back.. Pull up the brake and it goes away.. has been driving me nuts… Can anyone tell me how to adjust it?
    Thanks from the Newbie!!

My Cars
    E36/8,323,jeep,dodge
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    Pull up the handbrake 1 or 2 clicks, not enough that you'll engage the brake, then drive around and see if it went away. If it did you need to adjust the tension on the handbrake .

I have owned 3 coupes. All 3 have required this adjustment, 99 with 48k,
    99 with 54k, 02 with 54k.

I have adjusted the cable tension by removing the pleather boot surrounding the handbrake. loosen the 9mm locknut & adjust.

Took me 4-5 hrs to chase down the stupid rattle/click noise.

NOTE: adjusting the rear parking brake shoes will NOT fix the problem.

Only adjusting the cable tension will make this particular noise go bye bye!

Like it was mentioned earlier if the click/rattle goes away by pulling the park brake handle up a few clicks while hitting small bumps.

consider yourself lucky, that its a 10 minute fix.

Heath

Quote Originally Posted by duss View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I just picked up a 98 M roadster and sure enough that is the sound I here in the back.. Pull up the brake and it goes away.. has been driving me nuts… Can anyone tell me how to adjust it?
    Thanks from the Newbie!!

1) pull the boot & trim up & away from the park brake handle(pops up).
    2) look at the base of the park brake handle & you will see the 2 cable with a exposed threaded shaft.
    3) I think its a 9mm & 10 or 11mm nuts.
    4) I move the lever up & down a few times to see how much play is in the cable...easy to see when you release the lever.
    5) adjust the cables evenly & put the boot back on.
    6) make sure that you dont go to tight & have the park brake shoes rub.

Enjoy,

Heath
    Last edited by wheelieh; 07-05-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2002 Ti Silver, S54 M-Coupe(SOLD)
    1999 M-Coupe Alpine White/Evergreen 1of1(SOLD)
    2000 323IT 5-sp wagon, Alpine White
    2004 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (AEV HIGHLINE)(SOLD)

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well I consider your 4-5 hrs very well spent!!! At least for me and a few others I am sure!!
    That is definitely it.. I pulled the boot and if I jiggle the pay in the cabals I replicate the noise in the back exactly..
    But of course (only me) guess what the one size box wrench I don’t have is!!! But I will tomorrow!!
    This site makes having an older classic BMW fun!!

Thanks for the help!!

My Cars
    1998 2.8 Z3

Clicking sound

Above posts describe what I have but when I pull the handbrake up while the noise is there on a LH bend, it makes the noise worse and not better?
    Could it still be the handbrake cable/shoes?
    Had this noise for months now & driving me nuts as it passed MOT and several mechanics have listened to it but with no idea as to what is causing it.
    Gareth

My Cars
    00 Dinan M Cpe, 03 530i
    E brake shoe is likely toast.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well it is an easy adjustment, so I would play with them and see what you get.. However that was not my only rattle. I had one that I could not find for the life of me even after I fixed the brake. It was very similar but less consistent then the brakes. This one was in the front right.. I pulled apart my dash, checked every bolt under the hood.. Had friends ride in my car upside down to listen for it. Could not find it for the life of me. Drove me crazy for a year! Wound up being the strut mount. I had looked at it 100 times, but you could not see the issue because it was on the under side, the top side was tight as a drum.. The strut was actually worn around the mount. That was the only other one I had that was elusive. My BMW mechanic friend said he has seen it before, both front and back. I would not think it would get worse if you pulled up the brake though.

My Cars
    2003 BMW E46 M3
    Hey there, i know this is an old thread but i just purchased 2003 e46 m3 and now on day 4 a hear this this clicking sound on passenger rear wheel- that increases and decreases with speed. smh. Your layout of how to fix the problem, can this be done from sitting inside the car??? or do i need to go under the car?

My Cars
    2004.5 e46 m3

I also have this problem

Quote Originally Posted by biznessman79 View Post
    Hey there, i know this is an old thread but i just purchased 2003 e46 m3 and now on day 4 a hear this this clicking sound on passenger rear wheel- that increases and decreases with speed. smh. Your layout of how to fix the problem, can this be done from sitting inside the car??? or do i need to go under the car?
    I’m sorry to kick up a old post however I have tried the handbrake fix and it didn’t change anything.
    So the best way to describe as it happen is that I will be driving along and I can hear a ticking sound from the rear of the car. Almost like a stick hitting a wheel spoke but there is nothing in contact with wheel. I have been under the car and can’t see any worn bushes or any cracking around the mounts of the subframe. It drives me insane and I can’t find it anywhere

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoM3Carlos View Post
    I’m sorry to kick up a old post however I have tried the handbrake fix and it didn’t change anything.
    So the best way to describe as it happen is that I will be driving along and I can hear a ticking sound from the rear of the car. Almost like a stick hitting a wheel spoke but there is nothing in contact with wheel. I have been under the car and can’t see any worn bushes or any cracking around the mounts of the subframe. It drives me insane and I can’t find it anywhere
    Ticking sound like a rock or screw stuck in your tire somewhere? Does ticking frequency change base on speed?

My Cars
    '99 Z3 Coupe, 2016 R3
    What it turned out to be in my coupe was the locating tabs on the inside rear brake pads had failed causing the rattle, being cheap, I just put some anti rattle goo on the inside pads as they have 90% life left. The right way to fix it would be replace the pads.