Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mixture too lean, P0171, P0174, P0313

My Cars
    nothing so far..
    ^^^
    ok so i just went out to check. thanks to nathancarter's pictures, I was able to find the location of this Y-pipe and the MAF.

it was way to warm and dark for me see what's going on. i figured.. what the heck.. i'll poke around and see if I can find this crack.

guess what!! my elbow has a huge crack in it.. chalk one up for bimmerforums.. you guys rock.

<runs back out with the duct-tape and a huge grin on his face>

edit: Anyone know what the part # is? can't seem to find it on realoem!!
    Last edited by vandersar; 09-05-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: part #

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=13&fg=15 (at least for my 330i)

Look under Fuel Preparation System -> Fuel Injection System.

My Cars
    M3's = Sold..for now
    haha. Just picked up a 323 the other day..was driving it today and noticed a whistle sound. Figured I would wait a little and see if it gets worse. Was just looking through the forums and see a thread about whistling. Ok I'll check it out. Look at your pics so run outside to check mine. Sure enough, same thing.
    Last edited by m.dystynkt.m; 09-12-2007 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    nothing so far..
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=13&fg=15 (at least for my 330i)

Look under Fuel Preparation System -> Fuel Injection System.
    I went to the dealer and picked up the part. Apparently the spec has since changed and now you have to buy an extra plastic ring. I have the part sitting at home. This weekend hopefully i'll get around to installing it.
    in the meantime, electrical tape has held up well

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    An extra plastic ring, huh? Is it part #13541438760, shown as Part #5 on the diagram, and fits between the two rubber boots? Mine was just fine, when I replaced the rubber boots.

Oh well, it should have been only a couple of extra bucks...

My Cars
    M3's = Sold..for now
    To the OP:

I need to change mine out too and got my part. Unfortunately I am in the middle of a move and have no tools with me. In the pic I put a rectangle around the problem area I am having. Whatever part that is that went there that you removed to get access down below, it needs one of those star screwdriver things to get the bolt off.
    Do you happen to know what size it was because I don't know if the guy at Home Depot will let me take a bunch out to my car to see what size it is.
    If my retarted pic is not good enough to try to show you what I'm talking about I'll go take a pic of the actual thing. Thanks

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    That's the throttle. ... It's Torx, either T25 or T30, maybe T35? don't remember off the top of my head.

Lots of things on this car are Torx screws, though, so it's worth a little investment to get a set of Torx sockets for your ratchet. I don't think it's worth it to get a set of Torx screwdrivers, though.. you might be able to get a set of Torx bits that will fit in a nut driver.. or a Torx screwdriver with lots of different interchangeable heads.

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    P.S. be exceedingly careful removing and installing those screws. If you drop one, it'll be very difficult to find and retrieve, and you'll be ... screwed, pardon the pun.

My Cars
    M3's = Sold..for now
    P.S. be exceedingly careful removing and installing those screws. If you drop one, it'll be very difficult to find and retrieve, and you'll be ... screwed, pardon the pun.

Thanks a lot for the info. And haha ya I know.,,the other day I dropped the screwdriver in luckily it fell all the way through..

My Cars
    M3's = Sold..for now
    Just got it done. The clamps on mine were also pointed upside down. Quite a bitch to get them loose.

md80boy is offline I got yo' tool right here
    My Cars
    '04 X3 and a tite-silver 330ci - and no more E39!
    Quote Originally Posted by pphil09 View Post
    So your saying the a vaccum leak is what makes that whistling noise? Mine does that too. How much should it cost to fix a leak at a BMW dealership, or is it easy enough to DIY. Im only 16, so I dont have much experience with DIY work.
    the real question is: at 16 why are YOU driving a BMW?

My Cars
    nothing so far..
    An extra plastic ring, huh? Is it part #13541438760, shown as Part #5 on the diagram, and fits between the two rubber boots? Mine was just fine, when I replaced the rubber boots.

Oh well, it should have been only a couple of extra bucks...
    yup.. you're absolutely right.. mine was perfectly fine.. so I wasted $3.. but it bothers me to think they do these things on purpose...

My Cars
    nothing so far..
    guess what.. 3 hours wasted trying to get the bottom screw off. I had EVERY tool imaginable. I think I ruined the screw head. ended up replacing the pipe without removing this. needless to say.. PITA

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by md80boy View Post
    the real question is: at 16 why are YOU driving a BMW?
    I dont know, it just kind of happened overnight

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Great thread. I'm curious, what did you guys finally do to get the "upside down" clamp screws loose?

My Cars
    M3's = Sold..for now
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdeck View Post
    Great thread. I'm curious, what did you guys finally do to get the "upside down" clamp screws loose?
    Got a really short screwdriver and just wiggled my hand down there and did very small turns at a time. Good luck

My Cars
    2002 325i
    OK, thanks. I guess I was hoping for a magic solution.

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    No, there was no magic solution. I tried lots of different tools. What worked best for me was a very long flat-head screwdriver, and lots of patience. I think I turned the screwdriver with my left hand, and held the tip in place with my right hand.

I don't understand why they were put on that way. There's an indentation next to the throttle body that you can use to easily access the hose clamps, IF they are installed with the screw heads facing up. Perhaps the factory installer didn't realize that the difference was significant.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    This is the second or third time that I've read about them being upside down. I was thinking that maybe the parts were assembled at the factory from underneath the car, but that doesn't seem to make much sense.

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Or, that the intake boots were installed before the engine was dropped into the body.

I'm interested to know whether ALL M54 engines have those hose clamps upside-down, or if it's just random, like the assembler didn't realize the direction was important.

My Cars
    Subaru WRX
    Mine were upside down when I checked them for leaks....major PITA.

My Cars
    88 M5, 528e, 87 535is
    I don't understand why they were put on that way.
    cars are assembled for least cost. so, it must take longer/cost more to put on facing up. cars are not assembled in any way to assist in disassembly.

also, brake cleaner will melt most plastics, rubber and paint, so don't go spraying it around your engine or you just might melt some connectors.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    OK, so we have a part that's assembled for the least cost. Upside down. They don't care about disassembly. I can't believe that BMW mechanics would not have complained about this, but then again, the dealerships make more money on labor than they do on parts, so maybe it does make sense. Go figger. It takes the mechanic two hours to get the hose clamp off, so why put it on so that it could be removed in two minutes? What a great business plan!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Yeah i recently had to change my intake boot as well and it looked just like yours. the part is only $14 but the dealership wanted $150 for labor...
    that boot is hard to take out but it was well worth saving the $150..

Btw. thats a pretty grimy tape job, i hope u replaced it.. i mean the dealership only charges 20 for it and you can get one online for like 14.

(oh my bad. i didnt read that u ordered replacements)

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Yeah, once I had the boot out, I wasn't gonna put it back in with that big gaping hole. Electrical tape or duct tape would have worked better, but the packing tape was the only thing I had handy. The tape worked fine for the week it took for my parts to arrive - no CEL, no codes, no whistling noise - but I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent repair

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast