Thread: Fuel Pump Removal

Fuel Pump Removal

How easy is it to change the fuel pump? Seems like a straight forward job.

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    It is easy to r&r. You will either need a very large channel lock pliers or use the hammer and screw driver method to remove the rings which hold the assy in the tank. Once you remove the back seat and the access pannel, you will know what I mean.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

So its a pretty straight forward process. Would replacing the whole unit be advisable or can I just replace the pump part?

My Cars
    Make sure you do it when you are pretty low on gas, a lot of the times if you have a good amount of gas left in it and you open it up to get the fuel pump out, you car will smell like gas for a while.

My Cars
    1994 325ic
    For anyone thinking about doing this yourself its pretty straight-forward...just like UD///M says. This morning my car had a hiccup when I tried starting it and the car just wouldn't start. Checked all the fuses (hoping it was something simple) but after talking to a few mechanics I went out and picked up a new pump (about USD$ 125).

My car is a 94 325i cab but I'd guess most e36's are similar. Start by removing the rear seat (the part you sit on). Don't need to remove the backrest half. The sit should just pop off by giving it a firm tug upwards.

You will then see 2 round panels that are about 8 to 10" in diameter. They are held in place by 4 philips screws. The panel you want to remove is the passenger side one.

Once the panel is removed you will see the top of the pump assembly. Disconnect the 2 molex plugs. (I think one powers the pump and the other transmits the fuel level reading for the gauge). Then disconnect the 2 hoses by unscrewing the hoseclamps.

The top of the pump assembly is held down by a large black plastic ring which is screwed on fairly tight. You can remove it by using a large flathead pointed at one of the notches and tapping with a hammer.

Now the fun part. Make sure you have rags around and preferably a plastic tray or bucket to hold the old unit so you don't drip gas everywhere. You might have to do a little twisting and turning to get the unit out. At the top of the unit is a thick rubber gasket which the dealer recommended I replace. It's about $5 so probably better safe than sorry (even though mine was in pretty good shape).

Now its just a matter of putting in the new one by doing the reverse order of what you just did. Make sure that you put the new gasket onto the new fuel pump assembly before installing the unit.

Congrats, you just saved some coin. Now I can buy my Eibachs!!
    Last edited by RayMan; 04-08-2003 at 11:36 PM.

My Cars
    Yes
    Thanks for the writeup, RayMan. I need to replace my fuel sender units soon.

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    Rayman has it right I've taken my pumps out to repair the lines that were leaking gas on start up. Common problem e36 will push the hose's off the nipples of the fuel pump allowing gas to spray out. Also the line might be underpressure when you go to remove it. Might want to let it set for about 10mins before you undo them.

I also had all the windows and sun roof open with a fan blowing thru the car so my eyes would'n burn from the gas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Toyota Highlander (wife)
    2002 X5 4.6is - 225,000 (Dead)
    2001 Toyota 4runner
    1995 S/C M3 - 99,000 miles
    1995 525i - 244,000 miles (sold)
    1999 528iT Touring - 175,000 (sold)
    1992 318is - 325,000 miles (Sold)
    1986 325e - 180,000 (sold)

My Cars
    93 325is
    My fuel pump is making a whining sound, so I want to replace it. What needs to be replaced, just the assembly, or the whole pump? Thanks

Chris
    '93 Black 325is

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    um... wouldn't it be wise to disconnect the battery too?

My Cars
    1994 325ic
    Yup, Dan is absolutely right. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Also, you might want to release some pressure in the fuel line by opening the gas cap.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Originally posted by Austin
    Rayman has it right I've taken my pumps out to repair the lines that were leaking gas on start up. Common problem e36 will push the hose's off the nipples of the fuel pump allowing gas to spray out. Also the line might be underpressure when you go to remove it. Might want to let it set for about 10mins before you undo them.

I also had all the windows and sun roof open with a fan blowing thru the car so my eyes would'n burn from the gas.
    Do you have to disconnect your batt?
    I am guessing the pic is behind the passenger correct?
    I only have one hose going to it. the bottom one. Am I missing something. It looks like a hose is missing because there is an outing sticking out that could hold a hose.
    That is probably why I am having problems

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Pull the fuel pump relay.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Where is the fuel pump relay?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    In the Main distribution/ Fuse box.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1997 M3
    What am i suppose to do with it?

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Originally posted by bandit1911
    So its a pretty straight forward process. Would replacing the whole unit be advisable or can I just replace the pump part?
    Originally posted by S2kBuddy
    My fuel pump is making a whining sound, so I want to replace it. What needs to be replaced, just the assembly, or the whole pump? Thanks

Chris
    The pump comes as part of the assembly. I don't think you can buy just the pump. At least I couldn't find anyplace that sold just the pump.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S