Thread: Collector car insurance

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i

Question Collector car insurance

So as our e30's get older and older, in WA once they past 25 years old you can collector plates and with that collector car insurance, my question is could you even insure a bmw as a collector car?

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Once it meets the age requirements any car can be.

You won't be able to drive it anymore though, as usually a very low mileage per year stipulation is part of the insurance.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i
    yeah but thats only if they catch you.

My Cars
    1 dead e30 :(
    Shop around for collector car insurances. My brother got collector car insurance on his restored 81 cadillac, but this insurance company would insure you for what ever value you felt the car was worth (and would pay premiums accordingly). They also had a mileage per year agreement, which would also affect your premiums (more miles you agree on, the higher the premiums).

It was nice because it allows for a basically unlimited amount of insurance, however, it has to be in good enough condition, and VERY well documented for them to agree to take you on.

I'm not sure how much cheaper it would be (if at all) if you insured your car with DD-esque miles through this type of insurance, but look around.

e28 535is (SOLD) | e30 325i (DEAD) | e34 540i (SOLD) | e82 135i (SOLD)

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwsun View Post
    yeah but thats only if they catch you.
    Um... do you know how often mileage is reported to the DMV etc? Insurance companies have full access to such databases and use them regularly... same way they find out about tickets if you don't tell them.

They will "catch you" when you overcook a mad tite dorifto into a tree, several thousand miles over your limit.. and they laugh at your claim.

My Cars
    '89 325is
    my grandpa has it on his '87 porsche 928 s4. Haggerty insurance. All they needed for documentation was a picture of the car.
    89 325is Alpine White S50

My Cars
    87 325is
    From what I've been told, insurance for "collectable" antiques is all about replacement and repair of the car. Liability and medical coverage is limited or perhaps not a part of the policy at all. Use of the vehicle is severly limited and you can be reasonably certain that a claim against the policy would investigated unless it was clearly associated with allowable use, like an accident at or directly associated with a car show.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    1990 325i, '88 325is par
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwsun View Post
    So as our e30's get older and older, in WA once they past 25 years old you can collector plates and with that collector car insurance, my question is could you even insure a bmw as a collector car?
    Why? Your car is worth about $2500.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I think that is a bit generous don't you?

My Cars
    1990 325i, '88 325is par
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    I think that is a bit generous don't you?
    Haha, just a bit.

My Cars
    87 325es
    I've had a few muscle cars over the years 1972 and back with collector car ins. For example a 1970 AMC AMX valued at time $6500. insurance was around $45.00 every 6 months. And as Stück said usally you will have low milage for the insurance. But one company has unlimited mileage, i can't remember which one did though. I have State Farm Ins. and their mileage was 1000 miles a year. And as for collector tags it's usally 25 years or older. I seen a VW Rabbit with collector tags on it in Maryland. And the collector/antique tags there are restrictions on them as well.

My Cars
    330 Ci ZHP, 1997 M3/RIP
    I have collector car insurance through J.C. Taylor, one of the biggest collector car insurance brokers. I pay about $110/year for an agreed value of $10,000 on my '53 Willys. I am required to (1) keep it in a garage, (2) belong to a car club, (3) have a "real car" that I drive regularly and (4) I think that there is an annual maximum mileage, but I have never paid attention to that......

This is a "zero deductible" policy, meaning that there is no deductible - you get hit and the insurance covers it. I have made two claims on this policy over the years, once when an undocumented, uninsured, unlicensed doofus ran into the (aluminum) door of my 250SL in the parking lot at the Stanford Shopping Center - my carrier bought me a new door - and once when my car was the victim of a hit & run while parked in front of my house. On the 2nd claim, my carrier cut me a check for the estimate without any questions.

My Cars
    '89 325iX, '93 525iT
    I like the fact that Jordan (Stueck) is again making himself look like an ass in this thread. Jordan keep your fucking mouth shut when you don't know what you're talking about...

As Mr Motorist mentions, there are a few companies out there that will allow you to have collector insurance based on agreed value. While stipulations vary, it's very typical that you have to have a lockable enclosed parking area for the vehicle and have a daily driver. Some companies have a mileage limit, some do not. The "belong to a car club" stipulation of J.C. Taylor is a first.

The bigger point here if you read the fine print of the policies is that in most cases there are stipulations relating to the USE of the vehicle. z.B. it may only be used in events of public interest defined as car shows, parades, etc. This can become a LARGE problem if you end up putting your car off the road or into an object driving 100 mph on the back roads at night.

As per age of vehicle it varies by state and ins. co. Additionally, obtaining coverage can become an issue of the age of the driver/years driving as to if you can hold coverage or not.

The other side of things with classic insurance is that it typically is a "rider" style policy on top of your normal coverage. That is to say that it will cover YOUR vehicle only. If you mange to damage someone else's property or need medical attention, then that coverage must be provided by the insurance you carry on your normal vehicles.

The '89 iX in the picture and the '90 4 door iX are both classic plated and insured.

Get the facts straight BEFORE you stay something please...
    -M

The rest of the fleet: '06 WRX, '01 Forester EJ205
    '90 325iX 4dr, '89 325iX, '91 318i, '89 525i, '71 2002, '99 528iT

Amish Mob - Monitoring those who misinform, and those concerned with Misinformation since 1997

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mon View Post
    I like the fact that Jordan (Stueck) is again making himself look like an ass in this thread. Jordan keep your fucking mouth shut when you don't know what you're talking about...
    I'm sorry, point out where I was wrong.. oh wait you cannot be cause I wasn't. I know full well what I'm talking about.

I looked into collectors insurance for my e30, which is worth 10-15x as much as anyone else's yet to post in this thread. I decided against it....

G'damn n00b with 75 posts.. rofl...

My Cars
    '89 325iX, '93 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    I'm sorry, point out where I was wrong.. oh wait you cannot be cause I wasn't. I know full well what I'm talking about.

I looked into collectors insurance for my e30, which is worth 10-15x as much as anyone else's yet to post in this thread. I decided against it....

G'damn n00b with 75 posts.. rofl...
    Your e30 was worth what ever you finally managed to get for it, which probably wasn't much as long as it took you to sell it. Especially with the skank hanging off the front.

EDIT: I'd have 7k plus posts too if I talked nothing outta my ass all the time rather than contributing correct information in a factual way to explain and help further the community.

I'm no n00b as you well know. 10 years in E30s. Go hankering back to rv3lim where your loyal ball boys agree with everything you say.
    Last edited by X Mon; 02-28-2007 at 10:07 PM.
    -M

Amish Mob - Monitoring those who misinform, and those concerned with Misinformation since 1997

My Cars
    1981 VW Jetta, 1986 BMW 325

As Mr Motorist mentions, there are a few companies out there that will allow you to have collector insurance based on agreed value. While stipulations vary, it's very typical that you have to have a lockable enclosed parking area for the vehicle and have a daily driver. Some companies have a mileage limit, some do not. The "belong to a car club" stipulation of J.C. Taylor is a first.

The bigger point here if you read the fine print of the policies is that in most cases there are stipulations relating to the USE of the vehicle. z.B. it may only be used in events of public interest defined as car shows, parades, etc. This can become a LARGE problem if you end up putting your car off the road or into an object driving 100 mph on the back roads at night.

As per age of vehicle it varies by state and ins. co. Additionally, obtaining coverage can become an issue of the age of the driver/years driving as to if you can hold coverage or not.

The other side of things with classic insurance is that it typically is a "rider" style policy on top of your normal coverage. That is to say that it will cover YOUR vehicle only. If you mange to damage someone else's property or need medical attention, then that coverage must be provided by the insurance you carry on your normal vehicles.

The '89 iX in the picture and the '90 4 door iX are both classic plated and insured.

Get the facts straight BEFORE you stay something please...
    harsh words, dont ya think?

My Cars
    '89 325iX, '93 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto325 View Post
    harsh words, dont ya think?
    Not at all actually. Jordan has been around talking out his ass for years. He got run off Roadfly for it, and then had to start RV3lim where he managed to block anyone who didn't agree with what he had to say. Search the e30 boards over there if you haven't seen what I'm talking about.
    -M

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Maybe you should listen to him and consider what he has to say to yourself before you blurt out here and make yourself look silly. I dont get what the problem is, besides you being ignorant and obviously disliking Jordan.

*edit: how does he talk "out of his ass"

We really need to stop discussing this b/s in people's threads because they get locked and people get suspended. LET IT GO!!!
    -Chris

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    What do you mean I got run off Roadfly? I've posted on Roadfly less times then I have fingers on one hand. Roadfly is a shit stain on the universe that is the internet. The only times I do post there is in response to blatant inflammatory and libel remarks made against me. Roadfly lacks any sort of moderation and the children and outcasts from mainstream forums run rampant there. Everyone banned off normal forums sooner or later end up there.

You have 77 posts, and a quick check will reveal you are a jackass.. you also have wonderful iTrader feedback to compliment it. You are a documented scumbag. Maybe one are one of the people that belongs on Roadfly?

My Cars
    1981 VW Jetta, 1986 BMW 325
    Your e30 was worth what ever you finally managed to get for it, which probably wasn't much as long as it took you to sell it. Especially with the skank hanging off the front.

EDIT: I'd have 7k plus posts too if I talked nothing outta my ass all the time rather than contributing correct information in a factual way to explain and help further the community.

I'm no n00b as you well know. 10 years in E30s. Go hankering back to rv3lim where your loyal ball boys agree with everything you say.
    Ok, that is really uneeded. You cam into this thread and started talking shit. STFU.

My Cars
    '89 325iX, '93 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto325 View Post
    Ok, that is really uneeded. You cam into this thread and started talking shit. STFU.
    Actually, I came into this thread and corrected "misinformation" as people around here like to talk about.

You can gladly try to look at my iTrader, and you'll find that Justin is also talking out his ass. Look at how he linked the post on e30tech to that one. If you wanta run around as one of Jordan's blind disciples, be my guest, but realize that half of what he says is pure bullshit.
    -M

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Your e30 was worth what ever you finally managed to get for it, which probably wasn't much as long as it took you to sell it.
    $16,500, and about 2 weeks.

Especially with the skank hanging off the front.
    Awww poor widdle baby stiwl wiving in dweam world?

Obviously your reading skills are lacking.

I'm no n00b as you well know. 10 years in E30s.
    Yes, you are a n00b. and a scumbag. The staff here would be wise to remove your worthless ass before you rip anyone else off.

Go hankering back to rv3lim where your loyal ball boys agree with everything you say.
    I haven't posted on R3V, much less gone reading over there, in nearly 2 years...

My Cars
    '89 325ic

good luck getting anyone to agree with you...

...ass