Thread: Anyone tried these??:Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition Coil Set

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s

Anyone tried these??:Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition Coil Set

Saw these in their catalogue and then on their website....i'm wondering if they keep your adaptations at 0 like the Ignition Solution plasma coils do and if they store the 3 fault codes internally that don't throw a check engine light like the Ingition solution coils do. I need new coils and these are pretty cheap and almost the same price as OEM so I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these, especially for OBD2 cars.

picture:
    http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?img...500/5002_6.jpg

i can't link bavauto's website directly since it'll just take you to the homepage, but just put in the model and year and then click on "under the hood" then "tune up & electical" then "ignition parts"

Estrl M3 Guest
    i like the picture

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    Dude, that looks like a normal set of coils to me. That are red.

To be honest, your engine doesn't need a better ignition system, it already sends out a spark that is far hotter than anything you could get from something like an MSD or any gay aftermarket thing like that. You're not having a problem burning fuel, hell even turbo cars running rediculous boost don't need that. It's frivilous.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

My Cars
    01 Z3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by triggrhaapi View Post
    Dude, that looks like a normal set of coils to me. That are red.

To be honest, your engine doesn't need a better ignition system, it already sends out a spark that is far hotter than anything you could get from something like an MSD or any gay aftermarket thing like that. You're not having a problem burning fuel, hell even turbo cars running rediculous boost don't need that. It's frivilous.
    agreed. stock coils are just fine

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    ^^^ i'm well aware of this, BUT, if no one has tried them and they claim to give a gain in some aspects of the car's performance, why not try them out?? maybe they're worthwhile

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan, manual
    I put these in my car about a year and a half ago. They were on sale, I believe at half price! The only difference I noticed was a smoother idle. I believe European Auto tested the original Plasma coils on an E46 328 I think and they said there was a dynoed 6hp gain. I can't notice any hp gain but as mentioned, the idle was smoother. I am happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by liilpa09 View Post
    ^^^ i'm well aware of this, BUT, if no one has tried them and they claim to give a gain in some aspects of the car's performance, why not try them out?? maybe they're worthwhile

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer1 View Post
    I put these in my car about a year and a half ago. They were on sale, I believe at half price! The only difference I noticed was a smoother idle. I believe European Auto tested the original Plasma coils on an E46 328 I think and they said there was a dynoed 6hp gain. I can't notice any hp gain but as mentioned, the idle was smoother. I am happy!
    I'm guessing you're referring to the magazine European Car that tested them? Also, just to double check, you have the Bavauto coils correct?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan, manual
    Yes, I believe that was the mag. And yes, I purchased the BAV knockoffs! The Plasma Soultions have stupid led's on them! In my opinion that would be totally stupid as the coils are covered on the M and you couldn't see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by liilpa09 View Post
    I'm guessing you're referring to the magazine European Car that tested them? Also, just to double check, you have the Bavauto coils correct?

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    a few of the fi guys really recommend them... they are on my list of mods to do.

-jon
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yes, I believe that was the mag. And yes, I purchased the BAV knockoffs! The Plasma Soultions have stupid led's on them! In my opinion that would be totally stupid as the coils are covered on the M and you couldn't see them.
    So it takes a couple of minutes to take the cover off. The led's
    aren't for show are they?
    I don't think they are...more for indication they are working properly without having to pull them.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan, manual
    Quite frankly, I thought they were for show! Bling Bling! Granted, the flashing led's would indicate that they were functioning properly, but to me, the added expense of the lights would not be worth it. I think the Plasma Solutions were something like $700 per set. The BAV knockoff's don't have the lights. If one were to fail, I think I might be able to detect it without the lights! But you do have a good point!

quote=Balthazarr;8868267]So it takes a couple of minutes to take the cover off. The led's
    I don't think they are...more for indication they are working properly without having to pull them.[/quote]

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    Quite frankly, I thought they were for show! Bling Bling! Granted, the flashing led's would indicate that they were functioning properly, but to me, the added expense of the lights would not be worth it. I think the Plasma Solutions were something like $700 per set. The BAV knockoff's don't have the lights. If one were to fail, I think I might be able to detect it without the lights! But you do have a good point!

quote=Balthazarr;8868267]So it takes a couple of minutes to take the cover off. The led's
    I don't think they are...more for indication they are working properly without having to pull them.
    [/QUOTE]
    So if the bavauto's coils are just knockoffs of the IS coils, wouldn't that mean that they will also throw the "soft" codes and keep the adaptation at 0?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan, manual
    Sorry, don't know anything about throwing a code! Nothing comes up for me when I check for codes with my Peak reset tool. Also, I am guessing that these are knockoffs of the IS coils. BAV also has their "own" performance software, but I believe that too is a ko of the Jim Conforti shark software.

So if the bavauto's coils are just knockoffs of the IS coils, wouldn't that mean that they will also throw the "soft" codes and keep the adaptation at 0?[/quote]

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    From what I understand, the Bavauto coils are just slightly hotter versions of stock coils -- like 10% more energy. They are not "plasma" coils. Your adaption still works. I noticed no differences after installing these coils. They are not likely the secret trick everyone is using to get another 25 rwhp. If you need new coils anyway, and think that red ones might make your car feel faster, then go for them. They almost certainly cannot hurt and if you are running over 10 psi of boost, they might actually help.

Philip Bradley

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    thanks for clearing that up...i was kind of guessing what you said, since on Bavauto's website it doesn't say anywhere that they are "plasma" coils.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    what is the difference between these and "plasma" coils? and are "plasma" coils worth that extra price difference?
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    1995 Cosmos M3
    I think the BavAuto coils come with the spark plug boots, so, from a $$$ stand point, there's no reason not to buy them. And you'll be set if/when you decide to go FI.

I've been tempted to try this, but my coils are fine. Coils aren't something you see going bad often, but you might be able to find a used set to play with. I remember a guy in the For Sale section trying to sell his Plasma Coil set a while ago.
    ex-1995 Cosmos M3 Coupé - deck spoiler / koni struts + shocks / x-brace / clears / unstaggered contours / yokohama avs es100 / alu thermostat housing / emp water pump / porterfield r4-s pads / gc rtab shims / bavauto ss brake lines / fdm / ie rsm plates / kicker sub + box + amp / sylvania silverstar lows / lamin-x / loc-tite'd opn / lots of refurbishing
    Retired - mason strut brace / jl stealthboxes / tms chip + hfm / s&b filter + outerwears / ecis heatshield / alpine 9835 + aux
    E36 ///M DIY & Tech - Door Handles / Underpanel / Coolant Hoses / Gear Ratios / 3.5" Intake / Lower Chain Tensioner / Threaded Starter / IAT Sensor / 24# Injectors