Thread: Voice your opinion on the Automotive industry..and help me with an english paper

My Cars
    01 Jetta Wolfsburg edition + 6spd Acura TSX

Voice your opinion on the Automotive industry..and help me with an english paper

so i've got a free write paper for Honors English this weekend. i've decided to write about something i love for a change...cars. my general topic is this: (taken from my first page of the paper)

Now, I must first say that I am extremely biased towards the European manufacturers. However, that being said, I am a true car enthusiast. Even in my prejudices I am open to all cars, and as a result have attained quite a bit of knowledge about….well, just about every new car (and quite a few old ones I might add). So it was for this reason I decided to look into the Japanese manufacturers motor show goods---just for shits and giggles. What I found there deeply disturbed me. It solidified the qualms I had been having for the last year or so about the new trend in automotive design. So, for the next two pages or so, I will be voicing my opinion on the status of the Automotive industry. On everything from exterior design, to marketing techniques---I HAVE AN OPINION. If you care nothing about cars, I apologize, for you will find this paper extremely boring. But even if you have seen a Ford Focus on the road and thought, “Wow…that’s kinda ugly,” this paper will resonate something in you.

any opinions? this is the thread to voice your opinion on any car, manufacturer, marketing trends, etc....anything goes. i just want opinions about current Automobiles

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    oh god.... go read www.autoextremist.com, read the entire site, over 2 years worth.

as for my personal opinion... I could fill 500 on teh industry as a whole.... try limiting it to marketing or exterior design... OR.... interior design would be interesting, but difficult in some fashion.

I'd pick marketing personally... there's lot of good stuff there.... I will be back later with some personal opinions.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    ya dasmafia....i was just realizing how broad a topic i'd picked. i've narrowed it down to exterior design and about 2 pages on Consumer-Manufacturer relations (basically, are the manufacturers giving the people what they want)

My Cars
    E46 325i, E60 545i 6sp
    the market is way too competitive now, cars that dont need 7000 hp motors are making them now.

suvs need to burn in hell because even though you may be safe from an accident in one and the other victim will surely die. uses too much gas, dangerous, and should be given with offroading classes required or something like that so mother fuckers dont buy them for only groceries

My Cars
    BMW
    yea SUVs are terrible lol i can't see over them

My Cars
    bump. i still need a little more for my paper

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Take it in chapters:

Marketing Tactics
    Sales Practices
    Financing Options
    Consumer Buying Behavious
    Government Regulations
    Design Direction.

Limit it to those things and you'll have a 30-50 page paper that you'll get an A on with very little effort.

My Cars
    ya, problem: only has to be 3. i'll probably limit this one to exterior design, then do marketing tactics on the next paper...and so forth. so by the end of the year i should have a pretty comprehensive collection of papers

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    Well, first of all, you are free-writing, meaning you aren't supposed to stop writing until you are finished with the paper

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    95 318ic/sc +11 tsx
    I have a few opinions

they may not be helpful but maybe it may help you brainstorm

99% of what gm produces is crap....corvette is nice could use a
    more quality interior instead of that cheap plastic and vinyl like leather
    chrysler has doing a great job of reviving a once
    crappy company. they produce cars other companies only dream of

Germans and italians have the skills
    although bmw's are starting to disgust me lately.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    stop with the f'n retros...move on. leave the letterman jacket in the attic, stop with your Fonziness and design! not copy.
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    Toyota Sequoia
    Opinions (in no particular order, just as they materialize in my meager brain)

US cars remind me of USA Today or eating at a McDonalds.
    A couple of basic chassis types and different trim levels & badging. Fare for the common man. Sport to them is nifty wheel covers.
    Truth in labelling. A car should have a minimum of 1 hp per hundred pounds vehicle weight or better to qualify for the word Sport

Government regulations........
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
    The public needs someone to protect it from the mentally challanged rule makers.

Insurance Companies.....Quite simply the single largest group of whores ever to collectively operate, & sadly w/ govt mandate.

Speed enforcement........
    There ought to be a classification whereby a person can take extensive training and his car meet rigorous safety standards for exemption from pain in the ass speed limits on the open highways. Say the left lane is only for cars bearing a special sticker and the driver must have a special permit.
    In concert with this all left lane squatting SUVs and tourist types that have no clue as to what lane discipline really means, should face the firing squad at dawn. (Yeah, and Fammke Janssen is knocking at my front door right about now. : )

Car commercials that don't insult my intelligence.
    I want to meet some of those SUV's in the Desert Southwest.
    There, I hope to demonstrate aerodynamic friction color change for real, and that "Like a Rock" is really the way the domestic car handles.

My greatest hope is that one day BMW Munich will wake up and cease treating the US enthusiast like a bastard step-child.
    Sell the GTR here in the States.
    Make and market an M7.
    Offer this market the myriad of options available to the European buyer.
    Have everyone at Design Works submit to an immediate visual acuity examination and psychological evaluation.

Maybe in the next life........
    Simeon

Ventura, Calif. / Scottsdale, Ariz. / Tucson, Ariz
    My Cars
    '96 BMW
    1. Ford Focus isn't ugly
    2. You like euro design, yet you criticize the Focus?
    3. Cars are better now than they've ever been
    4. Lets see you sketch a car.

Ventura, Calif. / Scottsdale, Ariz. / Tucson, Ariz
    My Cars
    '96 BMW
    Originally posted by CrotchMonster
    the market is way too competitive now, cars that dont need 7000 hp motors are making them now.

suvs need to burn in hell because even though you may be safe from an accident in one and the other victim will surely die. uses too much gas, dangerous, and should be given with offroading classes required or something like that so mother fuckers dont buy them for only groceries
    Companies make SUVs and people buy them. Don't like SUVs? Move to Cuba where you can drive a vintage 1960's car that gets worse mileage than an SUV and weigh about the same. I'm tired of this anti-SUV bullshit. "Use too much gas" so? Nascars use a lot of gas too. Any car that's driven a lot and fast uses a lot of gas. I just don't get your point. Almost everything uses gas. I bet out of everything that uses gas, SUVs make a very small dent in our supply compared to a passenger car. My dad and I did calculations and found that buying a 540i averaging 20 miles per gallon would save him 320 dollars a year than his GMC Yukon averaging 15 miles per gallon. 320 dollars per year is CHUMP CHANGE.

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    here's something to run with:

who do you market to? which focus groups do you use? example follows...

if you are GM, do you endeavor to biuld a car that will please your existing customers, the loyal ones who wouldn't consider buying from the competition anyway? OR do you market to the people who would even consider being SEEN in a GM product??? who do you pick for your focus group?

for examples of this in practice, SEE: Buick, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet passenger cars.

now... look at the people who are winning market share by constantly appealing to a larger and larger market without erroding their existing customer base (toyota and honda)... how do they do that? they EDUCATE the consumer, they tell them what to think and how to think.

now look at corporate profit margins with relation to that revalation.... starts to make sense!

NOW..... derivative styling? or LOOK AT ME styling. which one works better to build sales and the bottom line? (and I'm not talking fleet sales and DEEPLY discounted deals.... full retail customers).

I still like to talk about marketing in the automotive segments... and Matt can share some of these sentiments:

1) 0% financing... WHY???????
    2) Market Share or Margin?
    3) Unions and their effect on the market
    4) Why do Honda and Toyota Dealerships have reputations so much better than their "domestic" counterparts in so many markets? and how does that play in sales figures.
    5) does service matter?
    6) a BMW in every driveway? why and whynot.
    7) brand erosion
    8) the SUV connundrum.....

each of THOSE is worth 5+ pages of ranting.... where do you want me to go?
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"