Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CONVERTIBLES 101: My _____ Doesnt Work. How Do I Fix It???

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
    Seems like the "Official E36 Convertible Top Thread" ought to be included as well... Includes a lot of .pdf links:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?p=4687851
    i looked through them and linked the thread. its too bad some of the attachments there are duplicates. makes it look intimidating, plus its confusing to read.

helpful though, none the less.

i am thinking of reorganizing the first post, to make it less cluttered.

edit - first post reorganized.
    Last edited by palomino; 03-07-2007 at 06:09 PM.

My Cars
    '96 328ic, '05 X5 3.0i
    Palomino, thanks for this site, but I need help. I tried downloading the owners manual but so far I am stuck at 2.7MB out of the 3.5MB and not moving anymore. Do you mind if I just ask you to email me the owner's manual? My email ateneoboy2003@yahoo.com

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by ateneoboy View Post
    Palomino, thanks for this site, but I need help. I tried downloading the owners manual but so far I am stuck at 2.7MB out of the 3.5MB and not moving anymore. Do you mind if I just ask you to email me the owner's manual? My email ateneoboy2003@yahoo.com
    i actually do not have it on my computer.

what i made up above is more of a collection of informative threads about topics that seem to come up ALL the time. it is kind of a crash-course on e36 verts, so to speak.

My Cars
    325 1995 Cabriolet
    Nice compilation of links for the vert crowd... Thanks!

I like driving fast with my top off...

95 325i Convertible. arctic grey metallic, M sideskirts. cold climate option. dove grey leather interior, clear marker lights, and Euro tailights, ski-hatch+sack. rollover protection, passenger airbag. Xenon driving lights w/ mathcing fogs, 18' BBS RXIIs, Dinan Powerdyne supercharger, H&R suspension...

My Cars
    Old, Slow Vert.
    I think we debunked the "straightening the metal rod" thought listed in the FAQ. That rod comes from the factory curved, as it should remain. The issue appeared to surround the fabric surrounding the ends of the metal rod. Often the fabric tears away, which alters the folding of the material, causing it to bunch up in the storage area.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by lseguy View Post
    I think we debunked the "straightening the metal rod" thought listed in the FAQ. That rod comes from the factory curved, as it should remain. The issue appeared to surround the fabric surrounding the ends of the metal rod. Often the fabric tears away, which alters the folding of the material, causing it to bunch up in the storage area.
    i agree with you 100%.

after stitching up the torn loops and straps, my top folds up the right way about 95% of the time now, as opposed to never.

some THINK that straightening out the rod solves the problem, but i attributed this to the fact that the straightened rod somewhat makes up for the torn fabric. it is more a treatment of the symptom rather than a cure for the illness.

My Cars
    2001 330 Convertible
    Thank you for all the manuals...I just got a 94 325 Convertable and I need all the help I can get...Thanks again.

My Cars
    328i Vert

Vert Top Vexation

Hi,

I've been reading posts trying to find a solution to my vert top problem. You all seem to really know what you're talking about, so maybe one of you can give me an answer. Here's the deal:

Nothing happens when I press the button to raise the automatic top. I don't even get any action from the motor. I've checked the fuses (yes, the one by the battery too). Precisely when this problem first developed the trunk lid ceased to latch, so I figured it had something to do with the microswitch under the tonneau cover—can't just be a coincidence, right? There's nothing wrong with the trunk latch. I tried the emerg. release lever under the rear seat and (here's the crazy part) the tonnneau cover wouldn't release.

What's the deal? this defies all my (limited) knowledge of how the emerg. lever works. I really hope one of you has some kind of idea.

Thanks,

DGizzle

My Cars
    1996 328ICA, 2002 325 xiTouring
    Watch my video in the DIY section, even if the emergency leve doesn't release the tonneau cover motor you can still do it by hand. Zach
    I love this car.
    DIY Videos and Help

My Cars
    328i Vert

Stuck Tonneau Cover

Quote Originally Posted by millertimebmw03 View Post
    Watch my video in the DIY section, even if the emergency leve doesn't release the tonneau cover motor you can still do it by hand. Zach
    Zach,

Thanks for the video. And I appreciate your help with my problem. The issue is that I can't get the tonneau cover open, even once I've pulled the emergency lever.

Any ideas what might account for the stuck tonneau cover?

Thanks again,

DGizzle.

My Cars
    In the trunk in the left hand side (in the video I say thumb and finger) the lever needs to be pulled down to release the motor. let me know if this helps.
    DONT USE THE Emergency lever under the seat pop it out by hand!
    I love this car.
    DIY Videos and Help

My Cars
    328i Vert
    unfortunately, i tried pulling the emergency lever prior to reading your warning on this subject. i've now tried disengaging the tonneau cover motor by hand with no success. might this have something to do with my having pulled the lever? maybe i'm just missing the technique. "thumb and finger" for re-engaging it, right? what about disengaging it?

My Cars
    Just pumm the lever on the motor behind the left tail light, (tonneau cover motor )(motor #1) that the cable is connected to. Where I used my thumb in the video (little black lever). and just pull alittle lower and it will pop out if not the hold the lever down and have a buddy try top open and close the tonneau cover (only alittle, ***WARING* if you pull up on the tonneau cover hard while hold the lever down for motor #1 and successfully disengage it, the cove may hit the trunk lid and damage the paint!!!
    Please let me know if this helps!!!!

Zach
    I love this car.
    DIY Videos and Help

My Cars
    ///M3
    This is an awesome thread for vert owners! Thank you very much!

My Cars
    2005 325ci cabriolet
    My 2005 325ci was delivered with option 380 (hardtop preparation). Does anyone know if that confirms it is pre-wired for a hardtop and if so do I still require the installation kit? After contacting 2 dealers I was given 2 different responses.

My Cars
    92 MR2 turbo, 96 328 cabby

Most cluttered website Award goes to . . . . .

Hi there, i got my first BMW a couple of weeks ago, a '96 328 vert and had the old ' tonneau hitting rear spar when folding' issue.
    After a fair bit of searching i found some very useful theories and reasons for this but it wasnt until yesterday i looked into it.
    The reason mine was doing this is because some previous owner had decided to straighten the motor drive rod, so all i had to do was adjust said rod in about 10mm and hey presto !
    And yes it does seal back onto the tonneau top afterwards okay.
    Top quality Bimmer site tho, even if it is a bit cluttered !

Regards, Firestormer.

My Cars
    1996 328I Convertible

Angry Top Cover motor wont engage on reinitalize

The main top motor engaged just fine after using the emergency handle and doing the reset and rengage motors routine. HOWEVER the top cover motor engages but wont lock in place it keeps springing back to the disengage position. Is there a dual spline in there? the cable of the emer unlock are reset correctly.

My biggest problem is that the Power top cover wont go down once the top is UP it goes down fine when putting the top down but when you put the top up it STAYS open.

and I have to hit the emer unlock

Help? I didn't see this in any manual, what microswitch controls the Top Cover Down/ top up? top cover down/ top down works fine.

Help?
    Last edited by VertE36; 10-18-2007 at 03:01 PM.

My Cars
    330ci convertible
    Hello all,,i have a 2003 BMW 33o ci convertible and now i have noticed the roof is taking too long to open and it even does not go all the way down to the storage compartment.the back lid opens and and the roof just stays like it is not yet open.what could it be the problem.i took it to the dealer and they say it might be the pump,,and the pump looks fine to me..another dealer says it is may be some switches..tthe first dealer put the car in the computer and could nit find anything,,and the other dealer,,same thing in nthe computer,,and after say that it might be the switches.anybody can tell me what could it be.looks like convertible owners have to start fixing their own problems as dealers have no idea about the car they sell nowadays/.anybody can help will be very much apprecuated,,thanks

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325 Convertible

convertible top not operating

I have a 1994 325 convertible. It was working great in Oct/Nov. I tried it once in Jan. and I had to try again, then it worked. Now, the back comes up part of the way and then it stops. Sometines it will go back down, sometimes not. I do have the back seat out, but I did not disengage the motor. Thanks for the help, Clay

My Cars
    Om

rset?

Have you tried the reset/resync procedure?

My Cars
    2002 Passat
    Great info! I might not of sold mine if I knew how to resync the top
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    L5
    my home for now
    my passat
    www.kch2o.org
    videos

My Cars
    E36 323i Convertible
    fantastic site... i enjoy reading all of this information, while just waiting for something to go wrong !!! :-)))

My Cars
    '97 328ic Slushbox
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastianforbes View Post
    fantastic site... i enjoy reading all of this information, while just waiting for something to go wrong !!! :-)))
    Never fear - it's a BMW, ---------("NO, that's not a software Bug, ...its a Feature!")

My Cars
    99 m3 convertible
    my convertible stop working all of a sudden. the light use to light up when I push for the top to come off. Would any of you guys know what is wrong with it?

My Cars
    99 m3 convertible
    btw, is all convertible have automatic tops or some come with manual tops

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast