Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Chain

My Cars
    740i, 328i, 528i, 67 Mustang

Timing Chain

I heard some knocking when trying to start my 95 740i, then nothing. After many days of tracking codes, spark and fuel system checks, I removed a valve cover and found the timing chain has jumped about three damper wheel sensing tooths. Is it possible to to relieve the tensioners and move it back without removing and tearing down the engine? If it must be removed, what do you think the cost would be to put it back in proper time,as that's just too much work for me. Also, I wonder what caused it to start with and would that just reoccure?

My Cars
    01 740iL w/Sport Package, 01 Lightning, 01 HD F150
    do a SEARCH for username plik as he just had an issue with his timing chain.

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by tgedeon1 View Post
    I heard some knocking when trying to start my 95 740i, then nothing. After many days of tracking codes, spark and fuel system checks, I removed a valve cover and found the timing chain has jumped about three damper wheel sensing tooths. Is it possible to to relieve the tensioners and move it back without removing and tearing down the engine? If it must be removed, what do you think the cost would be to put it back in proper time,as that's just too much work for me. Also, I wonder what caused it to start with and would that just reoccure?
    BMW made working on your timing chain very easy.

To start, you can remove the chain tensioner without even having to remove the upper chain cover.

Number 20 in this image.

But even if you had to remove the entire chain, you can do that without even having to break the head gasket seal. Just remove the covers, they have their own gaskets, separate from the head gasket.

However, tgedeon1, you should post some pictures of your engine with the valve cover off so we all can see what you're seeing.

If you do need to adjust your timing chain, then there are several special, BMW tools that you would need in order to do it (like tdc pin, camshaft jigs, etc.). To correctly adjust your timing chain you would need about $700 worth of new tools.

Now, if you really want to do that yourself, then I can send you the BMW mechanic's TIS software, it will give you the procedures for it.

But I say just tow your girl down to an indy and let him do it right.

Here is a list of BMW mechanics in Florida, http://www.bimmershops.com/bmwshops/florida/

And here are some misc images from my own engine.

Last edited by plik; 02-25-2007 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    740i, 328i, 528i, 67 Mustang
    The pics you showed were the 6 cyclinder ratther than the 8 clcylinder M^). but, I do agree that I want to find someone to do the work as I just don't have the time, even though I have the faciliites. I just don't know how difficult a jot it is. It this one where you just buy a used engine, or is it fixable at some high but reasonable rate. thanks for the references on people in my area. Tony

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by tgedeon1 View Post
    The pics you showed were the 6 cyclinder ratther than the 8 clcylinder M^).

Those images were taken of my 740i (which has a V8 M62 engine).

7-series don't come in 6 cylinder, only V8 or V12.

See -- 8 cylinders:

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740il
    I have a 97 740i and the timing chain needs replaced. Is this an easy job for me and how much accessories do I need to take off to get to the timing chain? Has any one ever just replaced the master link on the timing chain instead of the entire chain? Please advise!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Wow...what happened that would require you to have to replace your timing chain? Timing chain replacement is so rare, you have my curiousity raised to a new level!
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    95iL (MojaveBraun)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Wow...what happened that would require you to have to replace your timing chain? Timing chain replacement is so rare, you have my curiosity raised to a new level!
    Same here

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740il
    Well I did something really stupid while changing my valve cover gaskets! I forgot to disconnect the battery and the battery terminal made contact with the exposed upper timing chain and and two of the links burned and I don't feel safe without replacing the chain! It seems like a very expensive lesson!

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Ah ... a crash course in arc welding.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbeamer740ilga View Post
    Well...the battery terminal made contact with the exposed upper timing chain and two of the links burned and I don't feel safe without replacing the chain!
    Again...WOW!

Lesson learned indeed...thanks for sharing. But any DIY'er will...if haven't yet...do something that will cost them either more time or more money than they initially intended. If anything, revealing your mistake my save someone else from doing the same thing. By sharing the good & the bad...all of us DIY'ers learn...that's what makes a forum like this so beneficial...we all learn from each other's triumphs AND mistakes.

Hang in there.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    740i

Help! Help!

Hi,

I have the same problem with my 740 I 2000 I need to change the tensioner and adjust timing chain. Even if I have to buy all tools I still will be 5 times cheaper than a service from Utah…..PLEASE HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by plik View Post
    BMW made working on your timing chain very easy.

To start, you can remove the chain tensioner without even having to remove the upper chain cover.

Number 20 in this image.

But even if you had to remove the entire chain, you can do that without even having to break the head gasket seal. Just remove the covers, they have their own gaskets, separate from the head gasket.

However, tgedeon1, you should post some pictures of your engine with the valve cover off so we all can see what you're seeing.

If you do need to adjust your timing chain, then there are several special, BMW tools that you would need in order to do it (like tdc pin, camshaft jigs, etc.). To correctly adjust your timing chain you would need about $700 worth of new tools.

Now, if you really want to do that yourself, then I can send you the BMW mechanic's TIS software, it will give you the procedures for it.

But I say just tow your girl down to an indy and let him do it right.

Here is a list of BMW mechanics in Florida, http://www.bimmershops.com/bmwshops/florida/

And here are some misc images from my own engine.

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    Quote Originally Posted by plik View Post

Those images were taken of my 740i (which has a V8 M62 engine).

7-series don't come in 6 cylinder, only V8 or V12.

See -- 8 cylinders:

How dare you insult us 735i owners, hehe JK the 7 series does come with 6 cylinder engines, My 1989 735i has a 3.5 Inline 6. Just getting things straight here

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    740i
    hi couuld you give me BMW mechanic's TIS software please?i allredy order special tools i just don't know how to used!

My Cars
    Buying a 03 M5
    so tell me. is their ever a time when we need to adjust the timing chain and replace the tensioner. is this a maintenance issue.

My Cars
    2011 535i
    the pics look like an m60 not m62 - no vanos?

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by 740ibimmer View Post
    so tell me. is their ever a time when we need to adjust the timing chain and replace the tensioner. is this a maintenance issue.
    No, the timing chain wouldn't be a part of "tune-up" maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhankyco2 View Post
    the pics look like an m60 not m62 - no vanos?
    M62B44
    1996 - 1998
    Mechanical Throttle
    No VANOS

M62TUB44

1999-2001
    Electronic Throttle
    VANOS

My Cars
    bmw

Bmw mechanics software

please Plik, i am into some trouble setting up my timing chain.please can you send to me the mechanics software so i can ease timing settings?
    i will be very grateful if you do.My contact address is mclyjones@yahoo.com.
    thanks

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Talking

Wow, this post has been hijacked how many times?

Perhaps some sort of record...

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeBMW View Post
    How dare you insult us 735i owners, hehe JK the 7 series does come with 6 cylinder engines, My 1989 735i has a 3.5 Inline 6. Just getting things straight here
    I think it was unsaid that he was referring to the E38, not the E32. And the E38 was available with a 6-cylinder, but not in the US. I would say that Plik did not mention either of these points because a) the OP has an E38, and b) the OP, and Plik, live in the US.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Talking

Also not US-based, but there was a six-cylinder E38 (728i or 730i) I believe and an eight-cylinder smaller displacement E38 (735i) I believe...

I know I will be "corrected" if I'm off...

My Cars
    528i, 330i
    Hello, guys....
    I

Hello, Besty wishes to everyone .....
    I need some help with a 528i 1997,,, as I beleive that blow the timing belt if have one or a chain belt...need some help how to replace it.....
    Thank you very much for ur help.....
    Last edited by jayr101; 05-27-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 740il
    plik, can you send me the Tis software too? I got an outrageous quote from my indie, of many years and have decided to do it myself. Milton@miltonjohnson.com thanks in advance
    Milton 2000 BMW 740il

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by joh0665 View Post
    plik, can you send me the Tis software too? I got an outrageous quote from my indie, of many years and have decided to do it myself. Milton@miltonjohnson.com thanks in advance
    Plik isn't around much anymore...

Search the Diagnostic Software forum for TIS and you'll find ways to get it

My Cars
    BMW 740i

Bmw740i

Ok so here's what's going on I'm in the market for a car I have allways loved bmw's since I drove my cousins 2002ti I was pretty set at buying a 1998 740i i have been looking at I've read post on here that its not a good choice unless you have deep pockets should I rethink getting it I'm not a rich man what does anybody think of the 5 series

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast