Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just Dyno'd my car: results and comparisons

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3

Just Dyno'd my car: results and comparisons

This is from the recent dyno day we had at Church Automotive. the dyno my car ran on was a dynapack 4000. i had run there before with my current mods minus the track pipe and was decently content with the results, but my A/F was all messed (too rich) and my car was misfiring. after lots of troubleshooting i came up with the idea to unplug my MAF...yes, you heard right. so i've been driving the car around without the MAF plugged in for quite some time and wanted to get it dyno'd...here's what i got (note: this dynapack typically reads between 10-15 higher than dynojets):

as you can see i actually gained power...quite a bit actually. you'll also notice that there is absolutely no drop in torque anywhere with the addition of the track pipe.

wanna see why unplugging my MAF actually helped me? here:

look at my A/F differences between having the MAF plugged in and not having it plugged in (plugged in is the lighter lines).

something else to notice is that after around 5500rpm my rwhp line kinda flattens out. i was talking to Church and he mentioned that it seems like the car is having breathing issues (either on the exhaust side or the intake) at higher RPMs. sounds logical to me, so i'm thinking i need to clean my air filter and possibly get some headers.

here's a comparison of my dyno graph and an e46 M3 a buddy of mine owns (m28 on here) when his car was relatively stock. only upgrades to his car were catback and center section of exhaust. the graph:

pretty obvious which lines are mine, i surely don't rev to 8000rpm
    also, you can ignore the title of the dyno graph where it says Gary. he had his car on the dyno when the guy was printing the graph out so i guess it left his file title on there.
    the interesting thing to look at is the huge gap in peak torque numbers with both cars

My current mod list:
    M50 Intake Manifold
    Conforti 3.5" CAI
    AA Custom Software
    3.5" HFM
    Fan Delete
    Strömung Exhaust
    UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel w/ Stg1 Clutch
    AA Track Pipe
    Last edited by jworms; 01-02-2022 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Updated links
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Interesting. The e46s torque is way up there but the rwhp isnt too far from yours.

Did you actually feel a difference when you installed the 3.5" hfm and aa software? A couple of people I know with OBDII M3s didnt really notice much. Just wondering what your thoughts on it were.
    -Joe

My Cars
    02' M3 & '98 M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestM3/4 View Post
    Interesting. The e46s torque is way up there but the rwhp isnt too far from yours.

Did you actually feel a difference when you installed the 3.5" hfm and aa software? A couple of people I know with OBDII M3s didnt really notice much. Just wondering what your thoughts on it were.
    look again thats jworms torque he make way more torque than the E46 M3!! but AAs tune is kind of better in low rpms cause without the MAF hes running rich but hes still making way more power down there. Hes making alot of power without it though!??!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    What do they use to convert the wheel hp/tq numbers to flywheel numbers? So 260/260 at the flywheel seems doable with your mods. I'll have to try the unplugged maf the next time I get my car in for a dyno.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Flywheel?

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLLZacK
    look again thats jworms torque he make way more torque than the E46 M3!!
    exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by cstang68 View Post
    What do they use to convert the wheel hp/tq numbers to flywheel numbers? So 260/260 at the flywheel seems doable with your mods. I'll have to try the unplugged maf the next time I get my car in for a dyno.
    it's not flywheel hp, it's rwhp but without the drivetrain loss from the wheels/tires. like i mentioned it's between 10-15 higher than a dynojet, so you could say that i would get between 245-250rwtq and between 249-254rwhp on a dynojet. you can see this with the relatively stock e46 dyno where he makes 260rwtq/296rwhp
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    SOLD

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by jworms View Post
    exactly!

it's not flywheel hp, it's rwhp but without the drivetrain loss from the wheels/tires. like i mentioned it's between 10-15 higher than a dynojet, so you could say that i would get between 245-250rwtq and between 249-254rwhp on a dynojet. you can see this with the relatively stock e46 dyno where he makes 260rwtq/296rwhp
    The dyno sheets say flywheel HP and flywheel torque.

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
    don't look at what it says. i don't know why they put that there. in order to get flywheel horsepower we'd have to pull the engine and set it up on an engine dyno...this dyno measures at the wheel hubs which would be affected by drivetrain loss.

here's a bunch of information on dynapack dynos:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/...ting/id12.html

if that were flywheel hp the e46 M3 is only making 296 hp. you can call it what you want, doesn't matter to me. i mostly posted for the comparisons.

SOLD

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by jworms View Post
    don't look at what it says. i don't know why they put that there. in order to get flywheel horsepower we'd have to pull the engine and set it up on an engine dyno...this dyno measures at the wheel hubs which would be affected by drivetrain loss.

here's a bunch of information on dynapack dynos:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/...ting/id12.html

if that were flywheel hp the e46 M3 is only making 296 hp. you can call it what you want, doesn't matter to me. i mostly posted for the comparisons.
    I know what a dynapack is, I was just thrown off by the wording on the image. Some shops will add 15%-18% to the results to estimate flywheel HP. By looking at your mods list, it seems that this is what they may have done. If not, congrats for having a strong NA M3.

My Cars
    2012 BE GTR, C63 AMG
    yes it sure does and is just a heading. there is no real way to calculate flywheel hp as im sure your aware of. only way to do so is to take the motor out and dyno it on a brake dyno. if it was a flywheel hp number then the E46 M only has what 297 flywheel hp?? but regardless of what the number say you cant deny the comparrison.

Hammad

My Cars
    Cosmos 740iL Sport
    The reason this dyno's higher than a dynojoke is because the bloody wheels are off the car.

less rotational mass = less power lost in the drive train.

This dyno may be good for tuning, but I wouldn't go bragging about the results you get from it.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by iamnotsakred View Post
    yes it sure does and is just a heading. there is no real way to calculate flywheel hp as im sure your aware of. only way to do so is to take the motor out and dyno it on a brake dyno. if it was a flywheel hp number then the E46 M only has what 297 flywheel hp?? but regardless of what the number say you cant deny the comparrison.

Hammad
    As stated in post #9. Some shops will add 15%-18% to the results to estimate flywheel HP.

Comparison of what to what?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I think he means compared to the stock E46 M3 dyno.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by cstang68 View Post
    I think he means compared to the stock E46 M3 dyno.
    That sheet says that it's of a Z Coupe.

My Cars
    02' M3 & '98 M3/4
    Yea thier sheets are all messed up, he dyno'd at our dyno day so more than a few members can confirm this including the owner of the Z coupe(sound of Speed).. be as skeptical as you want but compared to the E46 M3 dyno it shows how much more power hes putting out without cams!! Chasis dynos don't take into account the weight of the wheels but there isn't any percentage added because E46 M3s would not dyno 296 hp to the crank or flywheel...

My Cars
    02' M3 & '98 M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchelrl View Post
    The reason this dyno's higher than a dynojoke is because the bloody wheels are off the car.

less rotational mass = less power lost in the drive train.

This dyno may be good for tuning, but I wouldn't go bragging about the results you get from it.
    I think you can brag when you put out more torque and about as much power as an E46 M3 and again this is all without cams believe it or not
    Last edited by BaLLZacK; 02-12-2007 at 06:01 PM.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLLZacK View Post
    Yea thier sheets are all messed up, he dyno'd at our dyno day so more than a few members can confirm this including the owner of the Z coupe(sound of Speed).. be as skeptical as you want but compared to the E46 M3 dyno it shows how much more power hes putting out without cams!! Chasis dynos don't take into account the weight of the wheels but there isn't any percentage added because E46 M3s would not dyno 296 hp to the crank or flywheel...
    Sounds like he has a beast of an NA M3 then.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    Hah I wish, their error.

I made only 195whp

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound Of Speed View Post
    Hah I wish, their error.

I made only 195whp
    It's not whp without a "w"

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Would you prefer hhp? (hub horsepower) ?
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound Of Speed View Post
    Hah I wish, their error.

I made only 195whp
    That's still pretty good for a Z3, isn't it?

My Cars
    02' M3 & '98 M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by TC535i View Post
    It's not whp without a "w"
    Although one can argue it is whp since thats what we're putting to the wheels while roller dynos measures what your putting to the ground so maybe that should be changed to ghp???

minus 17-20hp and call it a day Dyno numbers are not very comparable in the first place...

My Cars
    Cosmos 740iL Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLLZacK View Post
    I think you can brag when you put out more torque and about as much power as an E46 M3 and again this is all without cams believe it or not
    Ok, Just because a Dyno says thats what they're puting down, doesn't mean it's accurate. By the way it's being described, it sounded like the guys run the shop like a bunch of monkies sodomizing a football.

It takes about $5,000 more dollars to get up into the 260whp range on an S52 with stock internals.

bring it to a good shop with a mustang dyno then come rub it in my face if you can even come within 20 whp of what this dyno is blowing up your ass.

My Cars
    95 M3,04TL 600CBRShifter
    Dynapac's are from NewZeland, they call the rotors flywheels there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    Congrats to all of you who hang on to an old car & love it for what it is today, 'cause it aint the speed of the car, the age, or anything about it that matters, it's all about the enjoyment factor, and most of us simply enjoy the hell out of our old e36 M3's.
    Whoops
    Black Matco side locker, almost new, $1k

WTB black Sparco Pro 2000's

That dyno reads way to high. Go and get some dynojet numbers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast