Thread: Car will not start after Battery replacement

My Cars
    bmw 740 il

Car will not start after Battery replacement

Need help!
    95 740il, my battery was dying out on me so I took it out and charged it. In the meanwhile I replaced it with another battery. The car was working fine. When I put the original battery back in, the car will not start. It seems like it has gone in some safety mode because when you put the keys in, everything seems to be working fine but it will not start the car...it appears as if the car is dead. I replaced the battery but same problem. Any ideas? I think it is in some safe mode because of the battery replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323ci 2001 BMW 740iL
    A. Does it try to spin over, like its out of fuel?
    B. Does it click when turning, Rapid or just once?
    C. Does absolutely nothing, powers on?

What were the symptoms why you were changing the battery?
    2000 323 Ci Titanium Silver/Gray Sport/Premium 5spd
    2001 740 iL Titanium Silver/Gray

My Cars
    bmw 740 il
    It powers on (lights etc) but when you turn the key nothing happens. I did not notice anything unusual when replacing the battery. After reading the manual, it seems like it might be in some safe mode that is preventing the car from starting. It powers on like you said but nothing happens when you turn the key to start the car

My Cars
    98 740i
    Ok, so this is my first post -

I am having a similar problem with my 98 740i. I replaced the battery this morning, keeping a jump box on the "jump" terminals when I removed the original. Everything was fine, I started the car numerous times during the day. Then, nothing - I turn the key on, all lights come on, but when I turn the switch to the "start" position, nothing happens. All the lights stay on, and do not dim.

Is this a safety mode problem? Or, is there a relay / switch that may be screwed up?

Any help would be appreciated -
    Last edited by h2oboy; 03-04-2007 at 09:41 PM.