Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Trailing Arm Mounts (Tubes) Ripped From Frame - PICS + QUESTIONS - HELP!!!

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati

Unhappy Rear Trailing Arm Mounts (Tubes) Ripped From Frame - PICS + QUESTIONS - HELP!!!

So, guys...I guess after reinforcing pretty much everything else possible on the car this was the last thing that could possible go - and it went - big time.

Here are some pictures of the rear trailing arm mounts on the driver's side and the passenger side...

The pictures show that my driver's side is still fine and that it's perfectly normal while the passengers side is torn out completely.

My questions for you guys - who makes the reinforcement plates (that I have read about) for the mounts (tubes) and where can I buy them from? I'm gonna check on TMS and Bimmerworld (the usual sites) but I just figured I'd post here first incase there's someone who has had firsthand experience with this.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to reweld it and then put the reinforcement plates over the patched area...

Anyway...here are the pictures of the carnage.

Driver's side...normal.

Passenger side - view of one of the inner mounts...

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    it happens, get a trusted shop/chassis builder to weld it back up

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    it happens, get a trusted shop/chassis builder to weld it back up
    Haha...yep, the car is going in tomorrow to the shop that we trust with all of our cars - I <3 Debold!!! <3333...

Scott (owner) came by to my house personally tonight to check out the car...he said we'd have no problem getting it fixed.

I just wanna know who to go with for the reinforcement plates and I wanted to share with you guys what's going on.

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    my question is, what were you doing before this happend? And what has the car been through in the past?

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
    my question is, what were you doing before this happend? And what has the car been through in the past?
    Well...I think the right question would be more like what haven't I done...?

To my knowledge - the car has been well taken care of by the previous owners - the last owner being Matt - who is a great guy...

I'm thinking that it has to do mostly with my driving style and I also had a small incident a month or two ago with a work truck - it basically came out of an intersection into my lane and I had to swerve and the rear end came out just a little bit and tagged the curb...enough to upset the camber.

My guess is that it's a combination of that and my driving habits...I'm just thankful it didn't fail on me mid-slide or at 160mph.

Here's what I mean by...err, "driving habits"...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...59116406&hl=en

Not only that but the car is going to be put through lots more auto-x and track days...soooo...this is kind of important to me.

My Cars
    '04 TiAg 3er
    ouch.

...any vids of your car driving, rather than just spinning around?

My Cars
    Cur:S38 Past:S52 M20 M42
    damn...ridiculous video..enough donuts christ.

Just weld it up. Reinforcement plates not required. We had the spot welds break on an E36 racecar that was used hard and put away wet for about 4 years previously. It looks like the pocket that pulled out fo yours could easilty be straightened and put back in place, with a few stitch welds added at the perimeter.

PS - a few stitches on a tracked car or something used hard are a nice precaution. Not really required, but with some extreme stresses, it will keep the pocket from pulling out.

James Clay
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
    and now we know...
    buying lots of tires

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimely View Post
    ouch.

...any vids of your car driving, rather than just spinning around?
    Yeah...I was just using that as an example.

Besides...it's a lot more tempting when you don't have to turn off ASC...

Quote Originally Posted by hootie View Post
    damn...ridiculous video..enough donuts christ.
    Haha...we were just messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by milKT View Post
    and now we know...
    buying lots of tires
    *finding*

Quote Originally Posted by jamesclay View Post
    Just weld it up. Reinforcement plates not required. We had the spot welds break on an E36 racecar that was used hard and put away wet for about 4 years previously. It looks like the pocket that pulled out fo yours could easilty be straightened and put back in place, with a few stitch welds added at the perimeter.

PS - a few stitches on a tracked car or something used hard are a nice precaution. Not really required, but with some extreme stresses, it will keep the pocket from pulling out.
    Thankyou for the advice...do you think the reinforcement plates would be a good idea just because? I just don't want this happening again...

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by m3beemer16 View Post
    thats some nice as drifting.. Ive people talking about your vidoes and drifting on other threads, but thats the 1st time Ive seen the videos... very impressive? Do you do contest or are you sponsored? What are the specs on your car? HP? Looks fun!
    Thanks...nothing too crazy in the video.

Anyway, the car has just the basic stuff on it and full suspension...I do as many events as I can and no I am not sponsored...

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    do you think the reinforcement plates would be a good idea just because? I just don't want this happening again...
    Up to you. The issue was that the welds ripped though - not that you needed more metal. Just stitch what you have in there properly.

James Clay
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesclay View Post
    Up to you. The issue was that the welds ripped though - not that you needed more metal. Just stitch what you have in there properly.
    Hmm...I see what you're saying - I was thinking that maybe it'd be possible to fabricate some sort of bracket that could be welded in place around the RTA and behind it? You don't have a link handy to the reinfocers, do you?

My Cars
    03 540i/6,LexusRX350
    Good driving. TMS had and article for their RTAs that had to do with just adding a weld at the existing weld spot for the RTA plate. Something about the weld does not go all the through or something like that.
    2003 540i/6 Sport Alpine White III-Front and rear OEM M5 bumpers with single cut out, M5 # 65 staggered wheels w/10 mm frt spacers, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO, M5 Ft / Rear brakes, SS lines with front Ft / Rear Euro rotors w/aluminum hats, CDV delete, M5 3:15 LSD, Ground Control Coilovers w/remote adjust for rears, M5 rear sway bar w/Beastpower mounts, white gages with stainless rings, M5 pedal covers, Dinan exhaust w/ 18 in Magnaflow resinator, Dinan CAI/High flow intake runners/Throttle Body/Mass Air Meter, Dinan Stage 5 software. Zionsville aluminum radiator w/fan delete, 2 speed electric fan, 545i shifter w/ZHP knob, Alcantara interior, Technical Graphite interior trim, LED lighting ///M

"One day the two great masters will be friends"

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpinaM3 View Post
    Good driving. TMS had and article for their RTAs that had to do with just adding a weld at the existing weld spot for the RTA plate. Something about the weld does not go all the through or something like that.
    I swear, all these issues make me wonder about workmanship at BMW.

My Cars
    1999 M3, 1999 Outback, 1985 VW Camper
    I would reinforce the area with additional material. The metal in that area is too thin. I was faced with the same failure but caught it before the inserts ripped completely out. The shop I took it to folded a piece of 18 gauge (i think) over the edge between the two leading and welded everything out including welds 360 degrees around the inserts.

As for what caused the failure in the first place? Hard driving on blown out bushings. I subcomb to random donuts from time to time ;-)

My Cars
    what else, M3 ;)
    after watching the video, you are my god

RRSperry is online now Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post

BMW never intended the car to be used like that. The cars they use for DTM, or that PTG ran are vastly modified. Seam welded, and reinforced everywhere, and they still break.

I bet that the cars and the way people drive them on this board make up less than .1% of all BMW drivers. The cars are fine if used as intended. Go outside that envelope, and stuff happens...lol With any car.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    BMW never intended the car to be used like that. The cars they use for DTM, or that PTG ran are vastly modified. Seam welded, and reinforced everywhere, and they still break.

I bet that the cars and the way people drive them on this board make up less than .1% of all BMW drivers. The cars are fine if used as intended. Go outside that envelope, and stuff happens...lol With any car.
    +1

My Cars
    red poopbox
    ok, so it seems there is a possible prevention method from RTAB mount failure.......good advice from Bill:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I have seen the thread inserts pull out of the sheet metal. A good way to fix or prevent this is to clean the area of paint and run a bead of weld around the complete insert.

Element Tuning - 2008/2009 NJMP Redline Time Attack/Formula X Champions [Street & Modified]
    RightFootDown

FS: E36 OEM fogs | UUC Chromoly RLCA's

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by orijinal poser View Post
    ok, so it seems there is a possible prevention method from RTAB mount failure.......good advice from Bill:
    I wish that I could have done this before it happened...ugh...

Anyway, I'm still having trouble finding a link to the actual RTA mount reinforcement plates...does anyone even make some or am I going to have to make my own?

My Cars
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500
    Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    I wish that I could have done this before it happened...ugh...

Anyway, I'm still having trouble finding a link to the actual RTA mount reinforcement plates...does anyone even make some or am I going to have to make my own?
    You're going to have to make your own... I've done the stitch welds on the threaded bungs on my race car as I run monoballs back there

My Cars
    1995 M3

Not referring specifically to that problem.
    I mean the OPN, bolts on diff, and a myriad of other issues and not bc the cars are abused.

My Cars
    German Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    The E36 in particular was an exercise in corporate cost cutting.

FWIW, and to be fair, I've heard that the TUV does specify that a certain percentage of recycled material be used in the production of each new car. Why BMW would use subpar materials in an area as critical as a suspension mount, well - that's the scary part.

My Cars
    1999 M3, 1995 325Ti,

+1 RRSperry, and hello Eldersburg. I work in Marriottsville (and Butler), hope to see you around some time.

+1 on McNair and Boller - Both stink

1999 M3 coupe - lots of mods
    1995 Club Sport 325 Ti - lots of mods
    1998 318 Ti - RIP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast