Thread: CAVEAT EMPTOR BMW of Mount Laurel

My Cars
    2013 328i MSport, e Blue

CAVEAT EMPTOR BMW of Mount Laurel

My sister from Monmouth County was visiting me on Friday. When she tried to leave late in the afternoon in her 2018 BMW X3 she noticed a drivetrain malfunction warning on her dash. She then determined that she couldn’t place the car in gear. She called BMW Roadside Assistance and then my son took her to a rental car agency. I waited for the flatbed to arrive. A couple hours later the tow truck arrived and the operator was able to put the car in gear and drive it onto the flatbed. It then had a check engine light.

The next morning my sister called BMW of Mount Laurel and was told they hadn’t looked at it yet but would call her back. An hour later they called back and told her they couldn’t find the car. They added that their drop off lock box had been broken into and she should call Mount Laurel PD. She asked for a loaner and was told that they had no obligation to do anything and she was on her own. She called Mount Laurel PD and they took her report. As it turned out two cars had been stolen and one had been located in Paterson after being involved in a robbery. MLPD called back later and said they had combed the lot and her car was not there. She then called BMW Assist to see if they could locate the car. She was told she would have to pay $175 to activate the service. She escalated the call and was again told she would have to pay $175. She did so and MLPD requested that BMW Assist ping the car. The did and located the car in The Bronx, NY. MLPD requested NYPD to locate the car. They promptly found it in apparently good condition with the key fob in the back seat. It was then towed to an impound lot. It is current being transported to Circle BMW in Eatontown.

What’s wrong with this picture? BMW Road Assistance has the car towed to a BMW dealer where the car is subsequently stolen and the dealer indicates they have no obligation to assist the customer or assist in location or recovery of the car. The dealer could have provided a loaner; could have intervened with BMW Assist. Instead it chose to do nothing. Additionally their after hours drop off box was seemingly easily accessible. This is not a place I would ever do business with again. I had three cars serviced and maintained there over a period of ten or so years. I regret ever giving them a penny.
    Charlie Mink
    Medford, NJ
    Best,
    Charlie

2013 328i M Sport, Estoril Blue, 6 spd manual, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Driver Assist+ Pkg, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost/BimmerTech Amp
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Past cars:
    BMW 535i, BMW 525xi, Saab 9-5 (2), Saab 9-3 (2), Porsche 968 (2), Porsche 944S2, Porsche 944, Saab 900T, BMW 528i, Porsche 924, VW Karmann Ghia

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1990 325i
    That sounds like a truly shitty experience, sorry you guys had to go through that. Sounds like it's time to find a trusted independent to have your cars serviced at. 2018 is probably not under warranty any longer (unless she bought the most extended warranty available). I don't know anyone in south jersey, but if you were up north around me, I'd become your new service center, BMW is our most-serviced vehicle.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Not sure where you are located, however Ben might offer an independent

201-783-8600

Rogue Engineering
    19 Industrial Ave
    Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458