Thread: New 2002 owner with questions

My Cars
    '86 ITA prepped MR2, '04 F-250

New 2002 owner with questions

Hey guys, I picked up a 76 yesterday in decent shape. It does have some floor rot on the driver side by the pedal box, and in the spare tire well. I've found the 2002AD site, but was wondering if there are any other places that I can pick up body panels(floor and trunk) to weld in.

I also wanted to know what the best(most comprehensive) service manual is:
    Haynes, Chiltons, BMW factory service manual?

and where is the best place to purchase.

Thanks,
    J.D.

My Cars
    74 '02tii, 70 '02, 74 '02, 75 '02
    awsome!

There are a number of places to get used body pannels --
    http://www.double02salvage.com/
    has had some pretty reasonable prices when I called.

2002 haus is also good (plus there is a kickcback for the FAQ available there)
    http://www.2002haus.com/faq/

As for manuals the blue binder (bmw service) has the most comprehensive but those can be hard to find/spendy. I have a chiltons and it covers the main issues pretty well.

Another great book is BMW '02 Restoration Guide: 1600 and 2002 Turbo 1966-1975 by Mike Macartney

and last there are a bunch of articles and information about your new car at the FAQ
    http://www.bmw2002faq.com

enjoy & happy 02ing!

My Cars
    1968 2002
    I've used both the Haynes manual and the '02 Restoration Guide on my car. So far (knock on wood) I haven't been able to not solve a problem.

My Cars
    Thanks for the info. I need to find an online diagram showing what size fuses go in which spot under the hood. Anybody know of one?

My Cars
    2x74tii,75, 76
    floor panels are available from Mike Perry at <mpelly at adelphia dot net> for $195 each (last time I asked). Ask Rob Torres at 2002Haus, he always have good body parts too. good luck.

My Cars
    2x74tii,75, 76
    Web master ate the e-mail address: here is Mike's e-mail mpelly at adelphia dot net

My Cars
    1970 BMW 2002, 2011 135i
    i just picked up a 1973 '02 for the motor and i have brand new floor pans that came with it....the drivers side pan has not been installed yet, although it looks like there are a couple tack marks on it like the had fit it before, and the passenger side is welded in, but i could cut it out....i'm not planning on using them so i'd let them go at a good price if you're interested. also the gas tank is newer if you're in need of one. i'm not 100% sure they'll fit in a 76, but i'm sure someone on here can verify for us.

OldSkoolBMW
    1970 2002, 1986 GTI VR6, 2011 135i

My Cars
    This is all great info. The car is a blast to drive for sure.....the steering is really tough though... Between the big wheel and no power steering. It actually almost feels too hard to turn. My race car, an 86 Toyota MR2, raced in ITA, has no power steering and it is very nimble, of course there is no weight up front. I wonder if the steering box on the '02 needs to be rebuilt and is heavy because of it. The car is very tight with no play, but heavy in steering. Is this just the nature of the car, or is this a symptom of some sort?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by 1976verona2002 View Post
    This is all great info. The car is a blast to drive for sure.....the steering is really tough though... Between the big wheel and no power steering. It actually almost feels too hard to turn. My race car, an 86 Toyota MR2, raced in ITA, has no power steering and it is very nimble, of course there is no weight up front. I wonder if the steering box on the '02 needs to be rebuilt and is heavy because of it. The car is very tight with no play, but heavy in steering. Is this just the nature of the car, or is this a symptom of some sort?
    hmm. It wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level in the steering box. You see the red plug on the steering box? Clean around that really really good (so no grit falls in there) and pop it off. Then fill it to the brim with hypoid 90.

If it looks really really sludgy maybe suck it out and put in fresh 90.

My Cars
    I'll check that, I didn't even think about it.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by 74tii View Post
    hmm. It wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level in the steering box. You see the red plug on the steering box? Clean around that really really good (so no grit falls in there) and pop it off. Then fill it to the brim with hypoid 90.

If it looks really really sludgy maybe suck it out and put in fresh 90.

My Cars
    hopefully thats it. The difference between a fully lubed steering box and one that is low is pretty dramatic.

Even with a CR box with a 13 inch steering wheel once you get moving things should be smooth as silk and very responsive. Parking etc with the CR can be a pain, but a standard box and the big steering wheel like yours, making corners should be nearly effortless & cranking the wheel when stationary shouldn't be any big deal at all.

so something is up with your ride if its at all hard to turn when moving.