Thread: Dealer Provided False Info: Need Serious Help

My Cars
    1999 M3 Dinan S3

Angry Dealer Provided False Info: Need Serious Help

Alright heres the deal, there was a spot right above my drivers door (the crack between the roof and door seal) where the paint was starting to peal. So i took it to my body shop and had them check it out. Turns out they find spots of over-spray on the moulding over the entire roof. Upon further inspection they realize the hood has also been repainted, and spots on the roof where body work was done is still wavy. All this not realy visible to my untrained eye, but they caught it right away. Anyways I bought the car 2 months ago from the dealership. It is a '98 323is with 16,500 miles on it at the time. I went through all the usual questions, and made sure to repeatedly ask to make sure it had never been wrecked. They assured me numerous times it had not been wrecked. After now finding this info out I'm really pissed. Now what can I expect them to do. I know there are disclosure laws ect. But has anyone encountered problems similar to this, where the dealer did not disclose a car had been wrecked. What is the best way to approach this situation.
    Thanks for all the help
    Jeff

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Hopefully, you did get the condition report in writing from the dealer and the salesman is still employed there.

There are several things that can be done:

1. Speak to the manager of the dealership. Then the GM and President.
    2. If nothing happens, and it is a BMW dealership, contact BMW NA and a Regional Manager should contact you regarding your complaint.
    3. If nothing is done at this juncture and if you belong to the BMW CCA, you can contact the Ombudsman's office.
    4. You could always contact your local news station regarding the problem. Many stations have a consumer hotline that tries to resolve these types of matters. If not, a news story will be done about the dealership, resulting in bad press. Most dealerships will go to great lengths to avoid such press.

Always remember, Caveat Emptor! Let the buyer beware.

Retired Original
    BIMMERFORUMS
    Administrator
    My Cars
    BMW & Lexus
    It's my understanding that the dealer does not have to disclose that the car has been damaged unless the damage exceeds a certain percentage of the car's value.

Most dealers will not specifically tell a perspective buyer that a car has definitely not been damaged because they have no way of being absolutely sure. Most dealers will tell the perspective buyer that they are unaware of any damage and maybe mention something about the car doesn't appear to have been damaged, etc. This is more of a selling technique however. It is really up to the buyer to have the car checked out to his or her satisfaction...not the seller's obligation.

Unless you (the buyer) have documentation from the dealer that this car has not been damaged, you really don't have much, if any, evidence or strength to your case in my opinion. For a representative of the dealership to have told you verbally the car has not been damaged would have to be proven which is all but impossible without witnesses. And those witnesses, if there are any, would best be non-partial to the outcome of the case.

If you have bought a number of cars from this same dealership and could therefore put pressure on them...from a sales standpoint, you may have a chance to work something out. Otherwise, unfortunately and for all practical purposes, it would be best to drop the idea of pursuing the matter further and learn from it. It's buyer beware...

All the above is IMHO.....

Bob ///M3