Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Z4 vs Z3?

My Cars
    1996 Z3 1.9
    I can't imagine a Z4 doing anything other than outperforming the Z3...
    When it comes to looks, however....

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachFreak View Post
    I can't imagine a Z4 doing anything other than outperforming the Z3...
    When it comes to looks, however....
    Most Z3s got LSDs, most Z4s did not. During hard driving this gives a pretty distinct advantage to the Z3.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    yep, and the Z3 is lighter than the Z4, so performance wise..

My Cars
    1996 Z3 1.9
    so it's better looking, can track better, and it's cheaper!? Whodathunkit!?

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah, that folding hardtop weighs alot, almost forgot

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachFreak View Post
    so it's better looking, can track better, and it's cheaper!? Whodathunkit!?

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah, that folding hardtop weighs alot, almost forgot
    Neither a Z3 nor the Z4 being discussed here has a folding hardtop.

Also most Z4s are lighter than Z3s (although by a very small amount).

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    If the Z3 was too small for you a Z4 may be a better fit. I dont think the interior space is actually any bigger by any really measurable standards, but it always felt roomier to me. The Z3 sort of hugs me, the Z4 I'm more sitting "in" if that makes sense.
    I'm at the beginning of my search for a Z3, and have wondered about the Z4. My only input is that I have driven a '99 M Roadster and felt that seat was made just for me. I loved it, and can honestly say it's the most comfortable seat I have experienced. I didn't have the top up, so I can't comment on head room, but at 5'9, don't think I'd have a problem.

This week, I hope to drive a Z4 roadster (3.0) of a co-worker. I personally think the modern interior of the Z4 is cheaper looking in the surface of the plastics used. So for me, the Z3 is more visually engaging from a classic point of view. For me, the final decision may be rather difficult, since I'll have to balance joy of driving against visually stimulating.
    Last edited by mspa; 02-16-2015 at 09:49 PM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    I personally think the modern interior of the Z4 is cheaper looking in the surface of the plastics used.
    You sound like a z3 owner already!

I was once a fan of the z3, but now I can't conceive of ever owning one. They just look dated to my eyes in comparison. While I can agree that the z3 design does appeal to more people and is more reminiscent of the "classic" sports car look, I feel that the z4's modern look still holds up just as well today (and probably for years to come) as it did when it first came out.
    Last edited by montaillou; 02-17-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    91 850i 6MT, 88 M6
    My daughter wanted a roadster, so we test drove a 350z, z3 and z4. The 350z like most Jap cars doesn't have a soul. The German cars do. While the Z4 may be better on paper and faster, etc. She overwhelmingly chose the Z3 because of the driving experience. I wholeheartedly agreed. So drive them both before making the call. Some things are better represented on the Internet and paper than they are in person.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by raineycd View Post
    My daughter wanted a roadster, so we test drove a 350z, z3 and z4. The 350z like most Jap cars doesn't have a soul. The German cars do. While the Z4 may be better on paper and faster, etc. She overwhelmingly chose the Z3 because of the driving experience. I wholeheartedly agreed. So drive them both before making the call. Some things are better represented on the Internet and paper than they are in person.
    7 years since the last post! Yep- you have to drive the cars to know. I would have suggested a Miata as well. That car has soul in spades.

My Cars
    91 850i 6MT, 88 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    7 years since the last post! Yep- you have to drive the cars to know. I would have suggested a Miata as well. That car has soul in spades.
    I don't look at the dates. Miata prices are dumb right now, so wasn't an option.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I have both. A 2007 Z4 auto and a 1999 Z3M stick.
    They are much different cars. Somedays I prefer the ease of the Z4. Somedays I like to blast music and run through the gears of my Z3M. There is no wrong answer. Just depends on your preferences. Or buy both!

My Cars
    Not enough room here!
    I currently have a Z3 2.5i in near-perfect condition. I admit - as someone who was single for a long time - that I don't mind noisy, harder-riding cars. I put in my earplugs and off I go. I'm not conversing with anyone or listening to music, so.....Then I met my current finance. She is not a "car person", but doesn't mind road trips, and doesn't get car sick. We drove the Tail of the Dragon at 8/10 and she thought it was great.

That said......the trip to Hilton Head in the Preservation Class winning 1985 535i was a trial to her.

So, I'm about to buy a Z4, because they are much more acoustically isolated going down the road. 800HZ diff whine at highway speeds is a problem on the non-M Z3 models, but the Z4s have isolated diffs that aren't heard in the cabin. I did drive a Z4M, and while it was fun, when you look at running costs, there's no way to justify the M. I can put 4 nice Zimmermann rotors and TRW Ultra pads on a Z4 for what ONE rotor costs on the M. I'm nearly 60 and do all my own work on my cars.....and less is better these days.

zed in gville.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123