Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mixture too lean, P0171, P0174, P0313

My Cars
    01 325i
    ok so dose anyone know what the f shaped conector that is plugged into the intake boot called and what it is used for the lower hose broke ....

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I have the part number and everything....cuz it broke on my car...and took me a month to figure it out....lol

There tis...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/13327503677/ES33009/

I actually had the part bag pic on my phone.....sick...lol
    Last edited by danewilson77; 06-15-2010 at 07:58 PM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    01 325i
    will it hurt my car if the lower line is disconnected? and what is it used for ?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    That line not being on there would introduce a small amount of unmetered air flow into your engine....and you may notice it running slightly rough. The fitting is for vacuum control....

Pc 6 on the below link. I know...it doesn't look like an "F"...but that is the damn part. That's why it took me sooo long to figure out the part number.

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...ts=13327503677

My Cars
    01 325i
    what if i plug the lines?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Yes...that is what I would recommend....or taping it up (ghetto...I know).....just until you can get to the dealer......it's like 2 bux or something.

I don't know the ramifications of plugging the hose end....

My Cars
    01 325i
    well this dumb mechanic put gum on it and stuck it together i wanted to punch him in the face and now im worried that the gum is gunna mess the lines up ...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Naaa.....It prolly didn't get sucked in. You didn't know Bubble Yum was an approved fastening device? Grape meets the BMW spec...and only grape.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I have the part number and everything....cuz it broke on my car...and took me a month to figure it out....lol

There tis...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/13327503677/ES33009/

I actually had the part bag pic on my phone.....sick...lol
    Thanks for the reference!

We have them available below:

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Please let me know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
    Joe

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    The smaller vacuum hose that comes off the middle of the F-connector goes down to the fuel filter; it's for the pressure regulator that's built into the fuel filter. I don't know what will happen if it's not connected, but you can probably get around without it for a little while.

Early E46s used a fuel filter without the pressure regulator, so they didn't have that small hose. In those cars, the F-connector was an L-connector (no middle hose), which is what's pictured on RealOEM, which is why that part is so frickin' hard to figure out.

My Cars
    2002 330cic
    How poorly can the torn boot make your car run? I ask this because the other day my 2002 330cic with 96K had a new whine when I went out to run some errands. On my way home on the interstate I had the top down and the radio very loud. I moved to the slow lane (I don't know why, I don't think I've ever been in that lane on that section of road) and the car started to shake. I thought it was the road or a flat.... I changed the lanes, still rough and thought I better pull in the upcoming rest area to check the tires at which point I noticed the SES light on. As I idled in to the rest area the car shut off on me. I tried to start it and got plumes of light colored smoke out of the back. Half hour later I tried again and limped the remaining 4 miles home. Since then we've spent a little time checking it out. Codes from a DIY reader show random misfires Fuel pressure is OK Suction from oil cap seems ok Started disconnecting the wires from each cylinder one at a time and it appears that all three in bank two are misfiring. I am hoping the combination of needing new spark plugs and possibly a tear in the boot could be my problem although my issues seem to be more severe than those listed here. Any ideas about all of bank 2 misfiring so suddenly. Thanks.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Like absolute dog sheet. Your engine would be getting un-metered air flow.....

My Cars
    2003 525i

Another example P0171, P0174, P0313...

I encountered the following codes on my 2003 BMW 525i:

P0170, P0171, P1083, P1085

I replaced the spark plugs, air filter, cleaned the MAF 2 times, and
    replaced both upstream O2 sensors.

Then the alternator blew and I replaced it. The mechanics thought my
    engine was going to break when they heard it idle.

After resetting the codes, they came back:

P0171, P0174, P1083, P1085 and P0313... interesting... the 313 was new...

I found this thread because of it. I will be checking my intake boot and/or replacing it tomorrow!

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Check das boots, and let us know if they are craked or torn...

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci/6Spd
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbwmguy View Post

I found this thread because of it. I will be checking my intake boot and/or replacing it tomorrow!

i bet 10 dollars that your intake boot replacement will do the trick...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Wondering with the P0171 and 174 codes, why he didn't try the boots first?

My Cars
    330ci
    i checked the "y" pipe and its fine , checked the disa fine aswell ... what else i can do .... im stuck . plus i couldnt take off that Y boot ,

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    If you can't get the "Y" joint loose....how did u inspect the boot?

Maybe you could try the smoke test diy....

My Cars
    330ci
    I could stick my finger there. How do I do smoke test diy

My Cars
    04 325i ZSP, Sequoia
    You could try putting a very bright light in the upper boot and turn off all the lights in yor garage, if you have one, and see if there is any light coming thru.

If I have a rattle at idle, is this my DISA and will this cause P0171 codes?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0

Frustrated Can't access the Lower Boot... Please help

Hey chief:

same problem as you: boot has big tear along that "elbow". Bought all 3 sections of the boots to replace but can't access the lower boot, there's a part in the way that I don't know what it is and didn't have the right key to remove its bolts... Do you know what I am talking about? How can I access the lower boot to unscrew the clamp, take i tout and replace with new boot? (e36; '01 Z3 3.0)

Please help;
    Thanks in advance!
    Z3EAGLE

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeejay View Post
    well guys.... I dnt wanna say that im an eminence. But i removed the upper and lower boots in less that half hour ....

I dnt know how u guys doin it but i only use a 1/4in drive ratchet an 6mm long socket..

And guess what??? I put em back the same way..hahahaaa...

The worst of all...

The code p0174 came back after 5miles of driving in addition with p0155... Dnt know what to do now!?!?!?!?

Forgot to day my lower boot it was cracked same as nathan'z, so i did a nice temporary fix with electrical tape ... Im researchin online for a good quality cheap set of boots to replace, but im gonna remove the whole intake assembly and replace all the stinkin' vaccum hoses that i can see and clean tha "maf" & "icv"..

Hopefully this fix the problem.. I keep u guys informed...

Thanx guys...

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3EAGLE View Post
    same problem as you: boot has big tear along that "elbow". Bought all 3 sections of the boots to replace but can't access the lower boot, there's a part in the way that I don't know what it is and didn't have the right key to remove its bolts... Do you know what I am talking about? How can I access the lower boot to unscrew the clamp, take i tout and replace with new boot? (e36; '01 Z3 3.0)
    Sounds like perhaps the DISA, which is a butterfly flap inserted into the intake manifold, with a rectangular control box mounted on the outside of the intake manifold. It's held in place by two Torx bolts - these are the six-point sockets.

If you don't have a set of Torx sockets or screwdrivers, you WILL need to get them if you expect to do any amount of work on this car. You can get an inexpensive set at an auto parts store or Harbor Freight.

If you have the replacement intake boot in hand, just use a hobby knife to cut the old boot off at the smaller hose, then remove the Idle Control Valve (the silver component to which the small hose is attached) so you can more easily access the hose clamp. Then reinstall the hose clamps with the screw head facing up so you can put it back together easily.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Just replaced my lower intake boot this weekend. And, like everyone has said, it was a B**** to take off the hose clamps - but i figured out that a 6mm wrench will do the trick too, if you don't have one of those snake-type screw drivers.

My Cars
    325ci
    nhbwmguy,
    Hhave you found out your problem yet? I a 03 325CI with 32xxx miles and have the same problem. Here are the following parts replaced:

maf
    intake boot (both)
    Valve cover gasket ( no leaks )
    Checked the DISA and it works and looks great
    cleaned intake mani
    Did the oil cap trick and it changed the idle jus a bit

One thing I notice that it shuts off sometimes when I come to a turn slowly and rough/stumbling idle.
    ANY HELP GUYS???

Quote Originally Posted by nhbwmguy View Post

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci

171 174 plus 9 others ouch

im a new proud (i think) owner of my first BMW 2001 330ci sweet black/ tan leather but ive got some issues to deal with car runs great while driving little rough idle at start up until it warms up i checked the codes with a reader and about freaked heres the list
    po313
    po300
    po301
    p1346
    po174
    p1349
    p1353
    p1351
    po128
    po171 i cant beleive that with all those codes the cars even running but it is do you think the boot replacement thing will take care of this or do i have more issues ,biggest thing im worried about is ive had the little gear light come on twice and reset it that scares me do you think a fluid change in the tranny will help that

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast