Thread: European car E36 buyers guide

European car E36 buyers guide

The March issue has the E36 buyers guide. There were some problems listed that applied to the M3 (nothing we don't already know) like the water pumps for the 95-97 M3's, and some thermostat and water neck issues, soft tranny mounts, weak ball joints, and the valve spring retainers for the early M3's.
    It mentioned the problem some people have had w/ the shifter sticking in 5th gear when the car is cold w/ the ZF transmission and that Jim Blanton from performance gearing is working on a fix (is this old news?).
    One thing I didn't know that was mentioned was that "the rear sway-bar mounting points can bend if larger aftermarket bars are used and the car is cornered hard"
    That can't be good. What good are aftermarket sways if you're not going to corner fast?

And in the "opinions of many, including the author, E30's are more dependable than any E36, given approptiate care."
    Most of the maintenence stuff I need to do the M3, I also need to do to the E30, but then again the E30 is 13 years old already

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3

Re: European car E36 buyers guide

Originally posted by Estoril ART
    One thing I didn't know that was mentioned was that "the rear sway-bar mounting points can bend if larger aftermarket bars are used and the car is cornered hard"
    Turner Motorsports has a weld in fix for this which cost around $40 if I remember correctly. How do I know? I just had it done on Thurs If you want more info contact Turner Motorsports @ 978 388-7769. I would post Dave's email but would be afraid he might shoot me if he has a full box in the morning

Dave, thanks for staying up till 11:45 P.M. welding all the stuff up for me!!!!!

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    My understanding is that if you have stock springs and a aftermarket bar, that is when you run into problems. That puts most of the body roll on the sways. If you have stiff springs and aftermarket sways it puts a lot of load on your springs so your ok.

But cars that see a lot of tack time should have this done regardless.

Let me know if this is correct, or if Im smoken:
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Hmm, mine was pretty flex. with PSS9 coilovers?? I track the car so not sure you would need this for the street. Your best bet would be to talk to dave @ TMS. I will see if he will chime in or if I can give his email out.

Ok, just spoke with Dave who said that it happens on street and on track cars. He has seen the problem on all types of setups. High mileage, low mileage, factory bars, aftermarket, you get the idea. I am going to pass this on to Dave who is going to forward it on to Doug @ TMS and hopefully he will have the time too tell us a little more about what they have seen ect. I guess Doug is the one that handles us punks Doug, hope your vacation was great. Missed you up there last week!

I personally decided to go and do it b/c it is a cheap piece of insurance. Dave explained to me where they see it and what happens and just felt that it was a good idea.

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    I believe the GC Eibach sways come with the weld in kit.
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    BMWs and Mini's
    Hey guys.

Skiing was good, but cold. -15 on the top of Sugarloaf makes for good snow, short lift lines and frostbite.

Anyway, the most common thing we see is the bracket (the ear that is attached to the subframe) cracks due to the back and forth motion. (bend a spoon enough time and it will fatigue).

We have seen it all cars, street with stock suspension to full racecars, and everything in between.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...DUCT_ID=RE2278

-Doug

Turner Motorsport
    / // Parts and Performance for BMWs
    16 South Hunt Road
    Amesbury, MA 01913
    800-280-6966
    info@turnermotorsport.com

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    GC reinforcement...
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=37629

Bernman reinforcement...
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=39116

I think the Turner reinforcement is close to what I did as a DIY, but I have not see theirs installed, so I can't say for sure. It definately is easier (and usually cheaper) to buy a solution rather than reinvent one, but I needed a challenge that week

My Cars
    E36

Re: European car E36 buyers guide

Originally posted by Estoril ART

And in the "opinions of many, including the author, E30's are more dependable than any E36, given approptiate care."
    I have tried several times to talk Mike Miller into an E36, but the man just loves his E30s. Oh well, as they say, any BMW on a track day, or something like that...

- -Matt
    Sig removed by user.